  1. Andy Petro

    Andy Petro Guest

    Is there anything wrong with keeping the hard drive running all day ?
    Andy Petro, Dec 5, 2011

  2. Andy Petro

    Paul Guest

    Andy Petro wrote:
    > Is there anything wrong with keeping the hard drive running all day ?

    The available evidence is, that hard drives have a "wearout"
    failure characteristics. Which suggests, when they're not being
    used, they should be turned off. (That wasn't from the Google
    hard drive study, but another, smaller academic study. It found
    the failure statistics, did not match those suggested by the
    hard drive manufacturers. The failure curves, were not a classic
    "bathtub" curve.)

    *******

    You have the option of selecting "shutdown", instead of "hibernate",
    and the added boot time isn't that much of an issue. My WinXP boots
    almost as fast, fresh, as it takes for hibernate to load the
    last session from disk. I haven't timed the two of them with a
    stopwatch - all I'm saying is, a fresh boot doesn't take so long
    here, that I hate it. I'm finding some Linux OSes, take longer
    to boot, than my WinXP does (that seems to be related to the
    graphical desktop, rather than the OS itself - if I load the server
    version of OS, it boots faster).

    WinXP boot time isn't that long, but depending on your AV software,
    the initial scan an AV might do, can make the boot process more
    painful than otherwise. There is plenty of add-on software, that
    pummels the disk drive, just after boot completes, and that is
    partially why people hate to reboot. My laptop is like that.

    Paul
    Paul, Dec 5, 2011

  3. "Andy Petro" <> wrote in message

    > Is there anything wrong with keeping the hard drive running all day ?

    My Power Settings are to invoke the screen saver in 5 minutes, turn the
    monitor off after 10 minutes, and turn the hard drive off after 15 minutes.
    I never turn the system off, and I do not use Hibernate. I can move the
    mouse or hit the keyboard, and my machine comes up instantly.

    The important thing is that you want the different parts of the machine to
    shut down in the correct order -- if the machine turns the drive off after
    10 minutes, it won't know when to shut down the monitor.
    Jeff Strickland, Dec 5, 2011
  4. Andy Petro

    - Bobb - Guest

    "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote in message

    > "Andy Petro" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >> Is there anything wrong with keeping the hard drive running all day ?
    >>

    > My Power Settings are to invoke the screen saver in 5 minutes, turn the
    > monitor off after 10 minutes, and turn the hard drive off after 15
    > minutes. I never turn the system off, and I do not use Hibernate. I can
    > move the mouse or hit the keyboard, and my machine comes up instantly.
    >
    > The important thing is that you want the different parts of the machine to
    > shut down in the correct order -- if the machine turns the drive off after
    > 10 minutes, it won't know when to shut down the monitor.

    I use 'Standby' if it's gonna be hours and it wakes up with a tap of the
    space bar ( BIOS power settings)
    Things to keep in mind:
    Is the air circulation OK to run it all the time ?
    Firewall / password locked when unused ?
    You don't want the drive spinning up/down/up/down so don't make the timeout
    too short.

    PS Microsoft OS has a lot of overhead and even they suggest that you reboot
    your PC every xx days to flush it out. Not sure of exact spec but once a
    week wouldn't hurt.
    - Bobb -, Dec 7, 2011