hard drive caddy

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Total Demon, Dec 23, 2003.

  1. Total Demon

    Total Demon Guest

    hello all hope you can shed some light on this strange problem

    i am running windows xp home ed, celeron 1.8, 512mb memory.

    right,

    i used to have on the secondary ide channel as master i had a hard drive
    caddy with a 40gb hd inside and on the slave i had a samsung dvd rom.

    i recently purchased a dvd + r ricoh cant remember exactly what model
    number. so i removed my dvd rom and replaced it with the dvd + r drive.

    now my hard drive caddy light keeps on lighting up as if the drive is been
    written too this seems to be a lot more when you use the dvd drive. it never
    used to do it before until i installed this new drive.

    does anyone have any ideas how to stop it, or fix it, or what it could be,
    any help would be much appreciated.

    i know it isnt a huge problem more of an annoyance any help would be great.

    merry christmas to you all

    Total Demon, Dec 23, 2003

  2. Total Demon

    martin Guest

    "Total Demon" <> wrote in message
    > hello all hope you can shed some light on this strange problem
    >
    > i am running windows xp home ed, celeron 1.8, 512mb memory.
    >
    > right,
    >
    > i used to have on the secondary ide channel as master i had a hard drive
    > caddy with a 40gb hd inside and on the slave i had a samsung dvd rom.
    >
    > i recently purchased a dvd + r ricoh cant remember exactly what model
    > number. so i removed my dvd rom and replaced it with the dvd + r drive.
    >
    > now my hard drive caddy light keeps on lighting up as if the drive is been
    > written too this seems to be a lot more when you use the dvd drive. it

    never
    > used to do it before until i installed this new drive.
    >
    > does anyone have any ideas how to stop it, or fix it, or what it could be,
    > any help would be much appreciated.
    >
    > i know it isnt a huge problem more of an annoyance any help would be

    great.

    > merry christmas to you all

    Try moving the caddie to the slave on the second IDE and the DVD writer on
    the master or move the DVD writer to slave on the first IDE Channel. This
    has solved a problem for me similar to the one you've got but don't ask me
    why it works because I haven't a clue

    Hope this helps

    Martin

    martin, Dec 23, 2003

  3. Total Demon

    MrToad Guest

    "Total Demon" <> Ran in the back door and
    shouted news:bs94iq$g82$:

    > hello all hope you can shed some light on this strange problem
    >
    > i am running windows xp home ed, celeron 1.8, 512mb memory.
    >
    > right,
    >
    > i used to have on the secondary ide channel as master i had a hard
    > drive caddy with a 40gb hd inside and on the slave i had a samsung dvd
    > rom.
    >
    > i recently purchased a dvd + r ricoh cant remember exactly what model
    > number. so i removed my dvd rom and replaced it with the dvd + r
    > drive.
    >
    > now my hard drive caddy light keeps on lighting up as if the drive is
    > been written too this seems to be a lot more when you use the dvd
    > drive. it never used to do it before until i installed this new drive.
    >
    > does anyone have any ideas how to stop it, or fix it, or what it could
    > be, any help would be much appreciated.
    >
    > i know it isnt a huge problem more of an annoyance any help would be
    > great.
    >
    > merry christmas to you all

    Have you tried making the DVD the master and the caddy the slave?

    --
    MrToad

    MrToad, Dec 23, 2003