    F, would it still work with the new system which already has a C and D
    drive?

    , Feb 16, 2004

  2. Jimminee Guest

    Why not?..think it would just show up as drive "G"

    Jimminee, Feb 16, 2004

  3. Guest

    Thanks. But would it just show up as drive G if it's partitioned into
    four parts? Wouldn't that be four drives? That's what I'm wondering
    about.

    >Why not?..think it would just show up as drive "G"
    ><> wrote in message
    >> If I was to buy a hard drive enclosure to hook an old hard drive up to
    >> my new computer, and the old hard drive is partitioned as C, D, E, and
    >> F, would it still work with the new system which already has a C and D
    >> drive?

    , Feb 16, 2004
  4. Budweiser Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > If I was to buy a hard drive enclosure to hook an old hard drive up to
    > my new computer, and the old hard drive is partitioned as C, D, E, and
    > F, would it still work with the new system which already has a C and D
    > drive?

    Why an "enclosure"--are you talking external?
    Why not adjust the jumpers and set it to slave? or for that matter retain it
    as a master and set your new one up as slave?
    Rereading your question, you say you have on the new sys a C and a D
    drive----are these both hard drives? as in seperate,or a single drive
    partitioned?--are they on the same IDE ?
    Do you have cd/dvd drives also?
    A little more info will help out

    Budweiser, Feb 16, 2004
  5. Guest

    Sorry, I've posted so much here lately, I forget where I give the
    whole story and where I don't.

    The new drive is a 120Gb S-ATA drive, partitioned into two equal
    parts, C and D.

    The old drive, which doesn't want to run in the system it came out of
    (IDE drive not detected during boot up) is an 80Gb drive partitioned
    into four equal parts, C, D, E anf F in the old system.

    The new drive is NTFS formatted under Windows XP Pro. The old drive is
    FAT32 under Windows 98SE.

    I've tried a few times to slave the old drive in the new system
    without any luck. I even tried making it the master boot disk with the
    new drive being slaved. When I do that, Windows 98SE loads up, but the
    new drive isn't recognized anywhere. If I hook the old drive as a
    slave, Windows XP only sees one big 80Gb partition. I'm at the end of
    my rope here trying to figure out how to get the data I need off the
    old drive. That's why so many posts.

  6. Sano Guest

    - - spluttered in

    > Sorry, I've posted so much here lately, I forget where I give the
    > whole story and where I don't.
    >
    > The new drive is a 120Gb S-ATA drive, partitioned into two equal
    > parts, C and D.
    >
    > The old drive, which doesn't want to run in the system it came out of
    > (IDE drive not detected during boot up) is an 80Gb drive partitioned
    > into four equal parts, C, D, E anf F in the old system.
    >
    > The new drive is NTFS formatted under Windows XP Pro. The old drive is
    > FAT32 under Windows 98SE.
    >
    > I've tried a few times to slave the old drive in the new system
    > without any luck. I even tried making it the master boot disk with the
    > new drive being slaved. When I do that, Windows 98SE loads up, but the
    > new drive isn't recognized anywhere. If I hook the old drive as a
    > slave, Windows XP only sees one big 80Gb partition. I'm at the end of
    > my rope here trying to figure out how to get the data I need off the
    > old drive. That's why so many posts.

    I've got a new 80GB, in a USB2 enclosure. Had to fdisk and format it,
    manually (w98se) first. Fat32 .

    Plugging it in - it's a USB storage device. And it glomms itself on as the
    last drive letter. I have one hdd, in 5 partions, 3 other ide items (cd-
    rom, cd burner, and dvd-rom).

    Also, I think it's a WD, and I did jumper it as Slave. I just checked.

    Sano, Feb 16, 2004
  7. Budweiser Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Sorry, I've posted so much here lately, I forget where I give the
    > whole story and where I don't.
    >
    > The new drive is a 120Gb S-ATA drive, partitioned into two equal
    > parts, C and D.
    >
    > The old drive, which doesn't want to run in the system it came out of
    > (IDE drive not detected during boot up) is an 80Gb drive partitioned
    > into four equal parts, C, D, E anf F in the old system.
    >
    > The new drive is NTFS formatted under Windows XP Pro. The old drive is
    > FAT32 under Windows 98SE.
    >
    > I've tried a few times to slave the old drive in the new system
    > without any luck. I even tried making it the master boot disk with the
    > new drive being slaved. When I do that, Windows 98SE loads up, but the
    > new drive isn't recognized anywhere. If I hook the old drive as a
    > slave, Windows XP only sees one big 80Gb partition. I'm at the end of
    > my rope here trying to figure out how to get the data I need off the
    > old drive. That's why so many posts.
    >

    > ><> wrote in message
    > >> If I was to buy a hard drive enclosure to hook an old hard drive up to
    > >> my new computer, and the old hard drive is partitioned as C, D, E, and
    > >> F, would it still work with the new system which already has a C and D
    > >> drive?
    > >>

    > >Why an "enclosure"--are you talking external?
    > >Why not adjust the jumpers and set it to slave? or for that matter retain

    it
    > >as a master and set your new one up as slave?
    > >Rereading your question, you say you have on the new sys a C and a D
    > >drive----are these both hard drives? as in seperate,or a single drive
    > >partitioned?--are they on the same IDE ?
    > >Do you have cd/dvd drives also?
    > >A little more info will help out

    First point is please do not start new "threads" for previously asked
    questions------We live in a web world, the answer may not come from your
    time zone------please allow people to wake up,read and reply

    Why not use your original drive as the boot?--copy files to removable media
    etc?
    There are issues with ntfs and fat32--one refuses to read the other,it works
    one way but not the other---think it is ntfs to fat that works, but someone
    will be along to clarify
    Are you sure you are setting the jumpers correctly on the
    drives?----unsure?----try this
    Find the IDE 1 socket,attach ribbon cable,plug end into your new
    drive(nothing else no cd etc)
    Find IDE2 socket,atach ribbon cable, plug end into old hard drive---no cd no
    nothing
    can you see both drives and acces now?

    Budweiser, Feb 16, 2004
  8. Guest

    I tried using each drive as a boot drive. Each booted, one to XP, one
    to 98SE. But neither recognized the other drive. As for your
    suggestion, there's only one IDE plug on the motherboard, so I don't
    have that option. There are two Serial ATA plugs instead of a second
    IDE plug. And I'm sorry about the multiple threads. I'm getting
    confused myself which one I'm writing to. I don't mean to offend
    anyone.

  9. Budweiser Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > I tried using each drive as a boot drive. Each booted, one to XP, one
    > to 98SE. But neither recognized the other drive. As for your
    > suggestion, there's only one IDE plug on the motherboard, so I don't
    > have that option. There are two Serial ATA plugs instead of a second
    > IDE plug. And I'm sorry about the multiple threads. I'm getting
    > confused myself which one I'm writing to. I don't mean to offend
    > anyone.
    > >
    > ><> wrote in message
    > >> Sorry, I've posted so much here lately, I forget where I give the
    > >> whole story and where I don't.
    > >>
    > >> The new drive is a 120Gb S-ATA drive, partitioned into two equal
    > >> parts, C and D.
    > >>
    > >> The old drive, which doesn't want to run in the system it came out of
    > >> (IDE drive not detected during boot up) is an 80Gb drive partitioned
    > >> into four equal parts, C, D, E anf F in the old system.
    > >>
    > >> The new drive is NTFS formatted under Windows XP Pro. The old drive is
    > >> FAT32 under Windows 98SE.
    > >>
    > >> I've tried a few times to slave the old drive in the new system
    > >> without any luck. I even tried making it the master boot disk with the
    > >> new drive being slaved. When I do that, Windows 98SE loads up, but the
    > >> new drive isn't recognized anywhere. If I hook the old drive as a
    > >> slave, Windows XP only sees one big 80Gb partition. I'm at the end of
    > >> my rope here trying to figure out how to get the data I need off the
    > >> old drive. That's why so many posts.

    and

    retain
    > >it
    > >> >

    > >First point is please do not start new "threads" for previously asked
    > >questions------We live in a web world, the answer may not come from your
    > >time zone------please allow people to wake up,read and reply
    > >
    > >Why not use your original drive as the boot?--copy files to removable

    media
    > >etc?
    > >There are issues with ntfs and fat32--one refuses to read the other,it

    works
    > >one way but not the other---think it is ntfs to fat that works, but

    someone
    > >will be along to clarify
    > >Are you sure you are setting the jumpers correctly on the
    > >drives?----unsure?----try this
    > >Find the IDE 1 socket,attach ribbon cable,plug end into your new
    > >drive(nothing else no cd etc)
    > >Find IDE2 socket,atach ribbon cable, plug end into old hard drive---no cd

    no
    > >nothing
    > >can you see both drives and acces now?

    I think what you have is a connectivity issue between the sata and the
    normal ide-well rephrase that--thats your troubles---someone will be along
    to help you sort i am sure--probably a simple setting
    but i have no knowledge of this type of setup/config---let alone what mb you
    are using

    For future info---please try to include all pertinant info in the original
    question (sata/ide) crystal balls are rare

    Budweiser, Feb 16, 2004
  10. Joe Hearn Guest

    up

    > and

    and

    The short answer is yes, it will work. The old 'C:' and subsequent
    partitions get relabeled by WinXP at the end of the drive letters already in
    use. I have one working just as you describe.

    Joe Hearn, Feb 16, 2004
  11. Patrick Guest

    wrote:
    > If I was to buy a hard drive enclosure to hook an old hard drive up to
    > my new computer, and the old hard drive is partitioned as C, D, E, and
    > F, would it still work with the new system which already has a C and D
    > drive?

    Not quite knowing where to jump in on your 'several posts'
    Anyway, it occurs to me that with all the rearranging that you do, you are
    perhaps not giveing the BIOS opportunity to detect them properly (not
    auto-detect).

    How's about trying a Win98SE 'bootdisk.com' boot-disk to see if it can
    detect and load it's drivers for your CD-drive. If this works then it does
    indicate the BIOS *does* see the CD-drive.

    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Patrick, Feb 16, 2004
  12. Mistoffolees Guest

    wrote:
    > I tried using each drive as a boot drive. Each booted, one to XP, one
    > to 98SE. But neither recognized the other drive. As for your
    > suggestion, there's only one IDE plug on the motherboard, so I don't
    > have that option. There are two Serial ATA plugs instead of a second
    > IDE plug. And I'm sorry about the multiple threads. I'm getting
    > confused myself which one I'm writing to. I don't mean to offend
    > anyone.

    According to your earlier thread, the motherboard is an
    Asus P4C800E-Deluxe. Read the manual. Pages 2-23 and 2-24
    shows how to set up the system to boot from Windows XP;
    this is going to be the only way the S-ATA HD and the
    P-ATA HD are going to be compatible. Pages 4-11 and 4-12
    describe how to set up for S-ATA and P-ATA. Paged 4-32
    tells how to set up the proper (i.e., WinXP) boot device
    for this system. HTH & GL.

    Mistoffolees, Feb 16, 2004
  13. Guest

    Thanks. That just might be the real problem. I was going into BIOS to
    set the boot priority but didn't know about this. I do knw that when
    the 80Gb drive was booting up into Windows 98SE, I was getting an
    error message about compatibility. This is probably what it was all
    about. I appreciate all the help from everyone.

    > wrote:
    >> I tried using each drive as a boot drive. Each booted, one to XP, one
    >> to 98SE. But neither recognized the other drive. As for your
    >> suggestion, there's only one IDE plug on the motherboard, so I don't
    >> have that option. There are two Serial ATA plugs instead of a second
    >> IDE plug. And I'm sorry about the multiple threads. I'm getting
    >> confused myself which one I'm writing to. I don't mean to offend
    >> anyone.
    >>

    >According to your earlier thread, the motherboard is an
    >Asus P4C800E-Deluxe. Read the manual. Pages 2-23 and 2-24
    >shows how to set up the system to boot from Windows XP;
    >this is going to be the only way the S-ATA HD and the
    >P-ATA HD are going to be compatible. Pages 4-11 and 4-12
    >describe how to set up for S-ATA and P-ATA. Paged 4-32
    >tells how to set up the proper (i.e., WinXP) boot device
    >for this system. HTH & GL.

    , Feb 16, 2004