Hard drive costs up hugely on Thailand flooding

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by RichA, Nov 1, 2011.

  1. RichA

    RichA Guest

    RichA, Nov 1, 2011

  2. RichA

    Whisky-dave Guest

    Whisky-dave, Nov 1, 2011

  3. RichA

    SMS Guest

    On 11/1/2011 6:21 AM, Whisky-dave wrote:
    > On Nov 1, 12:53 pm, RichA<> wrote:
    >> Some retailers have jacked up prices 100%. Good thing hard drives
    >> were cheap right now.
    >>
    >> http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/239818/20111028/thai-floods-boost-pc-...

    > Strange as this is what it says on the site
    >
    > "Drive manufacturers have raised prices by 20 to 40 percent,"

    I was at Microcenter yesterday and they have a two drive limit.
    SMS, Nov 1, 2011
  4. RichA

    RichA Guest

    RichA, Nov 1, 2011
  5. RichA

    Irwell Guest

    On Tue, 1 Nov 2011 15:55:01 -0700 (PDT), RichA wrote:

    > On Nov 1, 7:53 am, RichA <> wrote:
    >> Some retailers have jacked up prices 100%.  Good thing hard drives
    >> were cheap right now.
    >>
    >> http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/239818/20111028/thai-floods-boost-pc-...

    > Oops! Forgot one completely unrelated thing: Peanut butter is
    > expected to double in price! :)

    And salmon is attacked by an escaping virus from the fish
    farms, so there goes another species.
    Irwell, Nov 1, 2011
  6. RichA

    Guest

    On Wed, 02 Nov 2011 00:24:06 -0500, Allen <> wrote:

    > > I was at Microcenter yesterday and they have a two drive limit.

    > Same at Costco.

    So go in multiple times if you want more than two. It ain't rocket surgery! ;-)
    , Nov 2, 2011
  7. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On Nov 1, 7:50 pm, Irwell <> wrote:
    > On Tue, 1 Nov 2011 15:55:01 -0700 (PDT), RichA wrote:
    > > On Nov 1, 7:53 am, RichA <> wrote:
    > >> Some retailers have jacked up prices 100%.  Good thing hard drives
    > >> were cheap right now.

    > >>http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/239818/20111028/thai-floods-boost-pc-....

    > > Oops! Forgot one completely unrelated thing:  Peanut butter is
    > > expected to double in price!  :)

    > And salmon is attacked by an escaping virus from the fish
    > farms, so there goes another species.

    Side issue, it's too bad. Fish farm fish is crap. They feed them on
    liver and such while normal fishes eat insects, worms, all sorts of
    things and the result is that natural fish taste better.
    RichA, Nov 2, 2011
  8. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    RichA <> wrote:
    >On Nov 1, 7:50 pm, Irwell <> wrote:

    >> > Oops! Forgot one completely unrelated thing:  Peanut butter is
    >> > expected to double in price!  :)

    >> And salmon is attacked by an escaping virus from the fish
    >> farms, so there goes another species.

    >Side issue, it's too bad. Fish farm fish is crap. They feed them on
    >liver and such while normal fishes eat insects, worms, all sorts of
    >things and the result is that natural fish taste better.

    I think Irwell's point was that what you call the 'natural fish' are
    now being attacked by viruses (etc.) that were previously confined to
    farmed fish.
    Bruce, Nov 2, 2011
  9. RichA

    John A. Guest

    wrote:

    >On Nov 1, 7:53 am, RichA <> wrote:
    >> Some retailers have jacked up prices 100%.  Good thing hard drives
    >> were cheap right now.
    >>
    >> http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/239818/20111028/thai-floods-boost-pc-...

    >Oops! Forgot one completely unrelated thing: Peanut butter is
    >expected to double in price! :)

    I'm fine with that. I love it myself, but my kid's allergic (epi-pen
    allergic) so the less of it around the easier that issue is to deal
    with.

    It's kinda crazy how prevalent you find out certain foods are once you
    can't have them. I really feel for anyone who's allergic to corn.
    John A., Nov 2, 2011
  10. RichA

    John A. Guest

    On Tue, 1 Nov 2011 16:50:05 -0700, Irwell <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 1 Nov 2011 15:55:01 -0700 (PDT), RichA wrote:
    >
    >> On Nov 1, 7:53 am, RichA <> wrote:
    >>> Some retailers have jacked up prices 100%.  Good thing hard drives
    >>> were cheap right now.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/239818/20111028/thai-floods-boost-pc-...

    >> Oops! Forgot one completely unrelated thing: Peanut butter is
    >> expected to double in price! :)

    >And salmon is attacked by an escaping virus from the fish
    >farms, so there goes another species.

    And various vegetable crops contaminated by runoff or whatever from
    who-knows-where.

    We're considering buying into a CSA. http://www.localharvest.org/csa/
    (no affiliation)
    John A., Nov 2, 2011
  11. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    On 11/2/2011 2:06 PM, RichA wrote:
    > On Nov 1, 7:50 pm, Irwell<> wrote:

    >>> Oops! Forgot one completely unrelated thing: Peanut butter is
    >>> expected to double in price! :)

    >> And salmon is attacked by an escaping virus from the fish
    >> farms, so there goes another species.

    > Side issue, it's too bad. Fish farm fish is crap. They feed them on
    > liver and such while normal fishes eat insects, worms, all sorts of
    > things and the result is that natural fish taste better.

    Uhm! Farmed fish are fed a meal made of fish protein and fish oil. I
    don't know where you get the liver idea from, but that concept just
    isn't true. (At least at the fish farm i was involved with.)

    Disease is caused by overcrowding.
    I do agree that farmed fish does not taste as good as wild caught fish,
    but not for the reasons you state. If you want wild caught fish, pay
    more and don't whine.

    BTW aquaculture can help provide a sustainable way of feeding a growing
    world population.

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Nov 2, 2011
  12. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On Nov 2, 6:39 pm, PeterN <> wrote:
    > On 11/2/2011 2:06 PM, RichA wrote:

    > >> And salmon is attacked by an escaping virus from the fish
    > >> farms, so there goes another species.

    > > Side issue, it's too bad.  Fish farm fish is crap.  They feed them on
    > > liver and such while normal fishes eat insects, worms, all sorts of
    > > things and the result is that natural fish taste better.

    > Uhm! Farmed fish are fed a meal made of fish protein and fish oil. I
    > don't know where you get the liver idea from, but that concept just
    > isn't true. (At least at the fish farm i was involved with.)
    >
    > Disease is caused by overcrowding.
    > I do agree that farmed fish does not taste as good as wild caught fish,
    > but not for the reasons you state. If you want wild caught fish, pay
    > more and don't whine.

    I catch my own, I don't need to pay. I just lament that everything
    meat that is battery-bred is so mediocre.
    RichA, Nov 3, 2011
  13. RichA

    Mike Guest

    On 01/11/2011 6:55 PM, RichA wrote:
    > On Nov 1, 7:53 am, RichA<> wrote:
    >> Some retailers have jacked up prices 100%. Good thing hard drives
    >> were cheap right now.
    >>
    >> http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/239818/20111028/thai-floods-boost-pc-...

    > Oops! Forgot one completely unrelated thing: Peanut butter is
    > expected to double in price! :)

    Why did the Hunt Brothers try to corner the Peanut Market, like they
    tried with coffee?

    Oh, wait there was a peanut crop failure in the USA...

    Mike
    Mike, Nov 3, 2011
  14. RichA

    John A. Guest

    On Thu, 03 Nov 2011 13:26:11 -0400, Mike <> wrote:

    >On 01/11/2011 6:55 PM, RichA wrote:
    >> On Nov 1, 7:53 am, RichA<> wrote:
    >>> Some retailers have jacked up prices 100%. Good thing hard drives
    >>> were cheap right now.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/239818/20111028/thai-floods-boost-pc-...

    >> Oops! Forgot one completely unrelated thing: Peanut butter is
    >> expected to double in price! :)
    > >

    >Why did the Hunt Brothers try to corner the Peanut Market, like they
    >tried with coffee?
    >
    >Oh, wait there was a peanut crop failure in the USA...

    I've said it before, and I'll say it again, we gotta get rid of the
    speculators and limit the commodities markets to the people who
    actually want to buy them. I have no doubt it would drive the cost of
    living way down.
    John A., Nov 3, 2011
  15. RichA

    Mike Guest

    On 03/11/2011 3:32 PM, John A. wrote:
    > On Thu, 03 Nov 2011 13:26:11 -0400, Mike<> wrote:

    >>> Oops! Forgot one completely unrelated thing: Peanut butter is
    >>> expected to double in price! :)
    >>>

    >> Why did the Hunt Brothers try to corner the Peanut Market, like they
    >> tried with coffee?
    >>
    >> Oh, wait there was a peanut crop failure in the USA...

    > I've said it before, and I'll say it again, we gotta get rid of the
    > speculators and limit the commodities markets to the people who
    > actually want to buy them. I have no doubt it would drive the cost of
    > living way down.

    The Hunt brothers tried to corner the silver market in 1979, and drove
    film prices way up.

    The Hunt Brothers tried to corner the Arabica coffee bean market, and
    coffee prices have doubled.
    Mike, Nov 3, 2011
  16. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    On 11/3/2011 3:36 PM, Mike wrote:
    > On 03/11/2011 3:32 PM, John A. wrote:

    >>> Why did the Hunt Brothers try to corner the Peanut Market, like they
    >>> tried with coffee?
    >>>
    >>> Oh, wait there was a peanut crop failure in the USA...

    >> I've said it before, and I'll say it again, we gotta get rid of the
    >> speculators and limit the commodities markets to the people who
    >> actually want to buy them. I have no doubt it would drive the cost of
    >> living way down.
    > >

    > The Hunt brothers tried to corner the silver market in 1979, and drove
    > film prices way up.

    The prices of silver dropped, but the price of film stayed up.

    When sugar prices soared the price of soda & sugarless drinks,
    increased. Now the sale price is the cost before the spike.

    > The Hunt Brothers tried to corner the Arabica coffee bean market, and
    > coffee prices have doubled.

    There are other factors causing coffee prices to rise such as weather
    and political conditions.

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Nov 3, 2011
  17. On 11/3/11 PDT 12:32 PM, John A. wrote:

    > I've said it before, and I'll say it again, we gotta get rid of the
    > speculators and limit the commodities markets to the people who
    > actually want to buy them. I have no doubt it would drive the cost of
    > living way down.

    Oh, yeah, like that will really work!
    John McWilliams, Nov 3, 2011
  18. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    On 11/3/2011 1:02 PM, RichA wrote:
    > On Nov 2, 6:39 pm, PeterN<> wrote:

    >>> Side issue, it's too bad. Fish farm fish is crap. They feed them on
    >>> liver and such while normal fishes eat insects, worms, all sorts of
    >>> things and the result is that natural fish taste better.

    >> Uhm! Farmed fish are fed a meal made of fish protein and fish oil. I
    >> don't know where you get the liver idea from, but that concept just
    >> isn't true. (At least at the fish farm i was involved with.)
    >>
    >> Disease is caused by overcrowding.
    >> I do agree that farmed fish does not taste as good as wild caught fish,
    >> but not for the reasons you state. If you want wild caught fish, pay
    >> more and don't whine.
    >>

    > I catch my own, I don't need to pay. I just lament that everything
    > meat that is battery-bred is so mediocre.

    Some of us work, and have to pay for their food. Most of us don't have
    time for fishing.

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Nov 4, 2011
  19. RichA

    Irwell Guest

    On Wed, 02 Nov 2011 18:39:45 -0400, PeterN wrote:

    > On 11/2/2011 2:06 PM, RichA wrote:

    >>> And salmon is attacked by an escaping virus from the fish
    >>> farms, so there goes another species.

    >> Side issue, it's too bad. Fish farm fish is crap. They feed them on
    >> liver and such while normal fishes eat insects, worms, all sorts of
    >> things and the result is that natural fish taste better.

    > Uhm! Farmed fish are fed a meal made of fish protein and fish oil. I
    > don't know where you get the liver idea from, but that concept just
    > isn't true. (At least at the fish farm i was involved with.)

    Isn't Mad Cow disease caused by prions derived from animal meal?
    > Disease is caused by overcrowding.
    > I do agree that farmed fish does not taste as good as wild caught fish,
    > but not for the reasons you state. If you want wild caught fish, pay
    > more and don't whine.

    Actually at this time of the year on the west coast farm salmon
    tastes a lot better than the nearl rotten mushy wild kelt type
    salmon.
    Irwell, Nov 4, 2011
  20. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    On 11/4/2011 11:28 AM, Irwell wrote:
    > On Wed, 02 Nov 2011 18:39:45 -0400, PeterN wrote:

    >>> Side issue, it's too bad. Fish farm fish is crap. They feed them on
    >>> liver and such while normal fishes eat insects, worms, all sorts of
    >>> things and the result is that natural fish taste better.

    >> Uhm! Farmed fish are fed a meal made of fish protein and fish oil. I
    >> don't know where you get the liver idea from, but that concept just
    >> isn't true. (At least at the fish farm i was involved with.)

    > Isn't Mad Cow disease caused by prions derived from animal meal?

    AFAIK it's caused from eating animal protein, not fish protein.
    I had a friend that died from that terrible disease. he was fully
    conscious, but in constant pain. The hospital refused to give him enough
    pain killer to kill the pain. They did not want him to become addicted.

    >> Disease is caused by overcrowding.
    >> I do agree that farmed fish does not taste as good as wild caught fish,
    >> but not for the reasons you state. If you want wild caught fish, pay
    >> more and don't whine.

    > Actually at this time of the year on the west coast farm salmon
    > tastes a lot better than the nearl rotten mushy wild kelt type
    > salmon.

    that's interesting. Usually farmed fish are very fatty, with a mushy
    taste, because the fish don't get enough exercise.
    Wile Atlantic Salmon doesn't have that mush taste, they make the trip
    several times during their lifetime.
    BTW Landlocked Atlantic Salmon has a delicate taste, similar to Trout.

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Nov 4, 2011