    40GB hard drive from a full sized iPod would work pretty well in a
    camcorder.
    Why are people opposed to it?

    TS, Nov 28, 2004

  2. TS

    Marli Guest

    You can get a Micro drive already

    Marli, Nov 28, 2004

  3. TS

    Bruce Murphy Guest

    (TS) writes:

    > Any plans for digital cameras and camcorders with built-in hard drives
    > to ever be created?
    > I would think the little 5GB drives similar to what's in in a Rio
    > Carbon or iPod Mini could work very well in a digital camera

    Just like the 4gb microdrives?

    > Why are people opposed to it?

    Why are people sufficiently clueless that they suggest 'cool new
    ideas' that have been in use for years?

    Bruce Murphy, Nov 28, 2004
  4. TS

    Seymore Guest

    "TS" <> wrote in message
    > Any plans for digital cameras and camcorders with built-in hard drives
    > to ever be created?
    > I would think the little 5GB drives similar to what's in in a Rio
    > Carbon or iPod Mini could work very well in a digital camera and a
    > 40GB hard drive from a full sized iPod would work pretty well in a
    > camcorder.
    > Why are people opposed to it?

    Because hardrives are usually rated in "ms"... where non-volitle RAM is
    rated in "ns". So, you really want to slow down the write times?

    Seymore...
    remove "REMOVE" to reply directly

    Seymore, Nov 28, 2004
  5. TS

    Bruce Murphy Guest

    "Seymore" <> writes:

    > "TS" <> wrote in message
    > > Any plans for digital cameras and camcorders with built-in hard drives
    > > to ever be created?
    > > I would think the little 5GB drives similar to what's in in a Rio
    > > Carbon or iPod Mini could work very well in a digital camera and a
    > > 40GB hard drive from a full sized iPod would work pretty well in a
    > > camcorder.
    > > Why are people opposed to it?

    > Because hardrives are usually rated in "ms"... where non-volitle RAM is
    > rated in "ns". So, you really want to slow down the write times?

    Flash rated to write three orders of magnitude faster than a hard
    drive? Really? Wow. When can I get some?

    Bruce Murphy, Nov 28, 2004
  6. TS

    Mark² Guest

    "TS" <> wrote in message
    > Any plans for digital cameras and camcorders with built-in hard drives
    > to ever be created?
    > I would think the little 5GB drives similar to what's in in a Rio
    > Carbon or iPod Mini could work very well in a digital camera and a
    > 40GB hard drive from a full sized iPod would work pretty well in a
    > camcorder.
    > Why are people opposed to it?

    Mircrodrives have been available for years.
    I've been shooting with 1GB hard drives since 2001.
    4GB drives have been available for some time.

    Mark², Nov 28, 2004
  7. TS

    Pepys Guest

    My old Kodak DCS410 has a 512mb hard drive in it. That is the only storage
    medium I can use with the old clunker.

    Sam

    Pepys, Nov 28, 2004
  8. "TS" <> wrote in message
    > Any plans for digital cameras and camcorders with built-in hard drives
    > to ever be created?
    > I would think the little 5GB drives similar to what's in in a Rio
    > Carbon or iPod Mini could work very well in a digital camera and a
    > 40GB hard drive from a full sized iPod would work pretty well in a
    > camcorder.
    > Why are people opposed to it?

    Don't think they are- several new digital backs for medium format SLRs have
    built in drives in addition to CF slots. IIRC, the new Mamiya and Hasselblad
    DSLRs will have them too.

    no, and yes...."

    Martin Francis, Nov 28, 2004
  9. TS

    YAG-ART Guest

    You can already buy microdrives that fit where a CF card does.

    YAG-ART, Nov 28, 2004
  10. On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 23:35:31 -0800, TS wrote:

    > Any plans for digital cameras and camcorders with built-in hard drives to
    > ever be created?

    Yes:-

    http://www.jvc.com/presentations/everio/

    > I would think the little 5GB drives similar to what's in in a Rio Carbon
    > or iPod Mini could work very well in a digital camera and a 40GB hard
    > drive from a full sized iPod would work pretty well in a camcorder. Why
    > are people opposed to it?

    They're just slow getting there.

    Mike.

    Mike Brodbelt, Nov 28, 2004
  11. TS

    Jim Townsend Guest

    TS wrote:

    > Any plans for digital cameras and camcorders with built-in hard drives
    > to ever be created?
    > I would think the little 5GB drives similar to what's in in a Rio
    > Carbon or iPod Mini could work very well in a digital camera and a
    > 40GB hard drive from a full sized iPod would work pretty well in a
    > camcorder.
    > Why are people opposed to it?

    Sony makes a camera with a built in CD burner. All you have to
    do to view your photos is pop out the CD and place it in your
    computer's CDROM.

    http://www.steves-digicams.com/cd1000.html

    Somehow this configuration isn't popular. Small removable media
    seems to be most preferred.

    They've already made hard drives small enough to fit in the place of a
    type II CF card.. They may have 40+ gigs capacity some day.

    Of course, they may have solid state 40 gig cards in the future too.

    Who knows :)

    Jim Townsend, Nov 28, 2004
  12. TS

    Hunt Guest

    In article <>, maxview80
    @hotmail.com says...

    >Any plans for digital cameras and camcorders with built-in hard drives
    >to ever be created?
    >I would think the little 5GB drives similar to what's in in a Rio
    >Carbon or iPod Mini could work very well in a digital camera and a
    >40GB hard drive from a full sized iPod would work pretty well in a
    >camcorder.
    >Why are people opposed to it?

    Nikon has an iPod-like separate 30GB HDD unit with 2.5" viewing screen and CF
    card reader. It's not built into the D70 & DX cameras, but serves the basic
    purpose.

    Hunt

    Hunt, Nov 28, 2004
  13. TS

    Big Bill Guest

    On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 14:13:39 +0000, Mike Brodbelt
    <mike@_nospam_coruscant.demon.co.uk> wrote:

    >On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 23:35:31 -0800, TS wrote:
    >
    >> Any plans for digital cameras and camcorders with built-in hard drives to
    >> ever be created?

    >Yes:-
    >
    >http://www.jvc.com/presentations/everio/

    That camera uses what the site calls "4GB Microdrive® Removable
    Media".
    There's a drawing that seems to indicate that the Microdrive they use
    is larger than a similar CFG card using a Microdrive, but there's
    nothing to indicate that they are not using a standard CF/Microdrive
    card, and nothing to indicate that the drawing is to scale.
    The site indicates that the Microdrive is removable, and can be "set"
    into a PC, but does not indicate the form factor of the removable
    drive, or any specific reader to handle their particular Microdrive.
    Based on this, I am concluding that they use a standard CF/Microdrive
    card, and using Ad-speak to cloud the issue.

    --
    Bill Funk
    Change "g" to "a"

    Big Bill, Nov 28, 2004
  14. TS

    Big Bill Guest

    On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 14:13:39 +0000, Mike Brodbelt
    <mike@_nospam_coruscant.demon.co.uk> wrote:

    >On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 23:35:31 -0800, TS wrote:
    >
    >> Any plans for digital cameras and camcorders with built-in hard drives to
    >> ever be created?

    >Yes:-
    >
    >http://www.jvc.com/presentations/everio/

    On closer examination, the camera uses Microdrive/CD/SD cards.
    No inbuilt hard drive. Just the ability to use CF/Microdrive cards,
    with ad-speak used to impress/confuse the reader.

    Look here:
    http://www.jvc.com/presentations/everio/overview/index.html
    and look to the right of the box that says "Print Service". It explais
    what the icons in the diagram mean.

    "When the media created with Everio is set into a PC* or Everio is
    connected to a PC via a USB 2.0 port, you can play and store data,
    burn it to a DVD, upload it to the Internet or print it.
    *May require an adapter."
    No mention of where to buy the adapter, nor any indication the adapter
    needed is anything other than a standard CF or SD reader.

    --
    Bill Funk
    Change "g" to "a"

    Big Bill, Nov 28, 2004
  15. TS

    Big Bill Guest

    On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 10:47:13 -0700, Big Bill <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 14:13:39 +0000, Mike Brodbelt
    ><mike@_nospam_coruscant.demon.co.uk> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 23:35:31 -0800, TS wrote:
    >>
    >>> Any plans for digital cameras and camcorders with built-in hard drives to
    >>> ever be created?

    >>Yes:-
    >>
    >>http://www.jvc.com/presentations/everio/

    >On closer examination, the camera uses Microdrive/CD/SD cards.

    Darn fat fingers! That should read, "Microdrive/CF/SD cards".

    --
    Bill Funk
    Change "g" to "a"

    Big Bill, Nov 29, 2004
  16. TS

    \\\\\\ Guest

    80x speed-12gb compactflash card
    http://www.pretec.com/product/SSD/CF_Commercial/Cheetah80X.htm
    Only $9,999
    Pete
    --
    remove xxx from email to reply

    \\\\\\, Nov 29, 2004
  17. TS

    Jer Guest

    Jer, Nov 29, 2004
  18. (TS) writes:
    >Any plans for digital cameras and camcorders with built-in hard drives
    >to ever be created?
    >I would think the little 5GB drives similar to what's in in a Rio
    >Carbon or iPod Mini could work very well in a digital camera and a
    >40GB hard drive from a full sized iPod would work pretty well in a
    >camcorder.
    >Why are people opposed to it?

    Who's opposed to it?

    The very early Kodak digital cameras used by news photographers had a
    couple of PCMCIA slots that took plug-in hard drives. I think they were
    a few hundred MB (not GB) each.

    I know I've seen an ENG (electronic news gathering) camera, of the sort
    that TV station remote trucks use, that used a hard disk for storage.

    You can buy microdrives in the form of a CF Type II card and use them in
    many digital cameras today.

    However, hard drives are less robust than solid-state flash RAM chips,
    and they cost a lot more per byte than magnetic tape. So far, they have
    not taken over from these other forms because they're not uniformly
    better.

    Dave

    Dave Martindale, Nov 29, 2004

  19. >>I would think the little 5GB drives similar to what's in in a Rio
    >>Carbon or iPod Mini could work very well in a digital camera and a

    I saw a site once explaining how to remove the drive from a creative labs mp3
    player and plug it right into the card slot of a Nikon.

    Can't find it now of course, but it proves it's possible. And much cheaper than
    buying the drive on its own.

    --
    Chris Pollard

    http://www.cginternet.net

    Christopher Pollard, Nov 29, 2004
  20. TS

    Guest

    Kibo informs me that Jer <> stated that:

    >"""""" wrote:
    >
    >> 80x speed-12gb compactflash card
    >> http://www.pretec.com/product/SSD/CF_Commercial/Cheetah80X.htm
    >> Only $9,999
    >> Pete

    >I think half the group just fainted dead away. Yikes!

    On the bright side, you can buy 2 of the 6GB version of the same card
    for only $800 each.

    , Nov 29, 2004