    tip that someone know that I could do without having to spend that kind
    of money? I have several things that are importance to me and a small
    business that I would like to gather and place on my new hard drive.
    ljsteel, Sep 9, 2006

  2. ljsteel

    Au79 Guest

    ljsteel wrote:

    > I have a dell that is about 3 years old and the hard drive recently
    > crashed. I called up a support team that dell uses and they stated that
    > they would charge me $2500 to retrieve the data. Is there a trick or
    > tip that someone know that I could do without having to spend that kind
    > of money? I have several things that are importance to me and a small
    > business that I would like to gather and place on my new hard drive.

    There are a number of forensic data recovery shops, but they will all be
    rather pricey. Google for several and shop around.

    http://free.thelinuxstore.ca/
    Au79, Sep 9, 2006

  3. ljsteel enlightened us 24hoursupport.helpdesk-(ab)users with:

    > I have a dell that is about 3 years old and the hard drive recently
    > crashed. I called up a support team that dell uses and they stated
    > that they would charge me $2500 to retrieve the data. Is there a trick
    > or tip that someone know that I could do without having to spend that
    > kind of money? I have several things that are importance to me and a
    > small business that I would like to gather and place on my new hard
    > drive.

    You can recover some data if you
    - know about knopöix liveCD, dd_rescue
    - can assemble a 2nd harddrive
    - the crashed harddrive still is recognized by the bios and readable by
    sectors

    But then, that all will take lots of your time and some money (to gain
    knowledge, make a "forensic" image, mount that or copy to a 2nd drive,
    and try some data recovery software, eventually buy one that promises
    to fulfill your needs, and sort the data you'll hopefully get in the
    end) and you must decide if it is worth that, included the risk you
    completely hose it and discover the drive doesn't spin up for another
    try.
    Walter Mautner, Sep 9, 2006
  4. ljsteel

    old man Guest

    Just an observation;
    The primary tip is to backup data, before you loose it, which at some point
    you will, as you have found out - to your cost

    old man, Sep 9, 2006
  5. ljsteel

    olfart Guest

    "ljsteel" <> wrote in message
    >I have a dell that is about 3 years old and the hard drive recently
    > crashed. I called up a support team that dell uses and they stated that
    > they would charge me $2500 to retrieve the data. Is there a trick or
    > tip that someone know that I could do without having to spend that kind
    > of money? I have several things that are importance to me and a small
    > business that I would like to gather and place on my new hard drive.

    You might try the freezer trick.....place the drive in a ziplock bag and put
    in freezer. Then remove , connect to computer and see if it works. I've
    never tried this-so check the google archives of this newsgroup for more
    info. You can't make things worse than they already are and you might
    retrieve some data in the process
    olfart, Sep 9, 2006
  6. ljsteel

    Ron Martell Guest

    "ljsteel" <> wrote:

    >I have a dell that is about 3 years old and the hard drive recently
    >crashed. I called up a support team that dell uses and they stated that
    >they would charge me $2500 to retrieve the data. Is there a trick or
    >tip that someone know that I could do without having to spend that kind
    >of money? I have several things that are importance to me and a small
    >business that I would like to gather and place on my new hard drive.

    How badly is it crashed?

    If the drive is dead, that is it is not even detected as a hard drive
    by the computer's BIOS, then you need a Data Recovery service.

    If the drive is recognized by the computer but will not boot because
    of errors, bad sectors, etc then it may be repairable to the point
    where some data recovery would be possible by using Spinrite from
    Gibson Research (www.grc.com). That program has worked wonders for
    me on many crashed hard drives, but it can be quite slow. One
    instance I remember was a 4 gb hard drive where it took Spinrite 78
    hours (3 days +) to finish scanning the drive and recovering data from
    damaged sectors. But in the end I was able to get over 98% of the
    customer's data off the drive, including all of his accounting files.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP (1997 - 2006)
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    has never been in bed with a mosquito."
    Ron Martell, Sep 10, 2006
  7. ljsteel

    02befree Guest

    The freezer trick does work at times, I suggested it to a friend a few weeks
    ago and he emailed me back last week and it worked perfect. The drive
    lasted 7 hours and he was able to image it and do a full recovery.
    I've used File Scavenger with great results, and anything developed by
    Gibson Research, as mentioned below, I have a lot of faith in. If the hard
    drive spins, there's always hope besides the thousand dollar solution.
    Best of luck, been there. Get yourself a 20 dollar USB hard drive enclosure
    and a big ol' IDE hard drive that is selling for cheap and get on a backup
    schedule. Make it easy and you'll do it. Burning CDs/DVD's just is too
    time consuming and lots of people skip doing it.

    02befree, Sep 10, 2006
  8. ljsteel

    ProfGene Guest

    ljsteel wrote:
    > I have a dell that is about 3 years old and the hard drive recently
    > crashed. I called up a support team that dell uses and they stated that
    > they would charge me $2500 to retrieve the data. Is there a trick or
    > tip that someone know that I could do without having to spend that kind
    > of money? I have several things that are importance to me and a small
    > business that I would like to gather and place on my new hard drive.

    There are companies that can be found with a web search that specialize
    in this. You should find one that is much cheaper than what Dell quoted.
    ProfGene, Sep 28, 2006