    swapping the board like that has a reasonable chance of working.

    --
    YS
    Yellow Submarine, Sep 29, 2003

  2. A friend of mine did that a while ago on an old scsi drive and it worked for
    about 2 years. He made $700 on the job because the legal person that he was
    doing the work for needed all his court documents....

    I would say that if you got the same model number, you might have a
    chance....MIGHT...hehe..

    "Yellow Submarine" <> wrote in message
    > I had a faulty power supply that fried a chip on the my hard drive's

    circuit

    Robert Larson, Sep 29, 2003

  3. Yellow Submarine

    philo Guest

    > I had a faulty power supply that fried a chip on the my hard drive's

    circuit
    > board. (The one on the drive) Naturally I didn't have it backed up and I'd
    > really like to get it running just long enough to copy it.
    >
    > It's a Maxtor 2880 7.2 GB. - an old one.
    >
    > I can buy a replacement drive cheap on eBay and I was wondering if anyone
    > here knows how hard it is to replace one of those boards and whether
    > swapping the board like that has a reasonable chance of working.
    >
    > --
    > YS

    it's worth a try
    there are only about 6 screws or so holding it...
    with a bit of reasonable caution you can do it
    philo, Sep 29, 2003
  4. "philo" <> wrote in message
    > "Yellow Submarine" <> wrote in message
    >> I had a faulty power supply that fried a chip on the my hard drive's
    >> circuit board. (The one on the drive) Naturally I didn't have it
    >> backed up and I'd really like to get it running just long enough to
    >> copy it.
    >>
    >> It's a Maxtor 2880 7.2 GB. - an old one.
    >>
    >> I can buy a replacement drive cheap on eBay and I was wondering if
    >> anyone here knows how hard it is to replace one of those boards and
    >> whether swapping the board like that has a reasonable chance of
    >> working.
    >>
    >> --
    >> YS
    >>

    > it's worth a try
    > there are only about 6 screws or so holding it...
    > with a bit of reasonable caution you can do it

    Thanks to you and Robert, and anyone else who may offer advice. I just
    bought a replacement drive for $14.50 so it's definitely worth a shot.

    If this works out it'll save me a lot of trouble.
    --
    YS
    Yellow Submarine, Sep 30, 2003
  5. No Problem. :)

    Robert Larson, Oct 7, 2003
  6. Yellow Submarine

    leon2046

    Joined:
    Jul 22, 2009
    Messages:
    2
    Though this is an old post but i am interested to reply you.

    I am a newcomer to the hard disk maintenance, but i can suggest you to refer to: hddzone.com/conditions.html

    You can provide them your following details:

    Main Controller IC:
    Motor Combo IC:

    good luck!
    leon2046, Nov 17, 2010