    another drive or is this something that should be professionally done?

    TIA
    Vanmier
    vanmier, Dec 15, 2007

  2. vanmier

    Robert Baer Guest

    vanmier wrote:

    > I have a hard drive that won't boot up. It won't even spin up with
    > power. Is there any way to retrieve the data? Could I put the data
    > medium into another drive or is this something that should be
    > professionally done?
    >
    > TIA
    > Vanmier

    If the hard drive does not spin up, the only way to get the data is
    take it to a hard drive data recovery place where they have all of the
    tools to do that (including but not limited to ultra clean workstations).
    Expensive tho.
    Too bad you did not *BACKUP* the HD...
    ....but it seems nobody does that.
    I gave up preaching that years ago as it seemed to do no good.

    So now i say "tough sh*t"!
    Robert Baer, Dec 15, 2007

  3. vanmier

    vanmier Guest

    Thank you. I figured as much.

    Vanmier

    vanmier, Dec 15, 2007
  4. vanmier

    sandy58 Guest

    On Dec 15, 5:20 am, "vanmier" <vanmier AT peoplepc DOT com> wrote:
    > I have a hard drive that won't boot up. It won't even spin up with power.
    > Is there any way to retrieve the data? Could I put the data medium into
    > another drive or is this something that should be professionally done?
    >
    > TIA
    > Vanmier

    I take it that you have tried it in another PC, as slave, on it's own
    IDE ribbon, jumper changes, power connection........et al? How old
    is it? What make/size etc? Was/is it alone/master?
    sandy58, Dec 15, 2007
  5. vanmier

    vanmier Guest

    Yes, it was the master drive in my mother-in-laws computer. I would say
    that it is at least five years old. I have tried it in my computer, but no
    go. It isn't here at the moment, so I would only be guessing at brand and
    size, but I woud say it was either a Maxtor or Western Digital and bigger
    than 2 GB but smaller than 10GB. I very seriously doubt that it was any
    bigger than 10GB. She took it to work to have a friend's husband take a
    look at it. I'll have her bring it home the next time she works and post
    the info then.

    Vanmier
    vanmier, Dec 16, 2007
  6. vanmier

    Bobby Guest

    On Dec 15, 12:31 am, Robert Baer <> wrote:
    > vanmier wrote:
    > > I have a hard drive that won't boot up. It won't even spin up with
    > > power. Is there any way to retrieve the data? Could I put the data
    > > medium into another drive or is this something that should be
    > > professionally done?

    > > TIA
    > > Vanmier

    > If the hard drive does not spin up, the only way to get the data is
    > take it to a hard drive data recovery place where they have all of the
    > tools to do that (including but not limited to ultra clean workstations).
    > Expensive tho.
    > Too bad you did not *BACKUP* the HD...
    > ...but it seems nobody does that.
    > I gave up preaching that years ago as it seemed to do no good.
    >
    > So now i say "tough sh*t"!

    A more helpful reply would be to tell him to buy an IDE to USB adapter
    and retrieve whatever desktop items, data, etc and then go and buy a
    new hard drive for Ma! Why bother to reply if you have nothing
    constructive to say, anyway? Bored?
    Bobby, Dec 18, 2007
  7. vanmier

    vanmier Guest

    Not to sound silly, but would that work? Change it to a USB drive and use
    it how? Externally?

    vanmier, Dec 19, 2007
  8. vanmier

    - Bobb - Guest

    If the drive doesn't SPIN ( you DID try to change power ? ... maybe put
    drive in another PC ?) then can't use at all - USB won't help..

    - Bobb -, Dec 25, 2007