hard drive help needed

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by graham, Jun 26, 2003.

  1. graham

    graham Guest

    hi,small problem

    ive been running succesfully a 40gb hard drive as master with operating
    system and a 2nd drive as slave(no problems)

    ive sold the second hard drive and got an 80 gb drive,ive set the jumpers
    and booted up
    the bios screen recognizes the hard drive,but the control panel doesnt so in
    effect i can use it ive tried various settings but to no avail,when i go in
    to system information it says the hard drive is there and there isnt a
    problem
    why cant i see and use this hard drive

    do i need to disconnect the first hard drive and use a floppy then format ?

    it was a new hard drive

    any help would be most appreciated
    thanks
    graham
    graham, Jun 26, 2003

  2. graham

    Alan Guest

    ?

    > it was a new hard drive
    >
    > any help would be most appreciated
    > thanks
    > graham

    Before you can use the new HDD you will need to run fdisk and format the
    drive AFTER running fdisk. Your PC should then be able to see it.

    If this doesn't help check the IDE cable is sevure (sometime they can pull
    and come out a little). Also check the the HDD isn't faulty. I had a similar
    problem with HD and it turned out to be faulty.

    Alan.
    Alan, Jun 26, 2003