    not recognize either the master or the slave on the secondary RAID
    channel. A few re-boot cycles, and everything is fine. So what do
    you think? Motherboard, cable, or hard drive?

    Scribner, Apr 11, 2004

  2. Scribner wrote:

    > XP Pro SP1. I'm running an Abit RAID m/b. I have 2 Western Dig. HD's
    > on the RAID channels, two on the regular IDE, a burner and a CD-ROM.
    > Recently, while the computer was running, I was unable to access the
    > master HD on the secondary RAID channel. When I re-booted, the BIOS
    > didn't see it. Over time, the occasional problem has changed. On a
    > cold boot (computer off for over 12 hours), occasionally the BIOS will
    > not recognize either the master or the slave on the secondary RAID
    > channel. A few re-boot cycles, and everything is fine. So what do
    > you think? Motherboard, cable, or hard drive?

    Favourite has got to be the only thing with moving parts..

    =?UTF-8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?=, Apr 11, 2004

  3. Scribner

    Hamman Guest

    "Scribner" <> wrote in message
    > XP Pro SP1. I'm running an Abit RAID m/b. I have 2 Western Dig. HD's
    > on the RAID channels, two on the regular IDE, a burner and a CD-ROM.
    > Recently, while the computer was running, I was unable to access the
    > master HD on the secondary RAID channel. When I re-booted, the BIOS
    > didn't see it. Over time, the occasional problem has changed. On a
    > cold boot (computer off for over 12 hours), occasionally the BIOS will
    > not recognize either the master or the slave on the secondary RAID
    > channel. A few re-boot cycles, and everything is fine. So what do
    > you think? Motherboard, cable, or hard drive?

    Well its either the RAID controller or both of the hard disks. Personally,
    i'd say that it was the WD's on the blink, the new ones arent as good as the
    old ones, 2 in 10 will fail within the first year.

    hamman

    Hamman, Apr 11, 2004
  4. Scribner

    Scribner Guest

    On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 21:14:19 +0100, "Hamman" <>
    wrote:

    >"Scribner" <> wrote in message
    >> XP Pro SP1. I'm running an Abit RAID m/b. I have 2 Western Dig. HD's
    >> on the RAID channels, two on the regular IDE, a burner and a CD-ROM.
    >> Recently, while the computer was running, I was unable to access the
    >> master HD on the secondary RAID channel. When I re-booted, the BIOS
    >> didn't see it. Over time, the occasional problem has changed. On a
    >> cold boot (computer off for over 12 hours), occasionally the BIOS will
    >> not recognize either the master or the slave on the secondary RAID
    >> channel. A few re-boot cycles, and everything is fine. So what do
    >> you think? Motherboard, cable, or hard drive?

    >Well its either the RAID controller or both of the hard disks. Personally,
    >i'd say that it was the WD's on the blink, the new ones arent as good as the
    >old ones, 2 in 10 will fail within the first year.
    >
    >hamman

    Thanks. That's what I thought.

    Scribner, Apr 11, 2004
  5. Scribner

    Dumpster Guest

    "Hamman" <> wrote in message

    | "Scribner" <> wrote in message
    | > XP Pro SP1. I'm running an Abit RAID m/b. I have 2 Western Dig.
    HD's
    | > on the RAID channels, two on the regular IDE, a burner and a CD-ROM.
    | > Recently, while the computer was running, I was unable to access the
    | > master HD on the secondary RAID channel. When I re-booted, the BIOS
    | > didn't see it. Over time, the occasional problem has changed. On a
    | > cold boot (computer off for over 12 hours), occasionally the BIOS
    will
    | > not recognize either the master or the slave on the secondary RAID
    | > channel. A few re-boot cycles, and everything is fine. So what do
    | > you think? Motherboard, cable, or hard drive?
    |
    | Well its either the RAID controller or both of the hard disks.
    Personally,
    | i'd say that it was the WD's on the blink, the new ones arent as good
    as the
    | old ones, 2 in 10 will fail within the first year.
    |
    | hamman

    Wish I had seen your post before I bought 2-WD 80Gig drives last week
    ;-}
    --
    Dumpster

    Dumpster, Apr 11, 2004
  6. Scribner

    Ron Martell Guest

    Scribner <> wrote:

    >XP Pro SP1. I'm running an Abit RAID m/b. I have 2 Western Dig. HD's
    >on the RAID channels, two on the regular IDE, a burner and a CD-ROM.
    >Recently, while the computer was running, I was unable to access the
    >master HD on the secondary RAID channel. When I re-booted, the BIOS
    >didn't see it. Over time, the occasional problem has changed. On a
    >cold boot (computer off for over 12 hours), occasionally the BIOS will
    >not recognize either the master or the slave on the secondary RAID
    >channel. A few re-boot cycles, and everything is fine. So what do
    >you think? Motherboard, cable, or hard drive?

    Could be either.

    Get the Western Digital diagnostic software from their web site and
    run it to test the drives.

    Best way to resolve the issue is to remove the suspect drive(s) and
    run them in another machine that you know is okay. If the problems
    also happen on the other machine then you know it is the drives,
    otherwise it is the motherboard/controller/cable.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP