    If anyone has any ideas which can help i'd be very grateful

    Thanks

    David.

    David Gartrell, Jan 11, 2006

  2. No, without more the HD must be shared through a running computer OS or some
    hardware device which provides this function. There are standalone devices
    which can do so, and prices are coming down. eg. see:

    http://netgear.com/products/consumer/prod_storage_wired_hm.php

    Doug Sherman
    MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP

    "David Gartrell" <> wrote in message
    > Hi there,
    >
    > Don't know if you can help me or not but here goes....
    >

    > Basically I have 3 pcs which are networked together by means of a wireless
    > network. I also have a 250 Gb IDE hard drive which is housed in an
    > external hard drive housing box and contains a usb port at the back. What
    > i'm wondering is ..... is there any way I can set it up so that the

    external
    > hard drive in the box can be used as a standalone file storage area for

    the

    Doug Sherman [MVP], Jan 11, 2006

  3. Is there anything i could plug into the usb port at the back of the unit
    that would allow wireless access - a usb wireless adapter perhaps?

    David Gartrell, Jan 11, 2006
  4. Unless the "external hard drive housing box" provides something much more
    than an IDE/USB interface, no. Of course, you could attach USB wireless
    adapter, and it might even get an IP address; but I don't see how that would
    allow you to access the drive unless the box is actually a network storage
    device. Typically a network storage device would have an ethernet RJ45
    port.

    > Is there anything i could plug into the usb port at the back of the unit
    > that would allow wireless access - a usb wireless adapter perhaps?
    >
    > "Doug Sherman [MVP]" <> wrote in

    message

    Doug Sherman [MVP], Jan 11, 2006