    drive but it can't find a bootable disk. Is there something else I need to
    do? XP Pro.

    Thanks,
    JJ, Jun 27, 2006

  2. JJ

    davidhas Guest

    ur mum is an xp - pro ;)
    davidhas, Jun 28, 2006

  3. JJ

    bambam Guest

    On Tue, 27 Jun 2006 13:29:07 +0000, JJ wrote:

    > I bought a new larger hard drive and have partitioned it into 3 drives, E, F
    > & G. Using Drive Image XML software I made a disk to disk copy of my
    > current HD, to the E partition. Both drives are SATA. I swapped the two
    > cables on the motherboard so I thought the computer would boot off of the E
    > drive but it can't find a bootable disk. Is there something else I need to
    > do? XP Pro.

    I have had problems with the Drive to Drive copy part of Drive Image XML.
    The backup and restore of partitions seems to work ok though.
    Instead why not try HDClone-

    http://www.miray.de/products/sat.hdclone.html#free

    This program is also included on the "Ultimate Boot CD" which is a very
    handy tool to have around-

    http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/
    bambam, Jun 28, 2006
  4. JJ

    - Bobb - Guest

    "bambam" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 27 Jun 2006 13:29:07 +0000, JJ wrote:
    >
    >> I bought a new larger hard drive and have partitioned it into 3
    >> drives, E, F
    >> & G. Using Drive Image XML software I made a disk to disk copy of my
    >> current HD, to the E partition. Both drives are SATA. I swapped the
    >> two
    >> cables on the motherboard so I thought the computer would boot off of
    >> the E
    >> drive but it can't find a bootable disk. Is there something else I
    >> need to
    >> do? XP Pro.

    You did a disk a disk to disk copy of E ????
    You mean a partition copy ?
    Start again - WHAT is your HDD layout ?
    Your new disk drive has 3 partitions?
    And you HAD only ONE drive with one partition before ? Was it C ?
    IS there a mbr on the "new drive" ? What is in boot.ini.?
    Do you know what that means ?

    What message do you get ? " ntldr not found" etc

    We need some info to help.

    New store-bought drive ? Mfr ? Usually comes with a CD to migrate your
    drive. Or can download from the "new drive" site.
    Not pushing this on you, but if you have Norton AV, I just bought at
    CompUSA NAV+ Ghost 10 package for $49 with $40 in rebates ($20 upgrade
    rebate + $20 rebate). So Ghost cost me $10 - and I'll use it to do just
    what you're trying to do.
    - Bobb -, Jun 30, 2006
  5. JJ

    bambam Guest

    "- Bobb -" <> wrote in

    > We need some info to help.

    You need some help alright. I didn't write the post that you attributed to
    me. No good replying to my post, when you are actually trying to reply to
    the OP. This is the post that you need to reply to-

    --
    Always tell the truth. That way, you don't have to remember what you said.

    Mark Twain
    bambam, Jul 1, 2006
  6. JJ

    JJ Guest

    I'm the OP on this and here's where I'm at:

    I filled my old 40 gig hard drive and bought a new 80g. After research
    over conflicts between Norton Ghost & Goback, I finally got Ghost to work
    and got the result: "clone successfully created". I've been chasing my tail
    ever since. My goal was to use the newer, faster HD as C and the old
    40g as a backup. I'm using a Dell Dimension 4700, both drives are
    SATA and I'm using XP Pro.

    When I disconnect my current C and plug the new 80g, clone drive into the
    same
    connector on the mobo it tells me drive 1 can't be found and won't boot. If
    plug the old drive into the 2nd connector and keep the new drive in the
    original, it boots but the system gets unstable.

    If I return the original HD, to the original mobo connector, all is fine and
    have a 40 gig C drive and 80g drive E, but that's not what I want.

    My bios settings when I try the new configuration are as follows:
    Drive 0 SATA 0 (80g)
    Drive 1 SATA 2 (40g)

    It says both drives are controlled by system bios. It can't locate a boot
    drive in this configuration.

    New drive is a maxtor, didn't come with cd. I'll now go to maxtor and see
    if they have something.

    JJ, Jul 1, 2006
  7. JJ

    JJ Guest

    A follow-up to my last post. I downloaded the Maxtor software for disk
    cloning, but, even though I have Norton Go Back disabled, it still sees it
    and won't run. It is part of System Works 2006 and I can't locate a place
    to uninstall it, all part of the big package. All I can do is disable it,
    which I did in order to get Ghost to operate.

    JJ, Jul 1, 2006
  8. JJ

    - Bobb - Guest

    "JJ" <> wrote in message
    > I'm the OP on this and here's where I'm at:
    >
    > I filled my old 40 gig hard drive and bought a new 80g. After
    > research
    > over conflicts between Norton Ghost & Goback, I finally got Ghost to
    > work
    > and got the result: "clone successfully created". I've been chasing
    > my tail
    > ever since. My goal was to use the newer, faster HD as C and the old
    > 40g as a backup. I'm using a Dell Dimension 4700, both drives are
    > SATA and I'm using XP Pro.
    >
    > When I disconnect my current C and plug the new 80g, clone drive into
    > the same connector on the mobo it tells me drive 1 can't be found and
    > won't boot. If I plug the old drive into the 2nd connector and keep
    > the new drive in the original, it boots but the system gets unstable.

    STOP - what are the settings on the jumpers on both drives ?
    Are they master/slave ? Are they cable select ? etc
    http://www.maxtor.com/_files/maxtor...stallation_guides/sata_installation_guide.pdf

    Do you know - when do boot , does" the original drive appear as c" ?
    In Windows Explorer, go to "C:\ " on the 40 gb drive
    then edit boot.ini - select all - copy and paste it here.

    On the 80gb drive, in "\" do you see ntldr and ntdetect.com
    (tools-folderoptions - View - check next to 'display hidden files' ,
    display system files)
    Or
    http://www.winxpfix.com/page31-Winxpfix-tips.htm
    and scroll down to "an easier way to edit boot.ini". Read a how-to
    there.

    > If I return the original HD, to the original mobo connector, all is
    > fine and I
    > have a 40 gig C drive and 80g drive E, but that's not what I want.
    >
    > My bios settings when I try the new configuration are as follows:
    > Drive 0 SATA 0 (80g)
    > Drive 1 SATA 2 (40g)
    >
    > It says both drives are controlled by system bios. It can't locate a
    > boot drive in this configuration.

    If it's software, see if you "get the gist" of what might be
    happening by reading here.
    http://www.goodells.net/multiboot/partsigs.htm
    It IS deep but skip the details - does it seem like that might be
    your problem ? also
    http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=1140647361

    Let us know

    - Bobb -, Jul 1, 2006
  9. JJ

    Sjouke Burry Guest

    JJ wrote:
    > I'm the OP on this and here's where I'm at:
    >
    > I filled my old 40 gig hard drive and bought a new 80g. After research
    > over conflicts between Norton Ghost & Goback, I finally got Ghost to work
    > and got the result: "clone successfully created". I've been chasing my tail
    > ever since. My goal was to use the newer, faster HD as C and the old
    > 40g as a backup. I'm using a Dell Dimension 4700, both drives are
    > SATA and I'm using XP Pro.
    >
    > When I disconnect my current C and plug the new 80g, clone drive into the
    > same
    > connector on the mobo it tells me drive 1 can't be found and won't boot. If

    I did a clone to a bigger disk with Ghost,
    and I made the error of looking at it with xp.
    It then gets the drive letter d,e,or f etc.,
    and that gets attached permanently.
    You can try and change it ,but not to C:.
    So I did the clone again, and without testing,
    replaced the C disk with the clone.
    That did it. No further problems.
    Sjouke Burry, Jul 2, 2006
  10. JJ

    JJ Guest

    "Sjouke Burry" <> wrote in message
    > JJ wrote:
    >> I'm the OP on this and here's where I'm at:
    >>
    >> I filled my old 40 gig hard drive and bought a new 80g. After research
    >> over conflicts between Norton Ghost & Goback, I finally got Ghost to work
    >> and got the result: "clone successfully created". I've been chasing my
    >> tail
    >> ever since. My goal was to use the newer, faster HD as C and the old
    >> 40g as a backup. I'm using a Dell Dimension 4700, both drives are
    >> SATA and I'm using XP Pro.
    >>
    >> When I disconnect my current C and plug the new 80g, clone drive into the
    >> same
    >> connector on the mobo it tells me drive 1 can't be found and won't boot.
    >> If I

    > I did a clone to a bigger disk with Ghost,
    > and I made the error of looking at it with xp.
    > It then gets the drive letter d,e,or f etc.,
    > and that gets attached permanently.
    > You can try and change it ,but not to C:.
    > So I did the clone again, and without testing,
    > replaced the C disk with the clone.
    > That did it. No further problems.

    Your saying make the clone again using ghost, then just swap the cables on
    the mobo without looking at it and the new will work when I boot. What if I
    add the old one after booting, will it then come up as another lettered
    drive, such as E?
    JJ, Jul 2, 2006
  11. JJ

    JJ Guest

    Snip

    > STOP - what are the settings on the jumpers on both drives ?
    > Are they master/slave ? Are they cable select ? etc
    > http://www.maxtor.com/_files/maxtor...stallation_guides/sata_installation_guide.pdf

    Quoting from Maxtor "Unlike standard ATA drives, Serial drives do not
    require the use of jumpers to configure the drive"

    The rest will have to wait until I get home from work.

    JJ, Jul 2, 2006
  12. JJ

    JJ Guest

    "- Bobb -" <> wrote in message
    >SNIP
    >
    > If it's software, see if you "get the gist" of what might be
    > happening by reading here.
    > http://www.goodells.net/multiboot/partsigs.htm
    > It IS deep but skip the details - does it seem like that might be
    > your problem ?

    Reading this it would appear this is my problem
    These examples illustrate two general rules for successful cloning of
    NT-family OS's:

    a.. do not let old-XP see the new partition before cloning.
    Doing so would give XP a chance to assign a drive letter, it will be
    remembered by the registry when it is cloned, and the clone will adopt the
    wrong drive letter for itself.

    b.. do not let new-XP see the old-XP partition the first time it boots.
    If new-XP sees old-XP, it won't reuse the original drive letter when it
    assigns a drive letter to itself. (Once XP-2 has booted and reallocated new
    drive letters, the old-XP partition can be reintroduced into the system, if
    desired.)

    Now how do I correct it? If I understand this correctly, that drive letter
    has already been seen by XP. If I redo ghost, itstall it as C without
    looking, it would appear it should work.
    a..
    b..
    c..
    d..
    e..

    f.. >

    JJ, Jul 2, 2006
  13. JJ

    - Bobb - Guest

    "JJ" <> wrote in message

    > "Sjouke Burry" <> wrote in message
    >> JJ wrote:
    >>> I'm the OP on this and here's where I'm at:
    >>>
    >>> I filled my old 40 gig hard drive and bought a new 80g. After
    >>> research
    >>> over conflicts between Norton Ghost & Goback, I finally got Ghost to
    >>> work
    >>> and got the result: "clone successfully created". I've been chasing
    >>> my tail
    >>> ever since. My goal was to use the newer, faster HD as C and the
    >>> old
    >>> 40g as a backup. I'm using a Dell Dimension 4700, both drives are
    >>> SATA and I'm using XP Pro.
    >>>
    >>> When I disconnect my current C and plug the new 80g, clone drive
    >>> into the same
    >>> connector on the mobo it tells me drive 1 can't be found and won't
    >>> boot. If I

    >> I did a clone to a bigger disk with Ghost,
    >> and I made the error of looking at it with xp.
    >> It then gets the drive letter d,e,or f etc.,
    >> and that gets attached permanently.
    >> You can try and change it ,but not to C:.
    >> So I did the clone again, and without testing,
    >> replaced the C disk with the clone.
    >> That did it. No further problems.

    > Your saying make the clone again using ghost, then just swap the
    > cables on the mobo without looking at it and the new will work when I
    > boot. What if I add the old one after booting, will it then come up
    > as another lettered drive, such as E?

    JJ,
    One step at a time.
    Ghost the drive. Put the old one on the floor for now.
    Put the new one in place of the old one. Boot the new one. Does THAT
    work ?

    I read above that you want the original as a backup. Define "as a
    backup". Do you mean like - not hooked up normally and if new drive
    smokes, you'll then hookup old drive ? Or do you mean " an additional
    dirve that I'll leave in there" that will also boot ?

    Bobb
    - Bobb -, Jul 2, 2006
  14. JJ

    JJ Guest

    Re: Hard drive copying & swaping Finished!!!

    Bobb & SB,

    Eureka! It worked! Redid ghost, disconnected the original C drive, and
    then restarted PC. It booted to my desktop, but no icons showed. I waited
    3 minutes, opened a beer and began cussing, all of a sudden, icons showed
    and everything is now working normal. Connected the old C drive and it is
    now E.

    Thanks to both of you for your help and patience with my stupidity!!

    I lost one hard drive years ago and never wanted to go through that process
    again. I bought an external 200g drive and have faithfully backed my files
    up to that. When I bought the new drive, because I filled the old one, I
    thought I would just restore the backup to the new drive, but the backup
    failed, luckily my old drive was still working.

    I now have my brand new C drive and it is 80g in size.

    My old C, is now E and it is 40g in size.

    My external (USB) is 200g and it is partitioned into 3 drives. I was
    backing up my wife's computer on one, mine on the second and all my music on
    the third. Apparently the pgm that came with the external isn't very
    reliable because the restore didn't work.

    In addition, I have a 250 zip that runs all the time and in real time, backs
    up any changes to documents etc..

    I finally get to the question:

    How would you configure this setup to be properly protected from a
    hard-drive failure or some other event? I have Norton Ghost (and now know
    how to use it) Norton system works and am running win xp pro. My 40g HD
    only has 1g of space remaining, so backing up the new C to the old isn't an
    option. How would you CYA?

    JJ, Jul 2, 2006
  15. JJ

    - Bobb - Guest

    Re: Hard drive copying & swapping Finished!!!

    comments inline:

    "JJ" <> wrote in message
    > Bobb & SB,
    >
    > Eureka! It worked! Redid ghost, disconnected the original C drive,
    > and then restarted PC. It booted to my desktop, but no icons showed.
    > I waited 3 minutes, opened a beer and began cussing, all of a sudden,
    > icons showed and everything is now working normal. Connected the old
    > C drive and it is now E.

    Trade secret - opening the beer fixed it.

    > Thanks to both of you for your help and patience with my stupidity!!

    Glad it worked for you. I've been trying for 3 days to get Vista
    installed. At least something's working right.

    > I bought an external 200g drive and have faithfully backed my files
    > up to that. When I bought the new drive, because I filled the old
    > one, I thought I would just restore the backup to the new drive, but
    > the backup failed, luckily my old drive was still working.
    >
    > I now have my brand new C drive and it is 80g in size.
    >
    > My old C, is now E and it is 40g in size.
    >
    > My external (USB) is 200g and it is partitioned into 3 drives. I was
    > backing up my wife's computer on one, mine on the second and all my
    > music on the third. Apparently the pgm that came with the external
    > isn't very reliable because the restore didn't work.
    >
    > In addition, I have a 250 zip that runs all the time and in real time,
    > backs up any changes to documents etc..
    >
    > I finally get to the question:
    > How would you configure this setup to be properly protected from a
    > hard-drive failure or some other event? I have Norton Ghost (and now
    > know how to use it) Norton system works and am running win xp pro. My
    > 40g HD only has 1g of space remaining, so backing up the new C to the
    > old isn't an option. How would you CYA?

    JJ,

    More questions now:
    What is important here - money ? getting back up quickly ? - or just "
    not losing your stuff "?
    ( I'm not sure if you have a business to run or just have a pc full of
    "stuff" )
    Are you going to leave D as a bootable drive ?
    Do you have IDE connections to use more drives in the PC's ?

    If it's uptime:
    Get all your " stuff " off C and back it up to your external.
    If C dies, D will still boot and you can copy your files from external.
    I would leave D as a bootable drive - not wipe it (to save more music
    files etc)

    Then if money's not an issue : buy a few IDE drives - unlike SATA's ,
    IDEs are really cheap these days. I've seen 300gb drives at CompUSA this
    week onsale for $60 after rebate. Personally I have a few ( 4,5,6 ?)
    100+gb drives that I bought during past Thanskgiving / Christmas sales
    for $50 after rebate.
    One boots X64 and XP, one 2000 and XP , one is 98/Win2000 etc. One's got
    a copy of my "stuff". One's an image of my PC drive from a few months
    ago. etc.
    I just pop them in - use dos Ghost floppy to make a copy and pop it
    out - I then have a hot spare: takes about an hour on a rainy weekend
    day.
    For my day-to -day backups ( Money, My Documents etc) , I save to C and
    also back up to local disk D
    So if my system disk fries, I can pop in the backup drive and since I
    have a copy of my "stuff " on D , the only thing I would lose are apps
    that I've installed since last copy ( usually nothing) and any MS
    updates. If it's REAL important to have it up, you could even periodally
    hook up D and boot it - get the updates, install the apps etc and then
    disconnect D (40gb) again. If necessary - just delete some music etc on
    D to get the updates.

    All " my stuff " I save to D - mail/music/videos etc and I copy THAT to
    a BACKUP folder on C.
    When I swap system disks, I still have " my stuff " right where it's
    expected - on D.
    So the question for you is - what's important : money ? ( extra drives)
    uptime ?( hot spare) redundancy ?
    Maybe just leave the 40 gb drive disconnected - as a bootable backup
    only - and get some IDE drives for everything else.
    Or backup your music (i.e " stuff") to a DVD - you can fit a lot pf
    mp3's to a 8gb DVD.

    Bobb

    - Bobb -, Jul 3, 2006