    documentation that came with it. Can I buy a hard drive that says ATA/100 or
    ATA/133?

    ---

    Scout Lady, Aug 23, 2003

  2. Scout Lady

    Osprey Guest

    "Scout Lady" <> wrote in message
    news:bi8a6p$6j4jc$-berlin.de...
    > I have a Gateway ESSENTIAL 433C with a bad hard drive. The hard drive is a
    > Quantum lct10 10.2-GB 5400-RPM Ultra ATA/66 Hard Disk Drive according to

    the
    > documentation that came with it. Can I buy a hard drive that says ATA/100

    or
    > ATA/133?

    You can, no problem. But if your MoBo is only capable of utilising a speed
    of 66 the drives will default to that transfer rate.

    Osprey

    Osprey, Aug 23, 2003

  3. Scout Lady

    S.Heenan Guest

    Scout Lady wrote:
    > I have a Gateway ESSENTIAL 433C with a bad hard drive. The hard drive
    > is a Quantum lct10 10.2-GB 5400-RPM Ultra ATA/66 Hard Disk Drive
    > according to the documentation that came with it. Can I buy a hard
    > drive that says ATA/100 or ATA/133?

    You can use any ATA 33/66/100/133 hard drive on that board. Due to BIOS
    limitations, I recommend using an ATA-100/133 controller card. In this way
    you
    get the full size and speed benefits of the new drive with minimal expense.
    If you shop around, some hard drive makers include a controller card in the
    retail package.
    --
    Winerr 012 - Cash Underflow - Credit Card Number Will Be Assimilated

    S.Heenan, Aug 23, 2003