    its just a case of connecting it up, and off I go......

    any help or advice before I start much appreciated.

    Phil.

    Phil B, Feb 19, 2004

  2. Phil B

    tony.com Guest

    AS FAR AS I KNOW YOU ONLY HAVE TO FORMAT THE NEW HARD DRIVE
    "Phil B" <-ME.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Morning all,
    > I'm about to install a new second hd onto my pc, and was wondering which
    > files ect I need to backup before I do so?
    >
    > xp home p4 . pre installed on pc
    >
    > or do I need to do it at all. the new drive is going to be a slave. I

    think

    tony.com, Feb 19, 2004

  3. Phil B

    Root Guest

    > Morning all,
    > I'm about to install a new second hd onto my pc, and was wondering which
    > files ect I need to backup before I do so?
    >
    > xp home p4 . pre installed on pc
    >
    > or do I need to do it at all. the new drive is going to be a slave. I think
    > its just a case of connecting it up, and off I go......
    >
    > any help or advice before I start much appreciated.
    >
    > Phil.

    Hi, as you are just installing the 2nd hdd as slave, there is no
    backup of the 1st hdd necessary. Just make sure you jumper the 2nd one
    as slave drive. Then fdisk and/or partition the 2nd drive (careful). I
    don't have XP so don't know how to fdisk in XP.

    Then format the 2nd drive.

    Root, Feb 19, 2004
  4. Phil B

    WCH Guest

    As long as your system can "see" the newly-added slave drive once it's in,
    you'll be able to format it from XP (I believe, not that familiar with that
    O/S). If not, there are other apps that can do the job, such as Partition
    Magic.

    On the subject of back-ups, though, a little free advice. If you are NOT
    doing regular, complete back-ups of your data, not just because you're going
    to install hardware but as a matter of routine, you're making a very common
    but very bad mistake. These days it's SO EASY to back up your data (to
    discs, to tape, to HD, to ISO, etc) that there's no good excuse NOT to do
    so. You just never know when you'll either need a file that you erased by
    mistake last week or your HD gets corrupted by something or whatever. Many
    ways to do it -- just a friendly word to the wise.
    WC

    WCH, Feb 19, 2004
  5. planet server

    does anyone know what is happening to the Planet server? This is the second
    time in 3 days that it can't be reached?

    Gerda

    Gerda Baardman, Feb 19, 2004
  6. Phil B

    mhicaoidh Guest

    Taking a moment's reflection, Phil B mused:

    | or do I need to do it at all. the new drive is going to be a slave. I
    | think its just a case of connecting it up, and off I go......

    Other than what others have mentioned, you'll need to make sure your
    current HDD has the proper jumper setting as well. It may be set to Master
    w/o Slave, and this could cause a problem. If it is set to Cable Select,
    then the one you are adding should be set the same, and the first HDD should
    be left attached to the same plug on the cable that it is now. Otherwise,
    make sure the existing HDD is set to Master, and the one you are adding is
    set to Slave.

    mhicaoidh, Feb 19, 2004
  7. Phil B

    c.rowlands4 Guest

    Root wrote:
    >> Morning all,
    >> I'm about to install a new second hd onto my pc, and was wondering
    >> which files ect I need to backup before I do so?
    >>
    >> xp home p4 . pre installed on pc
    >>
    >> or do I need to do it at all. the new drive is going to be a slave.
    >> I think its just a case of connecting it up, and off I go......
    >>
    >> any help or advice before I start much appreciated.
    >>
    >> Phil.

    > Hi, as you are just installing the 2nd hdd as slave, there is no
    > backup of the 1st hdd necessary. Just make sure you jumper the 2nd one
    > as slave drive. Then fdisk and/or partition the 2nd drive (careful). I
    > don't have XP so don't know how to fdisk in XP.
    >
    > Then format the 2nd drive.

    You'll need to go into Device Manager to do this. Look carefully, highlight
    the new drive and follow instructions. It's very simple when you know how!
    Just remember not inadvertently format "C"!

    ---

    c.rowlands4, Feb 19, 2004
  8. Phil B

    Phil B Guest

    Thankyou all............... will do it today.

    let ya no how it goes,

    Phil.

    Phil B, Feb 20, 2004