Hard disk RF noise...

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Chris Wilkinson, Dec 22, 2003.

  1. Hi there,

    I've just setup a small recording studio in my room. It uses
    my old Atari Falcon computer as a MIDI device, and all is to
    be recorded to a 4 track high-quality Fostex deck using metal
    tape.

    The hard disk my Atari uses is a 1.2GB IDE disk of the usual
    shape, but due to the original chassis of the Atari being able
    to fit only a 2.5" laptop style drive I've had to run a power
    and data cable out the back of the Atari, and sit the disk on
    top of the computer chassis...where it gives off a large amount
    of RF noise that is picked up very audibly by the Fostex deck.

    How can I shield this RF? Should I need to earth any shield
    device I might put around the disk?

    Any thoughts welcome...

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Dec 22, 2003

  2. On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 13:36:01 +1300, Chris Wilkinson wrote:

    > How can I shield this RF? Should I need to earth any shield
    > device I might put around the disk?

    Use foil-wrapped cable. That's where the shit is being radiated from.

    And thread it through a RF choke or 2.

    Uncle StoatWarbler, Dec 22, 2003

  3. Hi there,

    Uncle StoatWarbler wrote:
    > On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 13:36:01 +1300, Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    >

    >>How can I shield this RF? Should I need to earth any shield
    >>device I might put around the disk?

    > Use foil-wrapped cable. That's where the shit is being radiated from.
    >
    > And thread it through a RF choke or 2.

    I've got the 40-way ribbon and a 4 way power hanging out the arse of
    the Atari, so I'll try wrapping them in foil? I'll try a small foil
    wrapped box for the drive itself, since I don't want that getting
    too dusty...

    Cheers...

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Dec 22, 2003
  4. Chris Wilkinson

    Brendan Guest

    On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 15:04:55 +1300, Chris Wilkinson wrote:

    > I've got the 40-way ribbon and a 4 way power hanging out the arse of
    > the Atari, so I'll try wrapping them in foil? I'll try a small foil
    > wrapped box for the drive itself, since I don't want that getting
    > too dusty...

    Cut a hole in an old cake tin, earth the tin and make it meet up with the
    back of the atari ?

    --

    .... Brendan

    Holly: The North Western Electricity Board. They want you Dave.
    Lister: Me ? Why, what for ?
    Holly: For your crimes against Humanity.
    Lister: You what ?!
    Holly: Seems when you left Earth 3 million years ago, you left two half
    eaten German sausages on a plate in your kitchen.
    Lister: Did I ?
    Holly: You know what happens to sausages left unattended for 3 million
    years ?
    Lister: Yeah, they go mouldy.
    Holly: Your sausages, Dave, now cover seven eighths of the Earth's surface.
    Also you left seventeen pounds fifty pence in your bank account. Thanks to
    compund interest you now own 98% of all the worlds wealth. Because you
    horded it for 3 million years, nobody's got any money except for you and
    Norweb.
    Lister: Why Norweb ?
    Holly: You left a light on in the bathroom... Got a final demand here for
    one hundred and eighty billion pounds.
    Lister: One hundred and eighty billion pound ?! Ya kidding ?
    Holly: April Fool.
    Lister: But it's not April.
    Holly: Yeah I know. But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot joke
    like that under my belt.
    Lister: So you just made it all up then ?
    Holly: Yeah, bit of excitement for a while wasn't it ?

    Note: All comments are copyright 2003, and are opinion only where not
    otherwise stated, and always 'to the best of my reccollection'.

    Brendan, Dec 22, 2003
  5. Hi there,

    Brendan wrote:
    > On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 15:04:55 +1300, Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    >

    >>I've got the 40-way ribbon and a 4 way power hanging out the arse of
    >>the Atari, so I'll try wrapping them in foil? I'll try a small foil
    >>wrapped box for the drive itself, since I don't want that getting
    >>too dusty...

    > Cut a hole in an old cake tin, earth the tin and make it meet up with the
    > back of the atari ?

    Might give it a try, but I've discovered that the RF being picked up is
    only being picked up by the headphone/line-out stage, not the line-in
    stage, so it doesn't get recorded...phew! Once I've recorded the MIDI
    I need I can switch the Atari off and not worry about the RF annoying
    me, cos it surely would after take 23 of my acoustic guitar part being
    bumbled yet again! :)

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Dec 23, 2003
  6. Chris Wilkinson

    Chris Guest

    Chris Wilkinson <> wrote in

    > Might give it a try, but I've discovered that the RF being picked up
    > is only being picked up by the headphone/line-out stage, not the
    > line-in stage, so it doesn't get recorded...phew! Once I've recorded
    > the MIDI I need I can switch the Atari off and not worry about the RF
    > annoying me, cos it surely would after take 23 of my acoustic guitar
    > part being bumbled yet again! :)

    You could try threading 2 or 3 or more turns of the headphone cable through
    an RF choke at the plug end as it sounds like the headphone cable is acting
    like an aerial.

    --
    Chris

    Chris, Dec 23, 2003
  7. Chris Wilkinson

    Brendan Guest

    On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 21:41:46 +1300, Chris Wilkinson wrote:

    > Might give it a try, but I've discovered that the RF being picked up is
    > only being picked up by the headphone/line-out stage, not the line-in
    > stage, so it doesn't get recorded...phew! Once I've recorded the MIDI
    > I need I can switch the Atari off and not worry about the RF annoying
    > me, cos it surely would after take 23 of my acoustic guitar part being
    > bumbled yet again! :)

    Woger suggests you stick the drive on the end of a 12 meter cable and sit
    it outside. Apparently it'll be cooler also ;)

    Brendan, Dec 23, 2003
  8. Hi there,

    Chris wrote:
    > Chris Wilkinson <> wrote in
    >

    >>Might give it a try, but I've discovered that the RF being picked up
    >>is only being picked up by the headphone/line-out stage, not the
    >>line-in stage, so it doesn't get recorded...phew! Once I've recorded
    >>the MIDI I need I can switch the Atari off and not worry about the RF
    >>annoying me, cos it surely would after take 23 of my acoustic guitar
    >>part being bumbled yet again! :)

    > You could try threading 2 or 3 or more turns of the headphone cable through
    > an RF choke at the plug end as it sounds like the headphone cable is acting
    > like an aerial.

    After experimenting I've found the best way to shield the disk is to
    grab the sucker in my hand. Only problem is that one-handed guitar
    is not for beginners or genii alike... :)

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Dec 23, 2003