Hard drive failure? Please help?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Vector Newman, Jun 11, 2004.

  1. I have 4 hard drives. 2 IBM 60GB, a Western Digital 80GB and an external
    firewire Maxtor 250GB drive. All of a sudden, one of the 60GB drives does
    not appear in My Computer. Nor does it appear under Computer Management
    >Storage>Disk Management. When I look in the device manager however, I see

    all 4 of them and no reports of failures. Running Belarc Advisor shows this:

    IC35L060AVER07-0 [Hard drive] (61.49 GB) -- drive 0, s/n SZPTZ1A2391, rev
    ER6OA44A, SMART Status: Healthy
    IC35L060AVER07-0 [Hard drive] (61.49 GB) -- drive 1, s/n SZTTZLA3608, rev
    ER6OA44A, SMART Status: Healthy
    Maxtor OneTouch IEEE 1394 SBP2 Device [Hard drive] (250.99 GB) -- drive 3
    WDC WD800JB-00CRA1 [Hard drive] (80.03 GB) -- drive 2, s/n WD-WMA8B2771207,
    rev 17.07W17, SMART Status: Healthy

    All 4 are there with correct capacity. It is one of the 60GB drives I cannot
    find and of course, would like to. I have a LOT of photos on that drive. I
    am perplexed by this. How do I get to read the files on this drive that I
    can't find? Any help greatly appreciated here. I am trying not to use the
    term "failure". Don't want to think about that!

    --
    Vector Newman

    **It may be great to be king, but you're never safe on the throne.
    Just ask Elvis.

    Vector Newman, Jun 11, 2004

  2. Vector Newman

    Bob Guest

    Have you installed any new hardware like a CDROM, perhaps it's taking the
    drive letter your HD is trying to assign to itself. Other things to check is
    that the bios is detecting the dirve correctly (LZ SECTORS.. etc.) anyway..
    Process of elimination. I assign a new drive letter to the drive and see if
    it shows up.

    Bob, Jun 11, 2004

  3. Vector Newman

    Henkie Guest

    sounds like all of a sudden the partition is hidden for some reason. was the
    drive in one piece (unpartitioned) ? Try using partition magic to figure out
    what is wrong, very likely this software can repair the situation without
    any damage. need more info just mail me.

    kind regards,
    Henk-Jan

    PS PQ magic is from powerquest

    Henkie, Jun 11, 2004