    a slower speed than hard drives?

    thanks!
    , Nov 9, 2006

  2. Re: Hard drive & DVD burners - does it matter if they are on thesame IDE channel

    wrote:
    > We used to put CD/DVD drives on a different IDE channel from the hard
    > drives because of the speed difference (ATA speed).
    >
    > is this still the case with 16x DVD burners... do burners still run at
    > a slower speed than hard drives?

    CD & DVD drives should still be put on a different IDE channel. The
    burner should be the primary and the player the slave.

    John
    John M. Tubbs, Sr., Nov 10, 2006

  3. wrote:

    > We used to put CD/DVD drives on a different IDE channel from the hard
    > drives because of the speed difference (ATA speed).
    >
    > is this still the case with 16x DVD burners... do burners still run at
    > a slower speed than hard drives?

    Some dvd drives or burners still don't support UDMA, or only a lower mode
    than the harddrives. In most cases, however, the difference is negligable,
    but putting a burner on a different cable than the harddrive helps prohibit
    congestion-related hiccups. Master-slave is irrelevant for speed.
    Walter Mautner, Nov 10, 2006
  4. Meat Plow Guest

    On Thu, 09 Nov 2006 23:59:52 +0000, dignan2NOSPAM Has Frothed:

    > We used to put CD/DVD drives on a different IDE channel from the hard
    > drives because of the speed difference (ATA speed).
    >
    > is this still the case with 16x DVD burners... do burners still run at a
    > slower speed than hard drives?

    Yes.

    COOSN-266-06-25794
    Meat Plow, Nov 10, 2006