    on and neither one is recognizing the hard drive. The bios is trying to
    autodetect the hard drives but its not working. I can boot off the a: drive
    tho. Any suggestions? Thanks.

    Tim Aberegg, Dec 28, 2003

  2. Tim Aberegg

    HF Guest

    Boot to A: and type 'dir' to see what the drives contain.I would wonder
    about the CMOS battery tho.
    "Tim Aberegg" <> wrote in message
    > Hey everyone, I have two old NEC Versa V/75 laptops that have been sitting
    > around the shop unused for about a year. I plugged them in and turned them
    > on and neither one is recognizing the hard drive. The bios is trying to
    > autodetect the hard drives but its not working. I can boot off the a:

    drive
    > tho. Any suggestions? Thanks.

    ---

    HF, Dec 29, 2003

  3. Tim Aberegg

    Thor Guest

    If the harddrives aren't being recognized by the BIOS, you won't see a damn
    thing by booting to the floppy drive and trying to DIR the harddrive.

    Thor, Dec 29, 2003
  4. First I'd check if the hard drives are enabled in BIOS. If they still don't
    work, make sure the drives are properly connected.

    If you haven't used it for a year, it is possible that it demagnetized, in
    which case you will need a new drive. However, I'm not sure that it
    explains why its not even detected by BIOS.

    =The Anti-n00b=, Dec 29, 2003
  5. Tim Aberegg

    Tim Aberegg Guest

    The BIOS is set up for auto detect of the c: drive. I pulled out the drive
    and re-installed to make sure the connections are good and still no luck.
    New drives probably cost more than these are worth, any other suggestions.
    Tim

    Tim Aberegg, Dec 31, 2003