    disappears. Rescanning for drives doesn't find it; and I have to completely
    reboot the machine in order for it to find the drive again.

    Any idea what is causing this?

    Luchog Llewynyth, Apr 22, 2008

  2. Luchog Llewynyth

    philo Guest

    "Luchog Llewynyth" <Luchog > wrote in
    message news:...
    > I recently built a new computer, and have installed Windows XP Pro x64 as

    my
    > only OS. All of my new drives are SATA, and everything in the install

    went
    > fine, with no errors. All of the hard drives are recognized, and I didn't
    > have to manually install any drivers (XP picked up my SATA drives just

    fine
    > on its own).
    >
    > Once I had it up and running smoothly, I broke down my old computer, which
    > was running XP Pro x86 (32bit). I pulled out both of the old IDE drives

    and
    > connected them in the new box, one at a time, in order to copy over my

    files.
    > With the first drive, a 40Gb Maxtor, everything went fine. With the

    other,
    > a 120Gb Seagate, I am having problems. When I first boot up the box, it
    > recognizes the drive, and I'm able to start copying files. If I leave it
    > idle for a while, and go do something else with the computer, like read my
    > email or play a game, it "forgets" the drive is there. I can no longer
    > access it, and it doesn't show up at all in Drive Management. All the

    SATA
    > stuff (two hard drives and the DVD-ROM) is fine, but the IDE drive just
    > disappears. Rescanning for drives doesn't find it; and I have to

    completely
    > reboot the machine in order for it to find the drive again.
    >
    > Any idea what is causing this?

    First thing I;d do is copy all the data over...
    then just plain stop using the drive

    You may want to run the mfg's diagnostic utility on it

    philo, Apr 22, 2008

  3. Luchog Llewynyth

    Carlos Guest

    Luchog,
    A couple of questions:
    - Are you plugging the 120 GB Seagate in the same IDE connector as the 40GB
    Maxtor? Maybe you have a faulty IDE connector.
    - Are you plugging the 120 GB Seagate as a slave in the same cable as the
    40GB Maxtor? Are the jumpers Ok?

    Carlos

    Carlos, Apr 22, 2008
  4. Replace the IDE cable. You may be using one of the older 40-wire/40-pin
    cables. You need an 80-wire/40 pin cable. The operating speeds of the
    newer computers cause way to much crosstalk on the older cables and the 40
    ground wires deal with that.

    Colin Barnhorst, Apr 22, 2008
  5. My motherboard only has a single IDE connector; and I'm only plugging in one
    drive at a time, so there can't be any master/slave conflicts. The Maxtor
    worked fine when I had it plugged in; but thinking back, I may not have had
    it connected long enough for it to encounter this problem. I cleaned it off
    much more quickly.

    The Seagate works fine while it's still recognized, and transfer speeds are
    very fast and error-free. If it was a faulty IDE connector or cable, I'd
    expect to see problems with data transfer. The bios always recognizes it,
    and it always works fine right after reboot, so I would think it would have
    to be a Windows issue.

    All previous diagnostics were normal, and I never had a problem with it in
    the old box.

    I wonder if it's something to do with the filesystem. They're both NTFS,
    but the old drive was from a 32bit system, and the new system is 64bit. That
    shouldn't be an issue, though; since XP is supposed to handle multiple
    filesystems, and I never had a problem with the 32bit XP Pro recognizing and
    handling any of my legacy Win2k NTFS, Win98SE FAT32, or FAT16 drives. Maybe
    x64 has a bug?

    Luchog Llewynyth, Apr 22, 2008
  6. Nope, it's a new 80-wire cable.

    Luchog Llewynyth, Apr 23, 2008