    disk. When your system hard disk fails or becomes corrupted, simply boot
    your computer directly from your backup hard disk and you're up and running
    again in just seconds! It really is that easy!

    Julian Stafford, Jan 4, 2006

  2. Julian Stafford

    philo Guest

    Julian Stafford wrote:
    > Both my optical drives (MSI) have failed within a few months of each other
    > and I replaced them with the latest LG stuff from e-buyer with no problems
    > at all. I've also recently installed a graphics card and broadband - that
    > represents the upper limit of my pc capabilities!
    >
    > I started thinking that if the hard drive failed too, it would be a real
    > pain getting everything back to square one, so wondered about buying another
    > hard drive and making an exact copy of the original so that if the original
    > failed I could just shove it in and away to go.
    >
    > Some googling and I found this - Casper XP, below is some of the sales
    > blurb. I wonder if anyone has experience of it and will it do what I want?
    > Please remember that I am very inexperienced with this sort of thing!
    >
    > Thanks very much.
    >
    > Casper XPT makes it a snap to keep a bootable backup of your Windows XP
    > system. Just use Casper XP to copy your system hard disk to another hard
    > disk. When your system hard disk fails or becomes corrupted, simply boot
    > your computer directly from your backup hard disk and you're up and running
    > again in just seconds! It really is that easy!

    They have a free trial you can download...
    you might as well give it a try...
    chances are it will work

    philo, Jan 4, 2006

  3. Julian Stafford

    Alan Guest

    Julian Stafford wrote:
    > Both my optical drives (MSI) have failed within a few months of each other
    > and I replaced them with the latest LG stuff from e-buyer with no problems
    > at all. I've also recently installed a graphics card and broadband - that
    > represents the upper limit of my pc capabilities!
    >
    > I started thinking that if the hard drive failed too, it would be a real
    > pain getting everything back to square one, so wondered about buying another
    > hard drive and making an exact copy of the original so that if the original
    > failed I could just shove it in and away to go.
    >
    > Some googling and I found this - Casper XP, below is some of the sales
    > blurb. I wonder if anyone has experience of it and will it do what I want?
    > Please remember that I am very inexperienced with this sort of thing!
    >
    > Thanks very much.
    >
    > Casper XPT makes it a snap to keep a bootable backup of your Windows XP
    > system. Just use Casper XP to copy your system hard disk to another hard
    > disk. When your system hard disk fails or becomes corrupted, simply boot
    > your computer directly from your backup hard disk and you're up and running
    > again in just seconds! It really is that easy!

    Most retail HDs will come with some type of free 'copy' or 'clone'
    software that will do the same thing.

    Alan, Jan 5, 2006
  4. Julian Stafford

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:,
    Alan spewed forth:
    > Julian Stafford wrote:
    >> Both my optical drives (MSI) have failed within a few months of each
    >> other and I replaced them with the latest LG stuff from e-buyer with
    >> no problems at all. I've also recently installed a graphics card and
    >> broadband - that represents the upper limit of my pc capabilities!
    >>
    >> I started thinking that if the hard drive failed too, it would be a
    >> real pain getting everything back to square one, so wondered about
    >> buying another hard drive and making an exact copy of the original
    >> so that if the original failed I could just shove it in and away to
    >> go. Some googling and I found this - Casper XP, below is some of the
    >> sales blurb. I wonder if anyone has experience of it and will it do
    >> what I want? Please remember that I am very inexperienced with this
    >> sort of thing! Thanks very much.
    >>
    >> Casper XPT makes it a snap to keep a bootable backup of your Windows
    >> XP system. Just use Casper XP to copy your system hard disk to
    >> another hard disk. When your system hard disk fails or becomes
    >> corrupted, simply boot your computer directly from your backup hard
    >> disk and you're up and running again in just seconds! It really is
    >> that easy!

    > Most retail HDs will come with some type of free 'copy' or 'clone'
    > software that will do the same thing.

    Or download their software from the web. I do that all the time. The command
    they need is often called "copy partition" rather than copy drive.

    Toolman Tim, Jan 5, 2006