    this drive for video editing, I am keen to utilise this space.

    Thanks.

    Mike

    MIKE COAD, Feb 21, 2004

  2. MIKE COAD

    Thor Guest

    What file system, FAT32, or NTFS?

    "MIKE COAD" <> wrote in message
    news:c17lqb$cit$...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have an 80GB hard drive which shows a capacity of 76.3GB. Of this,

    Windows
    > Explorer shows I have used 73.5GB and have free 2.80GB.
    >
    > Having totted up the sizes of all the folders on the drive (including a
    > couple of hidden ones) it only comes to 43.0GB used.
    >
    > Can anyone explain why it might show this difference of of 30.5GB. As I

    use

    Thor, Feb 21, 2004

  3. MIKE COAD

    Wizard Guest

    What is the page file set to?

    Wizard, Feb 21, 2004
  4. MIKE COAD

    Robert Baer Guest

    MIKE COAD wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have an 80GB hard drive which shows a capacity of 76.3GB. Of this, Windows
    > Explorer shows I have used 73.5GB and have free 2.80GB.
    >
    > Having totted up the sizes of all the folders on the drive (including a
    > couple of hidden ones) it only comes to 43.0GB used.
    >
    > Can anyone explain why it might show this difference of of 30.5GB. As I use
    > this drive for video editing, I am keen to utilise this space.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Mike

    Get another HD and add it into thjecomputer, *or* get a 200Gbyte HD
    and clone from original to new.
    You might need to use Partition Magic to enlarge the original 80Gbyte
    to a larger value after the cloning.

    Robert Baer, Feb 22, 2004
  5. MIKE COAD

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    MIKE COAD wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have an 80GB hard drive which shows a capacity of 76.3GB. Of this, Windows
    > Explorer shows I have used 73.5GB and have free 2.80GB.
    >
    > Having totted up the sizes of all the folders on the drive (including a
    > couple of hidden ones) it only comes to 43.0GB used.
    >
    > Can anyone explain why it might show this difference of of 30.5GB. As I use
    > this drive for video editing, I am keen to utilise this space.

    The clue may be what you use it for Mike. I suspect you have some
    temporary files which may not have been deleted. Check in your temp
    directory, and the directory of whatever video editing program you use.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus

    Oldus Fartus, Feb 22, 2004