    Is my drive about to die? It's out of warranty.

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock
    Nicholas Sherlock, Nov 29, 2005

  2. Nicholas Sherlock

    David Guest

    Nicholas Sherlock wrote:
    > Hey all,
    >
    > I've got a Seagate 80 gig drive running as my main hard drive. I've got
    > everything critical backed up. Lately, while using my computer, my hard
    > drive has made a sort of smooth zap sound, then I can hear the drive
    > spin back up again. No clicking or grinding noises. While it happens,
    > Windows pauses as it is trying to read from the drive. It sounds like
    > the drive is recalibrating itself. It runs at a coolish 30 degrees.
    >
    > SMART seems to report 1 off-line uncorrectable sector, and 1 pending
    > sector, but nothing shows as critical and nothing else is amiss. The
    > count hasn't gone up over the past few days.
    >
    > Is my drive about to die? It's out of warranty.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Nicholas Sherlock

    I had an old 20gig that began doing this, at first it was very rare, but
    became more frequent, so i backed it up, the next day it took windows an
    hour to boot, and the day after that the system declared the drive
    unbootable, so i threw it away.
    David, Nov 29, 2005

  3. Nicholas Sherlock

    XP Guest

    On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 14:24:18 +1300, Nicholas Sherlock <>
    wrote:

    >Hey all,
    >
    >I've got a Seagate 80 gig drive running as my main hard drive. I've got
    >everything critical backed up. Lately, while using my computer, my hard
    >drive has made a sort of smooth zap sound, then I can hear the drive
    >spin back up again. No clicking or grinding noises. While it happens,
    >Windows pauses as it is trying to read from the drive. It sounds like
    >the drive is recalibrating itself. It runs at a coolish 30 degrees.
    >
    >SMART seems to report 1 off-line uncorrectable sector, and 1 pending
    >sector, but nothing shows as critical and nothing else is amiss. The
    >count hasn't gone up over the past few days.
    >
    >Is my drive about to die? It's out of warranty.
    >
    >Cheers,
    >Nicholas Sherlock

    Seagate drives do need to be fan cooled, plus try reseating the Power plug
    and check that its only use for the hard drives and no intermediate
    plug/socked in between, like a Fan connector.

    A it seems to me that the drive is loosing power.
    XP, Nov 29, 2005
  4. XP wrote:
    > Seagate drives do need to be fan cooled, plus try reseating the Power plug
    > and check that its only use for the hard drives and no intermediate
    > plug/socked in between, like a Fan connector.
    >
    > A it seems to me that the drive is loosing power.

    Thanks, there is a fan connector in line with the power. I'll remove it
    and see what happens. There is a fan just below the drive keeping it cool.

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock
    Nicholas Sherlock, Nov 29, 2005
  5. Nicholas Sherlock

    S Roby Guest

    In article <dmgalp$dkd$>, Nicholas Sherlock <> wrote:
    >Hey all,
    >
    >I've got a Seagate 80 gig drive running as my main hard drive. I've got
    >everything critical backed up. Lately, while using my computer, my hard
    >drive has made a sort of smooth zap sound, then I can hear the drive
    >spin back up again. No clicking or grinding noises. While it happens,
    >Windows pauses as it is trying to read from the drive. It sounds like
    >the drive is recalibrating itself. It runs at a coolish 30 degrees.
    >
    >SMART seems to report 1 off-line uncorrectable sector, and 1 pending
    >sector, but nothing shows as critical and nothing else is amiss. The
    >count hasn't gone up over the past few days.
    >
    >Is my drive about to die? It's out of warranty.
    >
    >Cheers,
    >Nicholas Sherlock

    Back up the data, just in case

    Try another power connector, probhably has bad connection
    Try another IDE cable
    S Roby, Nov 29, 2005
  6. Nicholas Sherlock

    GraB Guest

    <> wrote:

    >Hey all,
    >
    >I've got a Seagate 80 gig drive running as my main hard drive. I've got
    >everything critical backed up. Lately, while using my computer, my hard
    >drive has made a sort of smooth zap sound, then I can hear the drive
    >spin back up again. No clicking or grinding noises. While it happens,
    >Windows pauses as it is trying to read from the drive. It sounds like
    >the drive is recalibrating itself. It runs at a coolish 30 degrees.
    >
    >SMART seems to report 1 off-line uncorrectable sector, and 1 pending
    >sector, but nothing shows as critical and nothing else is amiss. The
    >count hasn't gone up over the past few days.
    >
    >Is my drive about to die? It's out of warranty.
    >
    >Cheers,
    >Nicholas Sherlock

    http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

    Speedfan can tell you a lot.
    GraB, Nov 29, 2005
  7. GraB wrote:
    > http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php
    >
    > Speedfan can tell you a lot.

    Thanks, I'm already using "DTemp" which monitors hard drive temperatures
    and SMART status.

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock
    Nicholas Sherlock, Nov 29, 2005
  8. Nicholas Sherlock

    GraB Guest

    On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 19:51:30 +1300, Nicholas Sherlock
    <> wrote:

    >GraB wrote:
    > > http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php
    >>
    >> Speedfan can tell you a lot.

    >Thanks, I'm already using "DTemp" which monitors hard drive temperatures
    >and SMART status.
    >
    >Cheers,
    >Nicholas Sherlock

    I find that I have that too, but looking at it, my Samsung SP1614N
    160GB drive comes up as 128Gb.

    Speedfan gives CPU, System and HDD temp as well as fan speed and HDD
    SMART info and other info, including voltage. At the bottom of the
    SMART tab there is a bar measuring drive fitness and performance. At
    the moment they are both on 100% for me. My old 20Gb Fireball was at
    71% fitness when I upgraded.
    GraB, Nov 29, 2005
  9. Nicholas Sherlock

    thingy Guest

    Nicholas Sherlock wrote:
    > Hey all,
    >
    > I've got a Seagate 80 gig drive running as my main hard drive. I've got
    > everything critical backed up. Lately, while using my computer, my hard
    > drive has made a sort of smooth zap sound, then I can hear the drive
    > spin back up again. No clicking or grinding noises. While it happens,
    > Windows pauses as it is trying to read from the drive. It sounds like
    > the drive is recalibrating itself. It runs at a coolish 30 degrees.
    >
    > SMART seems to report 1 off-line uncorrectable sector, and 1 pending
    > sector, but nothing shows as critical and nothing else is amiss. The
    > count hasn't gone up over the past few days.
    >
    > Is my drive about to die? It's out of warranty.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Nicholas Sherlock

    My understanding is hds can slow down to recover, then speed up again,
    so that sounds bad. Check the power cable is still fully into the drive,
    they can creep out over time.

    If SMART is saying it has errors, I would aim to replace it real soon
    myself.

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Nov 29, 2005
  10. XP wrote:
    > [...] try reseating the Power plug
    > and check that its only use for the hard drives and no intermediate
    > plug/socked in between, like a Fan connector.

    Thanks Roger, that was the solution. My drive is running fine now. That
    poor thing: 3 power cycles in 10 seconds at one point. My fan runs
    quieter too :).

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock
    Nicholas Sherlock, Nov 30, 2005
  11. Nicholas Sherlock

    XP Guest

    On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 17:38:49 +1300, Nicholas Sherlock <>
    wrote:

    >XP wrote:
    >> [...] try reseating the Power plug
    >> and check that its only use for the hard drives and no intermediate
    >> plug/socked in between, like a Fan connector.

    >Thanks Roger, that was the solution. My drive is running fine now. That
    >poor thing: 3 power cycles in 10 seconds at one point. My fan runs
    >quieter too :).
    >
    >Cheers,
    >Nicholas Sherlock

    Yes powering of a Hard drive will often give you errors, and some times that
    are hard to recover from

    I had a drive that had 3 Sectors flagged as Bad due to computer lock ups and
    powering off the PC.

    I decided that the Drive was 100% OK and went about recovering these bad
    sectors.

    Once they are Flagged in the Fat table you can't recover them, but what if
    you reset the flag in the Fat table.

    This I did and all was OK again.

    With Cooling case Fans, it best to use the adapter with a connector that does
    not matter, in one case I fitted Floppy Drive plugs to the Fans as has a few
    sparse..
    XP, Nov 30, 2005
  12. Nicholas Sherlock

    Alan Guest

    "XP" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 17:38:49 +1300, Nicholas Sherlock
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> XP wrote:
    >>> [...] try reseating the Power plug
    >>> and check that its only use for the hard drives and no

    intermediate
    >>> plug/socked in between, like a Fan connector.

    >> Thanks Roger, that was the solution. My drive is running fine now.
    >> That poor thing: 3 power cycles in 10 seconds at one point. My fan
    >> runs quieter too :).
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >> Nicholas Sherlock

    > Yes powering of a Hard drive will often give you errors, and some
    > times that are hard to recover from
    >

    > I had a drive that had 3 Sectors flagged as Bad due to computer lock
    > ups and powering off the PC.
    >
    > I decided that the Drive was 100% OK and went about recovering

    these
    > bad sectors.
    >
    > Once they are Flagged in the Fat table you can't recover them, but
    > what if you reset the flag in the Fat table.
    >

    > This I did and all was OK again.
    >
    > With Cooling case Fans, it best to use the adapter with a connector
    > that does not matter, in one case I fitted Floppy Drive plugs to the
    > Fans as has a few sparse..

    Just out of interest, what do you gain by reclaiming the three
    sectors?

    It doesn't seem to be a worthwhile use of time for such a small amout
    of additional disk space, but presumably there is some other
    motivation that makes it rational? Does it materially improve
    performance for example?

    Thanks,

    Alan.

    else associated with me.

    My current valid email address is:

    email address.

    ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb
    Alan, Nov 30, 2005
  13. Nicholas Sherlock

    XP Guest

    On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 17:59:45 +1300, "Alan" <> wrote:

    >"XP" <> wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 17:38:49 +1300, Nicholas Sherlock
    >> <> wrote:

    >intermediate
    >>>
    >>> Thanks Roger, that was the solution. My drive is running fine now.
    >>> That poor thing: 3 power cycles in 10 seconds at one point. My fan
    >>> runs quieter too :).
    >>>
    >>> Cheers,
    >>> Nicholas Sherlock

    >> Yes powering of a Hard drive will often give you errors, and some
    >> times that are hard to recover from
    >>

    >> I had a drive that had 3 Sectors flagged as Bad due to computer lock
    >> ups and powering off the PC.
    >>
    >> I decided that the Drive was 100% OK and went about recovering

    >these
    >> bad sectors.
    >>
    >> Once they are Flagged in the Fat table you can't recover them, but
    >> what if you reset the flag in the Fat table.
    >>

    >> This I did and all was OK again.
    >>
    >> With Cooling case Fans, it best to use the adapter with a connector
    >> that does not matter, in one case I fitted Floppy Drive plugs to the
    >> Fans as has a few sparse..

    >Just out of interest, what do you gain by reclaiming the three
    >sectors?

    It was a challenge to do it, like why People clime mountains..

    >It doesn't seem to be a worthwhile use of time for such a small amout
    >of additional disk space, but presumably there is some other
    >motivation that makes it rational? Does it materially improve
    >performance for example?

    Yes it helps my Brain..

    XP, Nov 30, 2005
  14. On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 19:20:39 +1300, GraB wrote:

    > Speedfan can tell you a lot.

    Speedfan can tell you nothing for anybody except for those running an
    iteration of Micro$oft Windoze.

    Undeniably Sluttish

    --
    Free software on every PC on every desk.
    Mr Undeniably Sluttish, Dec 3, 2005
  15. Nicholas Sherlock

    David Guest

    Mr Undeniably Sluttish wrote:
    > On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 19:20:39 +1300, GraB wrote:
    >

    >>Speedfan can tell you a lot.

    > Speedfan can tell you nothing for anybody except for those running an
    > iteration of Micro$oft Windoze.
    >

    > Undeniably Sluttish

    Which is the case for most people, and just because it can't run on
    every system doesn't make his statement false.
    David, Dec 3, 2005