    it? This old h.d. is, in my mind, now unreliable, but I don't plan on
    storing anything critical to it that isn't backed-up somewhere else.

    Thanks for any advice that anyone can give.

    Dave, Jan 2, 2008

  2. Dave

    philo Guest

    "Dave" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I just completed the assembly of a new computer, with new memory, two
    > new hard disks (h.d.s), etc. I installed XP Home SP2 from my old,
    > abandoned machine. I also installed an old h.d. from the abandoned
    > machine, and it was pretty clear that this old h.d. had some disk
    > errors in it, as I had to abandon a small number (< 5) files on it
    > when I copied them to one of the new h.d.s.
    >
    > In this version of XP i referenced, is there a built-in tool for
    > examining the hard disk and marking the bad sectors so they won't be
    > written to again, or a free tool (from wherever) that can assess the
    > health of this h.d. to see if it is even practical to continue to use
    > it? This old h.d. is, in my mind, now unreliable, but I don't plan on
    > storing anything critical to it that isn't backed-up somewhere else.
    >
    > Thanks for any advice that anyone can give.

    Although I advise agains using the drive...
    you can go into disk management and delete it...
    then re-create and format.

    If that does not do the trick...time to pull it from the machine and forget
    it

    philo, Jan 2, 2008

  3. Dave

    Rôgêr Guest

    philo wrote:
    > "Dave" <> wrote in message
    >> I just completed the assembly of a new computer, with new memory, two
    >> new hard disks (h.d.s), etc. I installed XP Home SP2 from my old,
    >> abandoned machine. I also installed an old h.d. from the abandoned
    >> machine, and it was pretty clear that this old h.d. had some disk
    >> errors in it, as I had to abandon a small number (< 5) files on it
    >> when I copied them to one of the new h.d.s.
    >>
    >> In this version of XP i referenced, is there a built-in tool for
    >> examining the hard disk and marking the bad sectors so they won't be
    >> written to again, or a free tool (from wherever) that can assess the
    >> health of this h.d. to see if it is even practical to continue to use
    >> it? This old h.d. is, in my mind, now unreliable, but I don't plan on
    >> storing anything critical to it that isn't backed-up somewhere else.
    >>
    >> Thanks for any advice that anyone can give.

    > Although I advise agains using the drive...
    > you can go into disk management and delete it...
    > then re-create and format.
    >
    > If that does not do the trick...time to pull it from the machine and forget
    > it

    Philo, c'mon dude, pull the plug and lay down. We all need to do it
    sometimes.

    Rôgêr, Jan 2, 2008
  4. Dave

    philo Guest

    "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    > philo wrote:
    > > "Dave" <> wrote in message
    > >> I just completed the assembly of a new computer, with new memory, two
    > >> new hard disks (h.d.s), etc. I installed XP Home SP2 from my old,
    > >> abandoned machine. I also installed an old h.d. from the abandoned
    > >> machine, and it was pretty clear that this old h.d. had some disk
    > >> errors in it, as I had to abandon a small number (< 5) files on it
    > >> when I copied them to one of the new h.d.s.
    > >>
    > >> In this version of XP i referenced, is there a built-in tool for
    > >> examining the hard disk and marking the bad sectors so they won't be
    > >> written to again, or a free tool (from wherever) that can assess the
    > >> health of this h.d. to see if it is even practical to continue to use
    > >> it? This old h.d. is, in my mind, now unreliable, but I don't plan on
    > >> storing anything critical to it that isn't backed-up somewhere else.
    > >>
    > >> Thanks for any advice that anyone can give.

    > > Although I advise agains using the drive...
    > > you can go into disk management and delete it...
    > > then re-create and format.
    > >
    > > If that does not do the trick...time to pull it from the machine and

    forget
    > > it

    > Philo, c'mon dude, pull the plug and lay down. We all need to do it
    > sometimes.

    Good idea,,,I have not had my nap yet today...

    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

    philo, Jan 3, 2008
  5. Dave

    chuckcar Guest

    Dave <> wrote in

    > I just completed the assembly of a new computer, with new memory, two
    > new hard disks (h.d.s), etc. I installed XP Home SP2 from my old,
    > abandoned machine. I also installed an old h.d. from the abandoned
    > machine, and it was pretty clear that this old h.d. had some disk
    > errors in it, as I had to abandon a small number (< 5) files on it
    > when I copied them to one of the new h.d.s.
    >
    > In this version of XP i referenced, is there a built-in tool for
    > examining the hard disk and marking the bad sectors so they won't be
    > written to again, or a free tool (from wherever) that can assess the
    > health of this h.d. to see if it is even practical to continue to use
    > it? This old h.d. is, in my mind, now unreliable, but I don't plan on
    > storing anything critical to it that isn't backed-up somewhere else.
    >
    > Thanks for any advice that anyone can give.

    If you're talking about an IDE drive, then disk errors are generally the
    first sign of failure. Back up anything you want off that disk fast. You
    might have 6 months or you might have one, but it's dying.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Jan 3, 2008
  6. Dave

    slappy Guest

    "Dave" <> wrote in message
    >I just completed the assembly of a new computer, with new memory, two
    > new hard disks (h.d.s), etc. I installed XP Home SP2 from my old,
    > abandoned machine. I also installed an old h.d. from the abandoned
    > machine, and it was pretty clear that this old h.d. had some disk
    > errors in it, as I had to abandon a small number (< 5) files on it
    > when I copied them to one of the new h.d.s.
    >
    > In this version of XP i referenced, is there a built-in tool for
    > examining the hard disk and marking the bad sectors so they won't be
    > written to again, or a free tool (from wherever) that can assess the
    > health of this h.d. to see if it is even practical to continue to use
    > it? This old h.d. is, in my mind, now unreliable, but I don't plan on
    > storing anything critical to it that isn't backed-up somewhere else.
    >
    > Thanks for any advice that anyone can give.

    In XP use checkdisk (chkdsk.exe)
    Start/Run
    Type: chkdsk
    Hit OK