    enough for backup purposes??

    --
    Dave

    Dave Hardenbrook, May 3, 2005

  2. Dave Hardenbrook

    Guest

    I got one off ebay for .99 cents. Work well. Allways check ebay for
    things like that.

    , May 3, 2005

  3. Honest Advice? If you want to create a proper business service you
    need to get some variety of tape backup device (or other backup) for
    the following reasons:

    * An 8 GB HDD will not last very long if you have more than one
    client
    * A single HDD offers no data redundancy and therefore little
    security
    * A single HDD is prone to crashing and losing ALL you backup data
    * You cannot store the HDD securely (and in a fireproof place) if you
    are carting it around to each and every backup
    * It just looks more professional

    You can easily get low capacity (4GB) Travan Tape drives for less than
    £25 on ebay...you might want to chack them out. Backup is a very risky
    area to dabble in if your equipment is not up to the job

    the_angry_monkey, May 3, 2005
  4. Dave Hardenbrook

    AG Guest

    My USB CDRW cost me less than $40 US a couple of years ago. Look around.
    The one I have even works under Knoppix.

    AG

    AG, May 3, 2005
  5. Thanks to everyone for the responses.

    I should clarify that it was never my intention to use my spare HD for
    *permanently* storing my clients' backups -- Only until I could get it
    back home and transfer it to CD-R or RW on my own system. But maybe I
    should just save a step and invest in an external CD or DVD burner?

    I will say that I used to have a parallel burner (a Backpack Rewriter)
    and had nothing but trouble with it. Are the USB burners more reliable?

    Dave Hardenbrook, May 3, 2005
  6. Another option of course is to build a special backup pc in a shuttle
    box with just a DVD-R/CD-R, and space for a customer HDD as well as
    an OS. If you could find some way of placing all the necessary
    conenectors so they are easy to access you could do full speed
    backups to your own pc and then later transfer to CD/DVD

    the_angry_monkey, May 4, 2005