    drives as Master and Slave?

    Thanks for your help.

    -Charles

    Charles, Jun 6, 2004

  2. Charles

    Elco Guest

    "Charles" <> schreef in bericht
    news:p...
    > I just bought a Seagate hard drive and was surprised
    > to find that the default jumpering is for Cable Select,
    > and the supplied ribbon cable is apparently wired for that.
    >
    > Two questions:
    > 1. Do all EIDE-equipped motherboards support Cable Select,
    > and if not, how can I tell?
    >
    > 2. Can that same ribbon cable be used if I instead jumper the
    > drives as Master and Slave?
    >
    > Thanks for your help.
    >
    > -Charles

    1. Yes

    2. Yes

    --
    grtz......Elco

    Elco, Jun 6, 2004

  3. Charles

    Parko Guest

    On Sun, 06 Jun 2004 10:39:19 +0000, Charles wrote:

    > I just bought a Seagate hard drive and was surprised
    > to find that the default jumpering is for Cable Select,
    > and the supplied ribbon cable is apparently wired for that.
    >
    > Two questions:
    > 1. Do all EIDE-equipped motherboards support Cable Select,
    > and if not, how can I tell?

    Every HD i've bought over the last few years does. Look at the label on
    the HD, or the jumper pinny thingy at the back of the drive.

    > 2. Can that same ribbon cable be used if I instead jumper the
    > drives as Master and Slave?

    Yep

    --
    Parko
    Registered Linux User #339345

    Parko, Jun 6, 2004
  4. Charles

    Charles Guest

    Re: Hard drive Cable Select - followup ???

    On Sun, 06 Jun 2004 12:56:21 +0200, Elco wrote:

    > "Charles" <> schreef in bericht
    >> I just bought a Seagate hard drive and was surprised
    >> to find that the default jumpering is for Cable Select,
    >> and the supplied ribbon cable is apparently wired for that.
    >>
    >> Two questions:
    >> 1. Do all EIDE-equipped motherboards support Cable Select,
    >> and if not, how can I tell?
    >>
    >> 2. Can that same ribbon cable be used if I instead jumper the
    >> drives as Master and Slave?
    >>
    >> Thanks for your help.
    >>
    >> -Charles

    > 1. Yes
    >
    > 2. Yes

    On question 2, is your answer still "Yes" if the drives
    are connected opposite to the standard positions, i.e., if
    the Slave drive is connected via the end connector and the
    Master drive is connected via the middle connector?

    (Sorry, I should have been more specific in my original
    post.)

    -Charles

    Charles, Jun 6, 2004
  5. Charles

    why? Guest

    On Sun, 06 Jun 2004 10:39:19 GMT, Charles wrote:

    >I just bought a Seagate hard drive and was surprised
    >to find that the default jumpering is for Cable Select,
    >and the supplied ribbon cable is apparently wired for that.
    >
    >Two questions:
    >1. Do all EIDE-equipped motherboards support Cable Select,
    >and if not, how can I tell?

    No. Read the motherboard manual.

    <snip>

    Me

    why?, Jun 6, 2004
  6. Charles

    why? Guest

    On Sun, 06 Jun 2004 11:47:12 GMT, Parko wrote:

    >On Sun, 06 Jun 2004 10:39:19 +0000, Charles wrote:
    >
    >> I just bought a Seagate hard drive and was surprised
    >> to find that the default jumpering is for Cable Select,
    >> and the supplied ribbon cable is apparently wired for that.
    >>
    >> Two questions:
    >> 1. Do all EIDE-equipped motherboards support Cable Select,
    >> and if not, how can I tell?

    >Every HD i've bought over the last few years does. Look at the label on
    >the HD, or the jumper pinny thingy at the back of the drive.

    OP said motherboard not drive. I can say the same thing for every HD
    (PATA) bought the last few years. But that's no use if the mobo doesn't
    support it.

    <snip>

    Me

    why?, Jun 6, 2004
  7. Re: Hard drive Cable Select - followup ???

    Charles wrote:

    > On question 2, is your answer still "Yes" if the drives
    > are connected opposite to the standard positions, i.e., if
    > the Slave drive is connected via the end connector and the
    > Master drive is connected via the middle connector?
    >
    > (Sorry, I should have been more specific in my original
    > post.)

    That should not happen: it may lead to drastic speed loss or even data loss
    (corrupted filesystems) with udma66/100/133 drives. In fact, "master"
    jumpered drive at the end connector also "terminates" the line just as it's
    necessary for scsi.
    As an example, I have my harddrives jumpered as "slave" on the middle
    connectors and the dvdrom, cd burner - as usually located on the upper side
    of the tower - jumpered master, due to case and cable length issues. No
    problem at all with that setup.

    Linux woodpecker.homnet.at 2.6.6-0.rc3.1mdkpkt [LinuxCounter#295241]

    Walter Mautner, Jun 6, 2004
  8. Charles

    Elco Guest

    > On Sun, 06 Jun 2004 12:56:21 +0200, Elco wrote:
    >

    > > "Charles" <> schreef in bericht
    > >> I just bought a Seagate hard drive and was surprised
    > >> to find that the default jumpering is for Cable Select,
    > >> and the supplied ribbon cable is apparently wired for that.
    > >>
    > >> Two questions:
    > >> 1. Do all EIDE-equipped motherboards support Cable Select,
    > >> and if not, how can I tell?
    > >>
    > >> 2. Can that same ribbon cable be used if I instead jumper the
    > >> drives as Master and Slave?
    > >>
    > >> Thanks for your help.
    > >>
    > >> -Charles

    > > 1. Yes
    > >
    > > 2. Yes

    > On question 2, is your answer still "Yes" if the drives
    > are connected opposite to the standard positions, i.e., if
    > the Slave drive is connected via the end connector and the
    > Master drive is connected via the middle connector?
    >
    > (Sorry, I should have been more specific in my original
    > post.)
    >
    > -Charles

    The answer is still yes .
    more info :
    http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/ide/confCS-c.html

    --
    grtz......Elco

    Elco, Jun 6, 2004
  9. Charles

    Elco Guest

    Re: Hard drive Cable Select - followup ???

    "Walter Mautner" <> schreef in bericht
    > Charles wrote:
    >
    > > On question 2, is your answer still "Yes" if the drives
    > > are connected opposite to the standard positions, i.e., if
    > > the Slave drive is connected via the end connector and the
    > > Master drive is connected via the middle connector?
    > >
    > > (Sorry, I should have been more specific in my original
    > > post.)
    > >

    > That should not happen: it may lead to drastic speed loss or even data

    loss
    > (corrupted filesystems) with udma66/100/133 drives. In fact, "master"
    > jumpered drive at the end connector also "terminates" the line just as

    it's
    > necessary for scsi.
    > As an example, I have my harddrives jumpered as "slave" on the middle
    > connectors and the dvdrom, cd burner - as usually located on the upper

    side
    > of the tower - jumpered master, due to case and cable length issues. No
    > problem at all with that setup.
    >
    > --
    > Longhorn error#4711: TCPA / NGSCB VIOLATION: Microsoft optical mouse
    > detected penguin patterns on mousepad. Partition scan in progress
    > to remove offending incompatible products. Reactivate your MS software.
    > Linux woodpecker.homnet.at 2.6.6-0.rc3.1mdkpkt [LinuxCounter#295241]

    Ok .....that's right for older systems...1997 and older...
    --
    grtz......Elco

    Elco, Jun 6, 2004
  10. Charles

    Charles Guest

    On Sun, 06 Jun 2004 12:16:55 +0000, why? wrote:

    > On Sun, 06 Jun 2004 10:39:19 GMT, Charles wrote:
    >
    >>I just bought a Seagate hard drive and was surprised
    >>to find that the default jumpering is for Cable Select,
    >>and the supplied ribbon cable is apparently wired for that.
    >>
    >>Two questions:
    >>1. Do all EIDE-equipped motherboards support Cable Select,
    >>and if not, how can I tell?

    > No. Read the motherboard manual.

    Unfortunately the manuals for neither of my motherboards (1998
    and 2004 vintages) say anything about this one way or the other
    (else I wouldn't need to ask).

    -Charles

    Charles, Jun 6, 2004
  11. Charles

    Elco Guest

    "Charles" <> schreef in bericht
    > On Sun, 06 Jun 2004 12:16:55 +0000, why? wrote:
    >

    > > On Sun, 06 Jun 2004 10:39:19 GMT, Charles wrote:
    > >
    > >>I just bought a Seagate hard drive and was surprised
    > >>to find that the default jumpering is for Cable Select,
    > >>and the supplied ribbon cable is apparently wired for that.
    > >>
    > >>Two questions:
    > >>1. Do all EIDE-equipped motherboards support Cable Select,
    > >>and if not, how can I tell?

    > > No. Read the motherboard manual.

    > Unfortunately the manuals for neither of my motherboards (1998
    > and 2004 vintages) say anything about this one way or the other
    > (else I wouldn't need to ask).
    >
    > -Charles

    Cable select is possible by using the right cable and a device (HD ,
    CD,DVD ) jumpered for it.....

    The device at the end of the cable = master...

    So most flat 80-conductor cables are ok for it .....as so for devices....

    --
    grtz......Elco

    Elco, Jun 6, 2004
  12. Charles

    On Sun, 06 Jun 2004 14:59:01 +0200, Elco wrote:

    > "Walter Mautner" <> schreef in bericht
    >> Charles wrote:
    >>
    >> > On question 2, is your answer still "Yes" if the drives
    >> > are connected opposite to the standard positions, i.e., if
    >> > the Slave drive is connected via the end connector and the
    >> > Master drive is connected via the middle connector?
    >> >
    >> > (Sorry, I should have been more specific in my original
    >> > post.)
    >> >

    >> That should not happen: it may lead to drastic speed loss or even data

    > loss
    >> (corrupted filesystems) with udma66/100/133 drives. In fact, "master"
    >> jumpered drive at the end connector also "terminates" the line just as

    > it's
    >> necessary for scsi.
    >> As an example, I have my harddrives jumpered as "slave" on the middle
    >> connectors and the dvdrom, cd burner - as usually located on the upper

    > side
    >> of the tower - jumpered master, due to case and cable length issues. No
    >> problem at all with that setup.
    >>

    > Ok .....that's right for older systems...1997 and older...

    Are you saying it's OK to reverse Master and Slave on their
    connectors with newer systems, in my case new mobo and drives
    both vintage 2004? I ask because I need to swap Master and
    Slave drives once in a while and it's easier to just change
    the jumpers than to physically relocate the drives, and the
    cables don't quite reach to be able to reverse the connectors.

    BTW, many thanks for the cable reference URL, it cleared up
    a lot of questions about these cables.

    -Charles

    Charles, Jun 6, 2004
  13. Charles

    Elco Guest

    > On Sun, 06 Jun 2004 14:59:01 +0200, Elco wrote:
    >

    > > "Walter Mautner" <> schreef in

    bericht

    > >> That should not happen: it may lead to drastic speed loss or even data

    > > loss
    > >> (corrupted filesystems) with udma66/100/133 drives. In fact, "master"
    > >> jumpered drive at the end connector also "terminates" the line just as

    > > it's
    > >> necessary for scsi.
    > >> As an example, I have my harddrives jumpered as "slave" on the middle
    > >> connectors and the dvdrom, cd burner - as usually located on the upper

    > > side
    > >> of the tower - jumpered master, due to case and cable length issues. No
    > >> problem at all with that setup.
    > >>

    > > Ok .....that's right for older systems...1997 and older...

    > Are you saying it's OK to reverse Master and Slave on their
    > connectors with newer systems, in my case new mobo and drives
    > both vintage 2004? I ask because I need to swap Master and
    > Slave drives once in a while and it's easier to just change
    > the jumpers than to physically relocate the drives, and the
    > cables don't quite reach to be able to reverse the connectors.
    >
    > BTW, many thanks for the cable reference URL, it cleared up
    > a lot of questions about these cables.
    >
    > -Charles

    Had exact the same situation in my system ...just changing jumpers without
    touching the cable works just fine...

    --
    grtz......Elco

    Elco, Jun 6, 2004
  14. Charles

    why? Guest

    On Sun, 06 Jun 2004 14:53:25 GMT, Charles wrote:

    >On Sun, 06 Jun 2004 12:16:55 +0000, why? wrote:
    >

    >> On Sun, 06 Jun 2004 10:39:19 GMT, Charles wrote:
    >>
    >>>I just bought a Seagate hard drive and was surprised
    >>>to find that the default jumpering is for Cable Select,

    That's common.

    >>>and the supplied ribbon cable is apparently wired for that.
    >>>
    >>>Two questions:
    >>>1. Do all EIDE-equipped motherboards support Cable Select,
    >>>and if not, how can I tell?

    >> No. Read the motherboard manual.

    >Unfortunately the manuals for neither of my motherboards (1998

    Would not expect it on a 1998 board.

    >and 2004 vintages) say anything about this one way or the other
    >(else I wouldn't need to ask).

    How would anyone know if you didn't say you checked the manuals earlier?

    I don't think you mentioned any of the mobo models either.

    You could always try some of the mobo groups.

    alt.comp.periphs.mainboard! 0
    alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit! 0
    alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.aopen! 0
    alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus! 0
    alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech! 0
    alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.elitegroup! 0
    alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.epox! 0
    alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic! 0
    alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte! 0
    alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte! 0
    alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.iwill! 0
    alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar! 0
    alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.m-tech! 0
    alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.octek! 0
    alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.qdi! 0
    alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle! 0
    alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.soyo! 0
    alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.supermicro! 0
    alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.tacos! 0
    alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.tyan! 0

    Ignore the '! 0' on the end of those lines it's from my newsreader
    export groups function.

    Me

    why?, Jun 6, 2004
  15. Charles

    Charles Guest

    On Sun, 06 Jun 2004 16:36:09 +0000, why? wrote:

    > On Sun, 06 Jun 2004 14:53:25 GMT, Charles wrote:

    > That's common.

    >>> No. Read the motherboard manual.

    >>Unfortunately the manuals for neither of my motherboards (1998

    > Would not expect it on a 1998 board.
    >
    >>and 2004 vintages) say anything about this one way or the other
    >>(else I wouldn't need to ask).

    > How would anyone know if you didn't say you checked the manuals earlier?
    >
    > I don't think you mentioned any of the mobo models either.
    >
    > You could always try some of the mobo groups.
    >
    > alt.comp.periphs.mainboard! 0
    > alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit! 0
    > alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.aopen! 0
    > alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus! 0
    > alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech! 0
    > alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.elitegroup! 0
    > alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.epox! 0
    > alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic! 0
    > alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte! 0
    > alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte! 0
    > alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.iwill! 0
    > alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar! 0
    > alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.m-tech! 0
    > alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.octek! 0
    > alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.qdi! 0
    > alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle! 0
    > alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.soyo! 0
    > alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.supermicro! 0
    > alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.tacos! 0
    > alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.tyan! 0
    >
    > Ignore the '! 0' on the end of those lines it's from my newsreader
    > export groups function.
    >
    > Me

    OK, thanks for your help.

    -Charles