Hard drive burnt out (literaly) need pcb board (Maxtor Maxline 2 250 Gig)

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by bilbo44uk, Mar 23, 2006.

  1. bilbo44uk

    bilbo44uk Guest

    Long shot, i have this hard drive 250 GB

    Connection Interface

    EIDE, DMA/ATA-133

    Rotational Speed

    7200 rpm

    Weight

    1.34 lbs

    Data Transfer Rate

    133 Mbps

    Disk Capacity

    250 GB

    its a Maxtor Maxline 2, ATA drive, its a year old.

    It overheated i think, the pcb on the bottom has burnt straight through
    one of the microchips, it is under warranty, but i have some 20,000
    mp3s on it, tons of familly photos and paid for software, i really
    don't want to send it back to lose the lot and get a shoddy replacment
    drive, im really good with electronics, question is how can i get a
    replacment control board, or has anyone got a dead drive with a good
    control board on it.

    Tim.

    bilbo44uk, Mar 23, 2006

  2. bilbo44uk

    Trax Guest

    "bilbo44uk" <> wrote:

    |>its a Maxtor Maxline 2, ATA drive, its a year old.
    |>
    |>It overheated i think, the pcb on the bottom has burnt straight through
    |>one of the microchips, it is under warranty, but i have some 20,000
    |>mp3s on it, tons of familly photos and paid for software, i really
    |>don't want to send it back to lose the lot and get a shoddy replacment
    |>drive, im really good with electronics, question is how can i get a
    |>replacment control board, or has anyone got a dead drive with a good
    |>control board on it.

    Ya I've done it before, find an exact drive and transfer the PCB to
    the bad one. You should find a number on the PCB, find one like it.

    If your real careful with the screws and don't break any markers, good
    chance you could still get a replacement (If the drive you Cannibalize
    is still good).

    --
    http://forums.fark.com/cgi/fark/comments.pl?IDLink=1956285

    Trax, Mar 23, 2006