    The parameter is incorrect.
    I've never done a back up because I am an idiot.
    I'm also not very techy. Can anyone suggest a plan of action?

    =?Utf-8?B?QmVuUA==?=, Aug 1, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?QmVuUA==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    What is its status in Computer Management, Disk Management - What options do
    you have when you right click on it there.

    John Barnes, Aug 1, 2005

  3. On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 19:56:02 +0100, BenP <>
    wrote:

    > I'm running xp home edition. I bought an extra 80gig hard drive a few
    > months
    > back, filled it up and now can't access it at all. When I click on it I
    > get
    > F:\is not accessible.
    > The parameter is incorrect.
    > I've never done a back up because I am an idiot.
    > I'm also not very techy. Can anyone suggest a plan of action?

    What type of filesystem? FAT32, NTFS?

    you should be able to open a command prompt and type "chkdsk /r /f
    driveletter:" e.g: "chkdsk /r /f c:"

    Mark Gillespie, Aug 1, 2005
  4. =?Utf-8?B?QmVuUA==?=

    Kevin Panzke Guest

    "BenP" <> wrote in message
    > I'm running xp home edition. I bought an extra 80gig hard drive a few
    > months
    > back, filled it up and now can't access it at all. When I click on it I
    > get
    > F:\is not accessible.
    > The parameter is incorrect.
    > I've never done a back up because I am an idiot.
    > I'm also not very techy. Can anyone suggest a plan of action?

    Special Notice: This is the 64 Bit Windows Newsgroup (ex. Windows XP/2003
    X64 Edition, Windows Vista Beta 1 X64 Edition, and the Microsoft 64 Bit OS's
    for Intel Itanium Systems). Windows XP Home Edition is not a 64 Bit OS, so
    your post is completely Off Topic to this Newsgroup. Please post your
    question in the proper 32 Bit Windows XP Newsgroups.

    P.S. I am now running Windows Vista Beta 1 X64 Edition, so I am no longer
    Off Topic (just incase you happen to notice the newer version of Outlook
    Express 6.0 that I am using).

    Kevin Panzke, Aug 2, 2005
  5. It doesn't really matter that this thread has been posted in the x64 section,
    as it applies to all versions of XP anyway!

    I hope you've been able to sort out the problems.

    =?Utf-8?B?TWFyayBIYXJ0dC1QYWxtZXI=?=, Aug 2, 2005
  6. =?Utf-8?B?QmVuUA==?=

    Randy Guest

    Actually, the Itanium version of Windows isn't supported in this newsgroup,
    and Vista (Longhorn) has it's own separate newsgroups ("WinFX"). This group
    was created specifically for x64 versions -- Windows XP Pro and Windows 2003
    Server, replacing the prior private newsgroup used for support of their Beta
    versions.

    Randy, Aug 4, 2005
  7. =?Utf-8?B?QmVuUA==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Actually it includes the Itanium version as per Microsoft personnel
    previously. All 64-bit versions use this newsgroup.

    John Barnes, Aug 4, 2005
  8. =?Utf-8?B?QmVuUA==?=

    Randy Guest

    I saw no announcement to that effect anywhere, and doubt MS would gunk up an
    already confused newsgroup dealing with two brand new RTM 64bit OSs by
    adding in an entire new set of repeat questions from even glassier-eyed
    newbies trying to deal with an even more primitive (early *beta*) 64bit
    operating system. That is simply not their policy.

    Please, feel free to post to any links from actual MS personnel (Darrell,
    Mike, etc.; not mere MVPs) who have stated any such claims here or elsewhere
    in the past. Googling the topic gave me no hits. No offense to MVPs; I just
    want to see if this came from the horse's mouth per se.

    Thanks. This could really get unpleasant if you're correct. I am *not* built
    to handle such multitasking... :~P Two released, related operating systems,
    even though they're the first of their kind, I can about handle. But toss in
    another one (or two if you include x32 Vista) which is barely even available
    for bug testing, to a tiny fraction of the geeky public, and I think we're
    asking for troubles. Maybe not, maybe we can somehow make sense from the
    chaos and make Vista's eventual launch that much smoother. I just don't see
    that happening. Buggar...

    Randy, Aug 8, 2005
  9. =?Utf-8?B?QmVuUA==?=

    James Park Guest

    "Randy" <> wrote in message
    > Please, feel free to post to any links from actual MS personnel (Darrell,
    > Mike, etc.; not mere MVPs) who have stated any such claims here or
    > elsewhere
    > in the past. Googling the topic gave me no hits. No offense to MVPs; I
    > just
    > want to see if this came from the horse's mouth per se.

    Check out:

    Re: PTE address of IA64
    7/11/2005 8:00AM
    Mike Brannigan [MSFT]

    I wouldn't worry too much about it getting crowded in here though. Itanium
    threads rarely come up.

    James Park, Aug 9, 2005
  10. =?Utf-8?B?QmVuUA==?=

    James Park Guest

    James Park, Aug 9, 2005
  11. First, excuse me for being an MVP, but since I was actually in on the
    discussions when this group was being decided upon, I think I know a little
    bit about it. But since you don't seem willing to believe me, or the actual
    NAME of the group, perhaps this quote from Mike will help you.

    quote:
    Andre - this group is *.64bit.general and IS for ALL of our 64-bit operating
    systems not just the x64 one.
    --

    Regards,

    Mike
    --
    Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]
    end quote

    --
    Please, all replies to the newsgroup.
    ======================

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 9, 2005
  12. =?Utf-8?B?QmVuUA==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    I wouldn't take it personally, we all know what a great source of knowledge
    and help you are here. :) I'd say indispensable

    John Barnes, Aug 9, 2005
  13. Well, I'm just one of many helping here. But as the MVP with the most posts
    here, I have to assume that at least some of his antipathy was directed at
    me. OTOH, I've been part of the onliine community for litterally 20 years and
    if I hadn't learned to let stuff go, I'd have given up a long time ago.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 9, 2005