    a larger one. How do I go about it and get the new one to boot and save my
    old HD info.? I am using Window XP Home edition. I don't want to buy Windows
    XP just to get a larger HD. I do have Stomp Backup Prog. Thanks. Bill

    BHOOK, May 15, 2004

  2. BHOOK

    Ryan 8088 Guest

    From the sound of it, it seems you don't already have Windows XP in a
    legalized copy. Or is it just on the manufacturer's restore disks? If so,
    then you can with ease run the disks on the new hard disk and get XP on
    there.

    Ryan 8088, May 15, 2004

  3. BHOOK

    BHOOK Guest

    No. I have a legal copy. Just don't want to have to install all of Windows
    updates again. It takes forever with a dialup connection.

    BHOOK, May 15, 2004
  4. BHOOK

    Sunny Guest

    Order the free CD :
    http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/cd/order.asp

    Sunny, May 15, 2004
  5. BHOOK

    BHOOK Guest

    But how do I get all the programs and stuff from the old HD to the new one?

    BHOOK, May 15, 2004
  6. BHOOK

    John Guest

    do a google for xxcopy it is freeware and i transferred my win98 hd to a
    larger one don`t know if it works with xp though.
    hth
    john
    "BHOOK" <> wrote in message
    > But how do I get all the programs and stuff from the old HD to the new

    one?
    > "Sunny" <> wrote in message
    > > Order the free CD :
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/cd/order.asp
    > >
    > > "BHOOK" <> wrote in message
    > > > No. I have a legal copy. Just don't want to have to install all of

    > Windows
    > > > updates again. It takes forever with a dialup connection.
    > > > "Ryan 8088" <> wrote in message

    If
    > > so,

    > on

    and

    > > save
    > > > my

    buy

    > Bill

    ---

    John, May 15, 2004
  7. Howdy!

    "BHOOK" <> wrote in message
    > Please walk me through this. I want to remove my old smaller HD and

    install
    > a larger one. How do I go about it and get the new one to boot and save my
    > old HD info.? I am using Window XP Home edition. I don't want to buy

    Windows
    > XP just to get a larger HD. I do have Stomp Backup Prog. Thanks. Bill

    Check your software stash. A lot of recent "Norton Systemworks"
    packages includes Ghost - which is just perfect for this kind of thing!

    There's also Drive Image (formerly from PowerQuest, now from
    Symantec also), and several others that will copy a complete WinXP install
    from one disk to another.

    The latest software from the drive manufacturer might also - since I
    own Ghost, I use that myself.

    RwP

    Ralph Wade Phillips, May 15, 2004
  8. BHOOK

    David Wood Guest

    > But how do I get all the programs and stuff from the old HD to the new one?

    Most hard drive manufacturers provide a utility to do just that. Just
    set your new hard drive as master, and your old one as slave. Boot from
    a startup disk with this utility (depending on what hard drive you get,
    it might come with a cd that includes this), and follow the directions.

    David Wood, May 15, 2004
  9. BHOOK

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "David Wood" <> wrote in message
    > > But how do I get all the programs and stuff from the old HD to the new

    one?

    > Most hard drive manufacturers provide a utility to do just that. Just
    > set your new hard drive as master, and your old one as slave. Boot from
    > a startup disk with this utility (depending on what hard drive you get,
    > it might come with a cd that includes this), and follow the directions.

    It does work great. And you don't have to buy anything. If (like me) the OP
    buys an OEM (white label) drive (they cost less but have little or no
    warranty) instead of a retail packaged drive, they can download the software
    from the drive manufacturer and use that.

    Toolman Tim, May 15, 2004
  10. BHOOK

    oothlagre Guest

    Drive Image could not copy the GUID from 2000/XP systems unless they updated
    before selling out. It won't let you log on after you run the image......

    I use Norton Ghost 2003 and it is the best. You can do an image over a
    network connection to a remote PC. Very cool.

    oothlagre, May 16, 2004