Hard drive formatting

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Faffnir, Aug 8, 2007.

  1. Faffnir

    Faffnir Guest

    Hi, I've been planning to format my harddrive to get my computer
    cleaned up. I didn't know how to format it, so I searched Google, but
    I couldn't find any case like mine.
    My hard drive is partitioned thus:
    C: - system drive, with Windows 2000 SP4 - NTFS
    D: - secondary windows drive - NTFS
    And a suse linux install, which should be a main partion, a swap and a
    home. I don't exactly know their filesystems.
    When I installed Linux, my windows drives were both fat32, and linux
    could read them. But later, I converted the fat drives to ntfs, and
    Linux took it as if they had disappeared.
    This way, I got two Operating systems, that are unaware of each others
    presence.

    Now, most guides on the internet tells you to format C:, but in my
    case, that would leave a lot of partitions, and I want everything out.

    What do you recommend me to do ?

    Thabks in advantage,
    Faffnir

    Faffnir, Aug 8, 2007

  2. Faffnir

    Mara Guest

    On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 11:45:29 -0000, Faffnir <> wrote:

    >Hi, I've been planning to format my harddrive to get my computer
    >cleaned up. I didn't know how to format it, so I searched Google, but
    >I couldn't find any case like mine.
    >My hard drive is partitioned thus:
    >C: - system drive, with Windows 2000 SP4 - NTFS
    >D: - secondary windows drive - NTFS
    >And a suse linux install, which should be a main partion, a swap and a
    >home. I don't exactly know their filesystems.

    EXT2, EXT3, or ReiserFS.

    >When I installed Linux, my windows drives were both fat32, and linux
    >could read them. But later, I converted the fat drives to ntfs, and
    >Linux took it as if they had disappeared.
    >This way, I got two Operating systems, that are unaware of each others
    >presence.
    >
    >Now, most guides on the internet tells you to format C:, but in my
    >case, that would leave a lot of partitions, and I want everything out.
    >
    >What do you recommend me to do ?

    Use the Partitioner in SuSE to remove its own partition. Then use a boot disk
    and get rid of the other non-FAT partitions, and reformat both drives, after you
    repartition them.

    --
    Are you the police? . . . . No ma'am, we're sysadmins.

    Mara, Aug 8, 2007

  3. Faffnir

    TT Guest

    On 8/8/07 7:45 AM, in article
    , "Faffnir"
    <> wrote:

    > Hi, I've been planning to format my harddrive to get my computer
    > cleaned up. I didn't know how to format it, so I searched Google, but
    > I couldn't find any case like mine.
    > My hard drive is partitioned thus:
    > C: - system drive, with Windows 2000 SP4 - NTFS
    > D: - secondary windows drive - NTFS
    > And a suse linux install, which should be a main partion, a swap and a
    > home. I don't exactly know their filesystems.
    > When I installed Linux, my windows drives were both fat32, and linux
    > could read them. But later, I converted the fat drives to ntfs, and
    > Linux took it as if they had disappeared.
    > This way, I got two Operating systems, that are unaware of each others
    > presence.
    >
    > Now, most guides on the internet tells you to format C:, but in my
    > case, that would leave a lot of partitions, and I want everything out.
    >
    > What do you recommend me to do ?
    >
    > Thabks in advantage,
    > Faffnir

    Do you have another PC(can you borrow a friend's for 5 minutes) to hook
    this up to as a 2nd drive..then it's cake..obviously, if you don't then use
    SUSE and a boot disk...

    TT, Aug 8, 2007
  4. Faffnir

    Mara Guest

    On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 08:12:14 -0400, TT <> wrote:

    <snip>

    > Do you have another PC(can you borrow a friend's for 5 minutes) to hook
    >this up to as a 2nd drive..then it's cake..obviously, if you don't then use
    >SUSE and a boot disk...

    Why would you want to go to all the trouble of pulling a drive resetting the
    jumpers, etc., and installing it in another system just to do the same thing you
    would have had to do originally?

    --
    Are you the police? . . . . No ma'am, we're sysadmins.

    Mara, Aug 8, 2007
  5. Faffnir

    TT Guest

    On 8/8/07 8:16 AM, in article ,
    "Mara" <> wrote:

    > On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 08:12:14 -0400, TT <> wrote:
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    >> Do you have another PC(can you borrow a friend's for 5 minutes) to hook
    >> this up to as a 2nd drive..then it's cake..obviously, if you don't then use
    >> SUSE and a boot disk...

    > Why would you want to go to all the trouble of pulling a drive resetting the
    > jumpers, etc., and installing it in another system just to do the same thing
    > you
    > would have had to do originally?

    If he had access to a 2nd PC and wasn't a complete idiot, pulling the
    side panel off of the case, switching the jumper to slave or CS, right
    clicking on the drive( in Windows-if that's the OS on the 2nd PC) and
    choosing "Format" is easy. I've done it many times when a format wasn't
    going smoothly...The HD doesn't even have to be attached to the case...it
    can just hang at the end of the cable...HD's will work in any direction...

    TT, Aug 8, 2007
  6. Faffnir

    Faffnir Guest

    Thank you al for the answers. I am in fact going to back up data on
    another computer by hooking up my hd to it. Does format option in
    windows format the entire disk or just the ntfs part (which is the
    only one wndows reads) ?

    Thanks again,
    Faffnir

    Faffnir, Aug 8, 2007
  7. Faffnir

    Mara Guest

    On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 10:05:55 -0400, TT <> wrote:

    >On 8/8/07 8:16 AM, in article ,
    >"Mara" <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 08:12:14 -0400, TT <> wrote:
    >>
    >> <snip>
    >>
    >>> Do you have another PC(can you borrow a friend's for 5 minutes) to hook
    >>> this up to as a 2nd drive..then it's cake..obviously, if you don't then use
    >>> SUSE and a boot disk...

    >> Why would you want to go to all the trouble of pulling a drive resetting the
    >> jumpers, etc., and installing it in another system just to do the same thing
    >> you
    >> would have had to do originally?
    >>

    > If he had access to a 2nd PC and wasn't a complete idiot, pulling the
    >side panel off of the case, switching the jumper to slave or CS, right
    >clicking on the drive( in Windows-if that's the OS on the 2nd PC) and
    >choosing "Format" is easy. I've done it many times when a format wasn't
    >going smoothly...The HD doesn't even have to be attached to the case...it
    >can just hang at the end of the cable...HD's will work in any direction...

    I can see doing that if the OP can't access anything on that hard drive, but he
    can. So, while your suggestion would be good for some cases, it's not necessary
    here.

    --
    Are you the police? . . . . No ma'am, we're sysadmins.

    Mara, Aug 8, 2007
  8. Faffnir wrote:
    > Thank you al for the answers. I am in fact going to back up data on
    > another computer by hooking up my hd to it. Does format option in
    > windows format the entire disk or just the ntfs part (which is the
    > only one wndows reads) ?

    It'll just format the C: drive. If you have access to Partition Magic,
    it can do the job. Or take the advice from other answers to this thread.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Aug 9, 2007
  9. Faffnir

    Toast Guest

    Faffnir <> wrote in news:1186603555.240858.70740@
    19g2000hsx.googlegroups.com:

    > Thank you al for the answers. I am in fact going to back up data on
    > another computer by hooking up my hd to it. Does format option in
    > windows format the entire disk or just the ntfs part (which is the
    > only one wndows reads) ?
    >
    > Thanks again,
    > Faffnir

    If using WinXP...

    Start > Control Panel > Admin Tools > Computer Management > Disk
    Management.

    (Not sure of equivalent steps in Win2K)

    Maximise this screen. You should be able to see schematics of all drives
    attached to the PC and the partitions within them. Right click on a
    partition; you'll see an option to format. Formats are done one at a
    time.

    I can't think of an option within WinXP that permits formatting an entire
    HDD regardless of its partition structure in a single destructive step.
    The option may exist, but I don't know about it.

    For partition management independant of Windows 'Partition Magic' is
    commonly suggested. It's good but will cost you. Just as good are the
    open source 'GParted' and 'PartedMagic'. These are Linux-based live CDs -
    download the ISO image and burn it yourself. PartedMagic includes GParted
    and the download is about 30 MB. Either is well worth having. (If you
    don't know how to burn an ISO to CD and DVD a very simple to use tool is
    called BurnCDCC. Small download and does not install.)

    You don't need to know how to drive linux to use them - very straight
    forward. Their GUIs are very easy to navigate for people who've never
    driven a linux OS before. PartedMagic/GParted can format, resize, slide
    and copy partitions and supports all file systems - FAT, NTFS, Linux.
    With them you can do a full format without the need to install drive to
    another PC.

    Another option for partition management is BootitNG. It's very good (my
    standby at least) but there is a steep learning curve to master its
    minimalist GUI.

    David

    Toast, Aug 9, 2007
  10. Faffnir

    Faffnir Guest

    Thanks again :). It sounds easiest to use the Partedmagic method,
    I'll probably do that.
    Faffnir

    Faffnir, Aug 9, 2007
  11. Faffnir

    Guest

    Faffnir wrote:
    > Hi, I've been planning to format my harddrive to get my computer
    > cleaned up. I didn't know how to format it, so I searched Google, but
    > I couldn't find any case like mine.
    > My hard drive is partitioned thus:
    > C: - system drive, with Windows 2000 SP4 - NTFS
    > D: - secondary windows drive - NTFS
    > And a suse linux install, which should be a main partion, a swap and a
    > home. I don't exactly know their filesystems.
    > When I installed Linux, my windows drives were both fat32, and linux
    > could read them. But later, I converted the fat drives to ntfs, and
    > Linux took it as if they had disappeared.
    > This way, I got two Operating systems, that are unaware of each others
    > presence.
    >
    > Now, most guides on the internet tells you to format C:, but in my
    > case, that would leave a lot of partitions, and I want everything out.
    >
    > What do you recommend me to do ?
    >
    > Thabks in advantage,
    > Faffnir

    Doesn't SUSE have a partition manager of some sort?

    , Aug 9, 2007
  12. Faffnir

    Plato Guest

    Faffnir wrote:

    > Now, most guides on the internet tells you to format C:, but in my
    > case, that would leave a lot of partitions, and I want everything out.

    Then wipe the drive or get rid of all your partitions, or both.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Aug 9, 2007
  13. Faffnir

    Faffnir Guest

    Thank you all.
    I've finally got the hd formattet and is writing this from my new
    winxp install.
    I ended up using the 'parted magic' linux live-cd.
    Thanks again (would have taken me a long time to work out my self),
    Faffnir

    Faffnir, Aug 10, 2007
  14. Faffnir

    ClueLess Guest

    On 9 Aug 2007 17:01:05 -0500, Plato <|@|.|> wrote:

    >Faffnir wrote:
    >>
    >> Now, most guides on the internet tells you to format C:, but in my
    >> case, that would leave a lot of partitions, and I want everything out.

    Best thing would be to use a small proggy named Slate that will remove
    everything at one stroke and your hard disk will be in a condition as
    when you bought it.

    Now you can easily repartition to your liking and install all the OS
    you want.

    Sorry I do not remember the download link but it should be available
    at Simtel and other sites. You can Google for it.

    HTH

    ClueLess

    ClueLess, Aug 12, 2007