hard drive filled itself up

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by halrae, May 23, 2004.

  1. halrae

    halrae Guest

    G'day Folks
    Got a question for you.
    Yesterday out of the blue the hard drive was going like crazy. It sounded
    like when you defrag. I checked the task manager and nothing was operating
    yet the hard drive was going crazy. I checked the properties and it showed
    that it was 54% full, however on Friday I defragged and had only 20% used. I
    searched for any new programs that might have been loaded on the computer in
    the last 24 hours and it showed that I had 2 c drives? one was called HDD C:
    which is the right one and the other was called Local hard drive c:
    When I searched what was in the drive it showed that it was a duplication of
    my C: and was getting larger, it just kept expanding itself and filling the
    hard drive.
    I immediately pulled the plug , waited a bit and rebooted , the pc hard
    drive was best part full.
    I rolled the pc back a couple of days and no change to the hard drive, so I
    rolled it back even further but still no change.
    I ended up having to restore windows XP home edition. Thank God that the
    partition where the original files were kept were unaffected.
    I have a Pentium IV 3GHZ and 120 gig HDD. Running the firewall.
    Has any one ever heard of this? I am on broadband ? But that should not
    effect the virus protection, using Norton's and updated auto when I connect.
    If any one has some light to shed on this it would be greatly appreciated..
    Is there something in XP that I did not know about and clicked on it by
    accident or what????
    thanks heaps for listening
    halrae

    halrae, May 23, 2004

  2. halrae

    Trent© Guest

    On Sun, 23 May 2004 15:47:10 +0800, "halrae" <>
    wrote:

    >G'day Folks
    >Got a question for you.
    >Yesterday out of the blue the hard drive was going like crazy. It sounded
    >like when you defrag. I checked the task manager and nothing was operating
    >yet the hard drive was going crazy.

    There's ALWAYS something operating. Not always applications...but
    processes.

    >searched for any new programs that might have been loaded on the computer in
    >the last 24 hours and it showed that I had 2 c drives? one was called HDD C:
    >which is the right one and the other was called Local hard drive c:
    >When I searched what was in the drive it showed that it was a duplication of
    >my C: and was getting larger, it just kept expanding itself and filling the
    >hard drive.
    >I immediately pulled the plug , waited a bit and rebooted , the pc hard
    >drive was best part full.
    >I rolled the pc back a couple of days and no change to the hard drive, so I
    >rolled it back even further but still no change.
    >I ended up having to restore windows XP home edition. Thank God that the
    >partition where the original files were kept were unaffected.
    >I have a Pentium IV 3GHZ and 120 gig HDD.

    How many partitions?

    >Running the firewall.
    >Has any one ever heard of this? I am on broadband ? But that should not
    >effect the virus protection, using Norton's and updated auto when I connect.
    >If any one has some light to shed on this it would be greatly appreciated..

    If it happens again, right click on the drive...and look at its
    properties. That'll give us more needed info.

    You should also always check your Event Viewer for any clues.

    Not really enough info to understand what really went on.

    Have a nice week...

    Trent©

    Trent©, May 24, 2004