    NTFS disk? It has some corrupted sectors. Windows won't recognize it, but
    some dos utilities I have can read the drive, they just can't copy the
    files.

    Terry Olsen, Jun 16, 2007

  2. Terry Olsen

    Guest

    "Terry Olsen" <> wrote:

    >Does anyone know of a boot disk out there that will let me copy files off an
    >NTFS disk? It has some corrupted sectors. Windows won't recognize it, but
    >some dos utilities I have can read the drive, they just can't copy the
    >files.

    Run NTFS4DOS from a Win98 Boot disk
    http://www.freewarefiles.com/program_9_90_11100.html
    --

    http://www.onahorse.com/

    , Jun 16, 2007

  3. Terry Olsen

    Plato Guest

    Terry Olsen wrote:

    > Does anyone know of a boot disk out there that will let me copy files off an
    > NTFS disk? It has some corrupted sectors. Windows won't recognize it, but
    > some dos utilities I have can read the drive, they just can't copy the
    > files.

    http://www.bootdisk.com/ntfs.htm
    FREE

    Plato, Jun 16, 2007
  4. Terry Olsen

    why? Guest

    On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 22:49:30 -0600, Terry Olsen wrote:

    >Does anyone know of a boot disk out there that will let me copy files off an
    >NTFS disk? It has some corrupted sectors. Windows won't recognize it, but
    >some dos utilities I have can read the drive, they just can't copy the

    Strange but true :)

    >files.

    This might not have been mentioned before, as in anywhere like

    24HSHD

    www.google.com

    Not even this week,

    From: "FutureAdvents" <>
    Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    Subject: I need abit of technical help`
    Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 18:06:52 GMT

    1 of the replies,

    From: why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz>
    Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    Subject: Re: I need abit of technical help`

    Note the command about loss of data, also repeated at
    http://www.shockfamily.net/cedric/knoppix/
    never looked before but it seems to cover a lot and look like a good
    place to start.

    Me

    why?, Jun 16, 2007
  5. Terry Olsen

    Fred Guest

    Terry Olsen wrote:
    > Does anyone know of a boot disk out there that will let me copy files
    > off an NTFS disk? It has some corrupted sectors. Windows won't
    > recognize it, but some dos utilities I have can read the drive, they
    > just can't copy the files.

    Bart's PE and plugins
    http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

    Fred, Jun 16, 2007
  6. Terry Olsen

    Guest

    On Jun 16, 11:15 am, "Fred" <> wrote:
    > Terry Olsen wrote:
    > > Does anyone know of a boot disk out there that will let me copy files
    > > off an NTFS disk? It has some corrupted sectors. Windows won't
    > > recognize it, but some dos utilities I have can read the drive, they
    > > just can't copy the files.

    > Bart's PE and pluginshttp://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

    None of the above would work as you will have to use something that
    trys, retrys then ignores the bad sectors whilst it builds an image of
    the data structure. You can then mount or trawl that image for your
    data.

    Regards,

    Sean Moore
    www.easyrestore.co.uk
    Professional Data Recovery.

    , Jun 16, 2007
  7. Terry Olsen

    why? Guest

    On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 04:36:08 -0700, wrote:

    >On Jun 16, 11:15 am, "Fred" <> wrote:
    >> Terry Olsen wrote:
    >> > Does anyone know of a boot disk out there that will let me copy files
    >> > off an NTFS disk? It has some corrupted sectors. Windows won't
    >> > recognize it, but some dos utilities I have can read the drive, they
    >> > just can't copy the files.

    >> Bart's PE and pluginshttp://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

    >None of the above would work as you will have to use something that
    >trys, retrys then ignores the bad sectors whilst it builds an image of
    >the data structure. You can then mount or trawl that image for your
    >data.

    Except for the magic unnamed dos utilities that can read the drive the
    OP mentioned.

    Me

    why?, Jun 16, 2007
  8. Terry Olsen

    why? Guest

    On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 22:49:30 -0600, Terry Olsen wrote:

    >Does anyone know of a boot disk out there that will let me copy files off an
    >NTFS disk? It has some corrupted sectors. Windows won't recognize it, but
    >some dos utilities I have can read the drive, they just can't copy the
    >files.

    A bootable Acronis CD lets me image disks, this is very handy. Depending
    on if it's a faulty disk or a Win file system failure you may just have
    to accept some data loss.

    Me

    why?, Jun 16, 2007
  9. "Terry Olsen" <> wrote in

    > Does anyone know of a boot disk out there that will let me copy
    > files off an NTFS disk? It has some corrupted sectors. Windows
    > won't recognize it, but some dos utilities I have can read the
    > drive, they just can't copy the files.

    I've had really good luck in the past with the free Live Linux boot
    disks (in particular, Knoppix) that will read NTFS disks when other
    Windows-derived disks such as Bart PE cannot.

    <http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html>

    HTH,
    John

    John Wunderlich, Jun 16, 2007