Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by atec, Aug 6, 2004.

  1. atec

    atec Guest

    a real gig is 1024 , drive manufactures discovered that making a gig
    1000 meg makes a drive bigger . then there is the shrink factor when
    partitioning and formatting..

    Galaxy, Aug 6, 2004

  3. atec

    Alien Zord Guest

    "Galaxy" <> wrote in message
    > Anyone know the reason why an 80GB drive will
    > only show 76GB and a 10Gb is only showing its
    > capacity as about 8.3GB? All HD's never seem to
    > show their full capacity. I know other people experience
    > this but no one seems to know why it happens.... Anyone?

    Because binary K is 1024,
    binary M is 1024x1024=1 048 576
    binary G is 1024^3=1 073 741 824

    80 000 000 000 bytes is 80GB in decimal, 74.5GB in binary.
    If you right-click on a drive in My Computer and click Properties you'll see
    both decimal and binary values.

    The fault lies with the person who first called 2^10=1024 bytes a 'kilobyte'
    because its so close to 1000. Whoever it was should have been shot long time
    ago!
    Alien Zord, Aug 6, 2004
  4. atec

    Galaxy Guest

    Excellent replies!!

    Thanks a lot.

    Galaxy, Aug 6, 2004
  5. atec

    DC Guest

    atec wrote:
    > a real gig is 1024 , drive manufactures discovered that making a gig
    > 1000 meg makes a drive bigger . then there is the shrink factor when
    > partitioning and formatting..

    That's why I never format my drives in cold water.

    --
    DC Linux RU #1000111011000111001

    DC, Aug 6, 2004
  6. DC wrote:

    > atec wrote:

    >> a real gig is 1024 , drive manufactures discovered that making a gig
    >> 1000 meg makes a drive bigger . then there is the shrink factor when
    >> partitioning and formatting..

    > That's why I never format my drives in cold water.

    That's how the floppy was invented.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    An Important Health Reminder http://snipurl.com/healthyshark
    Blinky the Shark, Aug 6, 2004
  7. atec

    DC Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > DC wrote:

    >> atec wrote:

    >>> a real gig is 1024 , drive manufactures discovered that making a gig
    >>> 1000 meg makes a drive bigger . then there is the shrink factor when
    >>> partitioning and formatting..

    >> That's why I never format my drives in cold water.

    > That's how the floppy was invented.

    I thought that was the thumb drive.

    --
    DC Linux RU #1000111011000111001

    DC, Aug 6, 2004
  8. DC wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >> DC wrote:

    >>> That's why I never format my drives in cold water.

    >> That's how the floppy was invented.

    > I thought that was the thumb drive.

    Ow. I use my Palm.

    Blinky the Shark, Aug 6, 2004
  9. "Galaxy" <> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > Anyone know the reason why an 80GB drive will
    > only show 76GB and a 10Gb is only showing its
    > capacity as about 8.3GB? All HD's never seem to
    > show their full capacity. I know other people experience
    > this but no one seems to know why it happens.... Anyone?
    >
    > thanks

    It was made by a Democrat and they tax you our of the box...

    Dan'l.
    Daniel Dravot, Aug 7, 2004
  10. atec

    Surok Guest

    "Galaxy" <> wrote:
    >Hi
    >
    >Anyone know the reason why an 80GB drive will
    >only show 76GB and a 10Gb is only showing its
    >capacity as about 8.3GB? All HD's never seem to
    >show their full capacity. I know other people experience
    > this but no one seems to know why it happens.... Anyone?
    >
    >thanks

    For that very same reason some people started calling a 1024 byte Kilobyte a
    Kibibyte, aka Kib.
    So...
    1 KiB = 1024 B
    1 KB = 1000 B

    and so on. But not many people use this. Pity. Think of the chaos when we get
    to YB and beyond!
    Surok, Aug 24, 2004