    clogged up with viruses or spyware that reloading is the best option. So it
    would be nice if I could make an image of a fresh install and write to a cd
    that the user could boot off and restore system themselves.

    Bryan, Jul 19, 2007

  2. Bryan

    Alan Guest

    You could do that with Ghost and a simple batch file I think.

    Not sure about freeware options (Acronis were offering Acronis 9 for
    free a while back, but that may no longer be available). There must
    be many Linux options I would have thought.

    HTH,
    --

    Alan.

    else associated with me.

    My current valid email address is:

    email address.

    ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb

    Alan, Jul 20, 2007

  3. In message <Xns99736FE5986D7gulfnutgmailcom@203.109.252.31>, Bryan wrote:

    > So it would be nice if I could make an image of a fresh install and write
    > to a cd that the user could boot off and restore system themselves.

    If this is Windows you're talking about, I'd say that was a violation of
    Microsoft's licensing terms.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 20, 2007
  4. Bryan

    Ray Greene Guest

    On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 22:57:48 +0000 (UTC), Bryan <>
    wrote:

    >Here is what I want to do, basically a sytem restore disk that any novice
    >can use. What (preferably freeware ) program can I use to make an image of
    >a hard drive that can be restored with the aid of a batch file. I guess the
    >image would need to written to a cd or split over several cds. Its
    >surprising the number of people who still don't have dvd drives. I seem to
    >spend a lot of time reloading windows for people who get there system so
    >clogged up with viruses or spyware that reloading is the best option. So it
    >would be nice if I could make an image of a fresh install and write to a cd
    >that the user could boot off and restore system themselves.

    Image For Windows/Image For DOS will do the job. It's not free though.
    www.terabyteunlimited.com

    --
    Ray Greene

    Ray Greene, Jul 20, 2007
  5. Bryan

    neutrino Guest

    On Jul 20, 8:04 pm, Ray Greene <> wrote:
    > On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 22:57:48 +0000 (UTC), Bryan <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Here is what I want to do, basically a sytem restore disk that any novice
    > >can use. What (preferably freeware ) ~~ ~~ ~ ~ snip

    Take a look at http://www.xxclone.com/
    it has a freeware version, and though I'v not looked at it to any
    depth - I reckon
    it'll do what you want. I use Norton ghost V9 which personally I'd
    not be without,
    either that or Acronis True Image, both do the job excellently.
    Though I'v only trialed Acronis - and that Was some time ago, a few
    years in fact!
    but even so - it looked Good! but for a freeby ~ this one above is the
    only one I know of.

    neutrino, Jul 20, 2007
  6. Bryan

    JohnO Guest

    On Jul 20, 2:14 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > In message <Xns99736FE5986D7gulfnutgmail...@203.109.252.31>, Bryan wrote:
    >
    > > So it would be nice if I could make an image of a fresh install and write
    > > to a cd that the user could boot off and restore system themselves.

    > If this is Windows you're talking about, I'd say that was a violation of
    > Microsoft's licensing terms.

    That completely depends on what licenses they hold.

    JohnO, Jul 21, 2007
  7. In message <>, JohnO
    wrote:

    > On Jul 20, 2:14 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    > central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    >> In message <Xns99736FE5986D7gulfnutgmail...@203.109.252.31>, Bryan wrote:
    >>
    >> > So it would be nice if I could make an image of a fresh install and
    >> > write to a cd that the user could boot off and restore system
    >> > themselves.

    >> If this is Windows you're talking about, I'd say that was a violation of
    >> Microsoft's licensing terms.

    > That completely depends on what licenses they hold.

    The usual thing with Dimdows software is to assume users are guilty until
    they can prove they're innocent. Isn't it?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 21, 2007
  8. Bryan

    Ray Greene Guest

    On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 18:08:31 -0700, JohnO <> wrote:

    >On Jul 20, 2:14 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    >central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    >> In message <Xns99736FE5986D7gulfnutgmail...@203.109.252.31>, Bryan wrote:
    >>
    >> > So it would be nice if I could make an image of a fresh install and write
    >> > to a cd that the user could boot off and restore system themselves.

    >> If this is Windows you're talking about, I'd say that was a violation of
    >> Microsoft's licensing terms.

    >That completely depends on what licenses they hold.

    I don't believe any Windows license prohibits you from backing up your
    hard drive.

    --
    Ray Greene.

    Ray Greene, Jul 21, 2007
  9. In message <>, Ray Greene wrote:

    > On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 18:08:31 -0700, JohnO <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Jul 20, 2:14 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    >>central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:

    >>> If this is Windows you're talking about, I'd say that was a violation of
    >>> Microsoft's licensing terms.

    >>That completely depends on what licenses they hold.

    > I don't believe any Windows license prohibits you from backing up your
    > hard drive.

    From the XP Home EULA <http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/eula.mspx>:

    1.1 Installation and use. You may install, use, access, display and run
    one copy of the Software on a single computer, such as a workstation,
    terminal or other device ("Workstation Computer").

    Notice it specifically says "one copy", not "two copies" or any other
    number. And just to remove any ambiguity:

    3. RESERVATION OF RIGHTS AND OWNERSHIP. Microsoft reserves all rights
    not expressly granted to you in this EULA.

    Note that word "expressly": that means, if the EULA doesn't specifically say
    you're allowed to do something, then you're not allowed to do it.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 21, 2007
  10. Bryan

    Ray Greene Guest

    On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 23:04:38 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    <_zealand> wrote:

    >In message <>, Ray Greene wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 18:08:31 -0700, JohnO <> wrote:

    >>>That completely depends on what licenses they hold.

    >> I don't believe any Windows license prohibits you from backing up your
    >> hard drive.

    >From the XP Home EULA <http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/eula.mspx>:
    >
    > 1.1 Installation and use. You may install, use, access, display and run
    > one copy of the Software on a single computer, such as a workstation,
    > terminal or other device ("Workstation Computer").
    >
    >Notice it specifically says "one copy", not "two copies" or any other
    >number. And just to remove any ambiguity:
    >
    > 3. RESERVATION OF RIGHTS AND OWNERSHIP. Microsoft reserves all rights
    > not expressly granted to you in this EULA.
    >
    >Note that word "expressly": that means, if the EULA doesn't specifically say
    >you're allowed to do something, then you're not allowed to do it.

    That says you can't install your copy of Windows on multiple
    computers. What does it have to do with backing up your hard drive?

    --
    Ray Greene

    Ray Greene, Jul 21, 2007
  11. In message <>, Ray Greene wrote:

    > On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 23:04:38 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    > <_zealand> wrote:

    >>> I don't believe any Windows license prohibits you from backing up your
    >>> hard drive.

    >>From the XP Home EULA <http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/eula.mspx>:
    >>
    >> 1.1 Installation and use. You may install, use, access, display and
    >> run one copy of the Software on a single computer, such as a
    >> workstation, terminal or other device ("Workstation Computer").
    >>
    >>Notice it specifically says "one copy", not "two copies" or any other
    >>number. And just to remove any ambiguity:
    >>
    >> 3. RESERVATION OF RIGHTS AND OWNERSHIP. Microsoft reserves all rights
    >> not expressly granted to you in this EULA.
    >>
    >>Note that word "expressly": that means, if the EULA doesn't specifically
    >>say you're allowed to do something, then you're not allowed to do it.

    > That says you can't install your copy of Windows on multiple
    > computers. What does it have to do with backing up your hard drive?

    Because that would involve making more than one copy. Which is forbidden.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 21, 2007
  12. Bryan

    Ray Greene Guest

    On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 23:15:16 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    <_zealand> wrote:

    >In message <>, Ray Greene wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 23:04:38 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    >> <_zealand> wrote:

    >>>From the XP Home EULA <http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/eula.mspx>:
    >>>
    >>> 1.1 Installation and use. You may install, use, access, display and
    >>> run one copy of the Software on a single computer, such as a
    >>> workstation, terminal or other device ("Workstation Computer").
    >>>
    >>>Notice it specifically says "one copy", not "two copies" or any other
    >>>number. And just to remove any ambiguity:
    >>>
    >>> 3. RESERVATION OF RIGHTS AND OWNERSHIP. Microsoft reserves all rights
    >>> not expressly granted to you in this EULA.
    >>>
    >>>Note that word "expressly": that means, if the EULA doesn't specifically
    >>>say you're allowed to do something, then you're not allowed to do it.

    >> That says you can't install your copy of Windows on multiple
    >> computers. What does it have to do with backing up your hard drive?

    >Because that would involve making more than one copy. Which is forbidden.

    It says "install, use, access, display and run". Nothing about making
    backups.

    Feel free to keep arguing though. I'm too bored to continue.

    --
    Ray Greene

    Ray Greene, Jul 21, 2007
  13. Bryan

    EMB Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <>, Ray Greene wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 23:04:38 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    >> <_zealand> wrote:

    >> >From the XP Home EULA <http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/eula.mspx>:
    >>> 1.1 Installation and use. You may install, use, access, display and
    >>> run one copy of the Software on a single computer, such as a
    >>> workstation, terminal or other device ("Workstation Computer").
    >>>
    >>> Notice it specifically says "one copy", not "two copies" or any other
    >>> number. And just to remove any ambiguity:
    >>>
    >>> 3. RESERVATION OF RIGHTS AND OWNERSHIP. Microsoft reserves all rights
    >>> not expressly granted to you in this EULA.
    >>>
    >>> Note that word "expressly": that means, if the EULA doesn't specifically
    >>> say you're allowed to do something, then you're not allowed to do it.

    >> That says you can't install your copy of Windows on multiple
    >> computers. What does it have to do with backing up your hard drive?

    > Because that would involve making more than one copy. Which is forbidden.

    Nowhere does it say you can't make more than one copy, it just says you
    can't install, use, access, display and run more than one copy (and who
    does that with backup media).

    EMB, Jul 21, 2007
  14. Bryan

    Mickey Mouse Guest

    > Because that would involve making more than one copy. Which is forbidden.

    Not according to the EULA.

    YOU AGREE TO BE BOUND BY THE TERMS OF THIS EULA BY INSTALLING, *COPYING* ,
    OR OTHERWISE USING THE SOFTWARE.

    1.5 Storage/Network Use. You may also store or install *a copy* of the
    Software on a storage device, such as a network server, used only to install
    or run the Software on your other Workstation Computers over an internal
    network

    14. TERMINATION. Without prejudice to any other rights, Microsoft may
    terminate this EULA if you fail to comply with the terms and conditions of
    this EULA. In such event, you must destroy *all copies* of the Software and
    all of its component parts.

    Mickey Mouse, Jul 21, 2007
  15. In message <f7ss50$g41$>, Mickey Mouse wrote:

    >> Because that would involve making more than one copy. Which is forbidden.

    > Not according to the EULA.
    >
    > YOU AGREE TO BE BOUND BY THE TERMS OF THIS EULA BY INSTALLING, *COPYING* ,
    > OR OTHERWISE USING THE SOFTWARE.
    >
    > 1.5 Storage/Network Use. You may also store or install *a copy* of the
    > Software on a storage device, such as a network server, used only to
    > install or run the Software on your other Workstation Computers over an
    > internal network

    Interesting that you snipped the rest of that clause:

    ... internal network; however, you must acquire and dedicate an
    additional license for each separate Workstation Computer on or from
    which the Software is installed, used, accessed, displayed or run.
    Except as otherwise permitted by the NetMeeting and Remote Assistance
    features described above, a license for the Software may not be shared
    or used concurrently on different Workstation Computers.

    So it's quite clear: such copying is only allowed if you buy additional
    Windows licences for the copies.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 22, 2007
  16. In message <>, EMB wrote:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >> In message <>, Ray Greene
    >> wrote:

    >>> That says you can't install your copy of Windows on multiple
    >>> computers. What does it have to do with backing up your hard drive?

    >> Because that would involve making more than one copy. Which is forbidden.

    > Nowhere does it say you can't make more than one copy, it just says you
    > can't install, use, access, display and run more than one copy (and who
    > does that with backup media).

    Well you do have to "use" backup media, do you not. So that is also subject
    to the "one copy" restriction.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 22, 2007
  17. In message <>, Ray Greene wrote:

    > On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 23:15:16 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    > <_zealand> wrote:
    >
    >>In message <>, Ray Greene wrote:

    >>> That says you can't install your copy of Windows on multiple
    >>> computers. What does it have to do with backing up your hard drive?

    >>Because that would involve making more than one copy. Which is forbidden.

    > It says "install, use, access, display and run". Nothing about making
    > backups.

    Correct. Therefore making backups is forbidden by clause 3.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 22, 2007
  18. Bryan

    Mickey Mouse Guest

    > In message <f7ss50$g41$>, Mickey Mouse wrote:

    >>> Because that would involve making more than one copy. Which is
    >>> forbidden.

    >> Not according to the EULA.
    >>
    >> YOU AGREE TO BE BOUND BY THE TERMS OF THIS EULA BY INSTALLING, *COPYING*
    >> ,
    >> OR OTHERWISE USING THE SOFTWARE.
    >>
    >> 1.5 Storage/Network Use. You may also store or install *a copy* of the
    >> Software on a storage device, such as a network server, used only to
    >> install or run the Software on your other Workstation Computers over an
    >> internal network

    > Interesting that you snipped the rest of that clause:
    >
    > ... internal network; however, you must acquire and dedicate an
    > additional license for each separate Workstation Computer on or from
    > which the Software is installed, used, accessed, displayed or run.
    > Except as otherwise permitted by the NetMeeting and Remote Assistance
    > features described above, a license for the Software may not be shared
    > or used concurrently on different Workstation Computers.
    >
    > So it's quite clear: such copying is only allowed if you buy additional
    > Windows licences for the copies.

    Your false assertion was that making copies is forbidden, yet it is apparent
    from the XP EULA that it is a recognised practice.

    And yes, if you intend installing and running Windows from a stored image on
    *additional* computers other than the one you have a licence for, then you
    need a corresponding licence for each additional system - this is standard
    practice. The XP EULA is based on the principle of one licenced installation
    for one operational workstation at one time.

    Mickey Mouse, Jul 22, 2007
  19. Bryan

    Bongo Guest

    On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 11:43:22 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > In message <>, Ray Greene wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 23:15:16 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    >> <_zealand> wrote:

    >>>Because that would involve making more than one copy. Which is forbidden.

    >> It says "install, use, access, display and run". Nothing about making
    >> backups.

    > Correct. Therefore making backups is forbidden by clause 3.

    Stop being a fuckin plonker.

    Bongo, Jul 22, 2007
  20. In message <f7u98i$n06$>, Mickey Mouse wrote:

    >> In message <f7ss50$g41$>, Mickey Mouse wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <_zealand> wrote in
    >>> message news:f7spnq$1dn$...

    >>> Not according to the EULA.
    >>>
    >>> YOU AGREE TO BE BOUND BY THE TERMS OF THIS EULA BY INSTALLING, *COPYING*
    >>> ,
    >>> OR OTHERWISE USING THE SOFTWARE.
    >>>
    >>> 1.5 Storage/Network Use. You may also store or install *a copy* of the
    >>> Software on a storage device, such as a network server, used only to
    >>> install or run the Software on your other Workstation Computers over an
    >>> internal network

    >> Interesting that you snipped the rest of that clause:
    >>
    >> ... internal network; however, you must acquire and dedicate an
    >> additional license for each separate Workstation Computer on or from
    >> which the Software is installed, used, accessed, displayed or run.
    >> Except as otherwise permitted by the NetMeeting and Remote Assistance
    >> features described above, a license for the Software may not be shared
    >> or used concurrently on different Workstation Computers.
    >>
    >> So it's quite clear: such copying is only allowed if you buy additional
    >> Windows licences for the copies.

    > Your false assertion was that making copies is forbidden, yet it is
    > apparent from the XP EULA that it is a recognised practice.

    Copying under clause 1.5 only seems to be allowed if you buy additional
    licences.

    > And yes, if you intend installing and running Windows from a stored image
    > on *additional* computers other than the one you have a licence for, then
    > you need a corresponding licence for each additional system - this is
    > standard practice. The XP EULA is based on the principle of one licenced
    > installation for one operational workstation at one time.

    It also doesn't seem to allow additional stored images on the same computer.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 22, 2007