    up and running.
    Any suggestions?

    Cheers.

    H, Jul 18, 2005

  2. H

    code_wrong Guest

    "H" <> wrote in message
    news:42dc1505$...
    > Hi,
    >
    > Friends Laptop hard disk has become corrupt and will not boot to XP- I
    > have my own XP home edition CDRom which I can boot from and load up
    > recovery console but I thought I'd ask advise before I tried anything. I
    > have a usb hard drive which I can use to transfer data from the laptop
    > drive but I have a feeling that's not going to be supported by recovery
    > console. The laptop also can burn CD's but again I'm not sure this will be
    > possible without XP up and running.
    > Any suggestions?

    this is worth a read:
    http://www.digitalwebcast.com/2002/03_mar/tutorials/cw_boot_toot.htm
    code_wrong, Jul 18, 2005

  3. H

    Dave Lear Guest

    "H" wrote in message news:42dc1505$

    > Friends Laptop hard disk has become corrupt and will not boot to XP
    > - I have my own XP home edition CDRom which I can boot from and
    > load up recovery console but I thought I'd ask advise before I tried
    > anything.
    > I have a usb hard drive which I can use to transfer data from the laptop
    > drive but I have a feeling that's not going to be supported by recovery
    > console. The laptop also can burn CD's but again I'm not sure this will be
    > possible without XP up and running.
    > Any suggestions?

    First one would be to have a read of this...

    How to install and use the Recovery Console in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307654
    Dave Lear, Jul 19, 2005
  4. H

    Ron Martell Guest

    "H" <> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >Friends Laptop hard disk has become corrupt and will not boot to XP- I have
    >my own XP home edition CDRom which I can boot from and load up recovery
    >console but I thought I'd ask advise before I tried anything. I have a usb
    >hard drive which I can use to transfer data from the laptop drive but I have
    >a feeling that's not going to be supported by recovery console. The laptop
    >also can burn CD's but again I'm not sure this will be possible without XP
    >up and running.
    >Any suggestions?

    What sort of error message or other information are you getting that
    tells you for a certainty that it is a corrupt hard disk and not some
    other problem?

    If you are getting an Unmountable_Boot_Volume error (STOP 0x000000ed)
    and if the second parameter value for the STOP code is 0xC0000032 then
    you are correct that there is data corruption on the hard drive. In
    this specific case the correct fix is to boot to the Windows XP
    Recovery Console and then enter the following command:

    CHKDSK C: /R

    That should repair the problem, if the error message is as I
    described.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm
    Ron Martell, Jul 19, 2005
  5. H

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Dave Lear" <> wrote in message
    > "H" wrote in message news:42dc1505$
    >
    >> Friends Laptop hard disk has become corrupt and will not boot to XP
    >> - I have my own XP home edition CDRom which I can boot from and
    >> load up recovery console but I thought I'd ask advise before I tried
    >> anything.
    >> I have a usb hard drive which I can use to transfer data from the laptop
    >> drive but I have a feeling that's not going to be supported by recovery
    >> console. The laptop also can burn CD's but again I'm not sure this will
    >> be
    >> possible without XP up and running.
    >> Any suggestions?

    > First one would be to have a read of this...
    >
    > How to install and use the Recovery Console in Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307654

    If someone is having trouble with a hard drive, it's best *not* to install
    the Recovery Console, but to run it from the XP setup CD.
    Toolman Tim, Jul 20, 2005
  6. H

    Dave Lear Guest

    "Toolman Tim" wrote in message news:QfjDe.1723$

    >> How to install and use the Recovery Console in Windows XP
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307654
    >>

    > If someone is having trouble with a hard drive, it's best *not* to install
    > the Recovery Console, but to run it from the XP setup CD.

    <quote from article I hyperlinked to>

    If you cannot start your computer, you can run the Recovery Console from the
    Microsoft Windows XP startup disks or the Windows XP CD-ROM. This article
    describes how to perform this task.

    </quote from article I hyperlinked to>
    Dave Lear, Jul 20, 2005
  7. "Dave Lear" <> wrote in

    > "Toolman Tim" wrote in message news:QfjDe.1723$
    >
    >>> How to install and use the Recovery Console in Windows XP
    >>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307654
    >>>

    >> If someone is having trouble with a hard drive, it's best *not*
    >> to install the Recovery Console, but to run it from the XP setup
    >> CD.

    > <quote from article I hyperlinked to>
    >
    > If you cannot start your computer, you can run the Recovery
    > Console from the Microsoft Windows XP startup disks or the Windows
    > XP CD-ROM. This article describes how to perform this task.
    >
    > </quote from article I hyperlinked to>

    He just said that.

    Top

    --
    Freedom is never free....
    Top (retired), Jul 20, 2005
  8. H

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Top (retired)" <> wrote in message
    > "Dave Lear" <> wrote in

    >>> If someone is having trouble with a hard drive, it's best *not*
    >>> to install the Recovery Console, but to run it from the XP setup
    >>> CD.

    >> <quote from article I hyperlinked to>
    >>
    >> If you cannot start your computer, you can run the Recovery
    >> Console from the Microsoft Windows XP startup disks or the Windows
    >> XP CD-ROM. This article describes how to perform this task.
    >>
    >> </quote from article I hyperlinked to>
    >>

    > He just said that.

    True. I merely wanted to stress that *installing* the recovery console could
    possibly damage the HD further. Run it from the CD, get the system running,
    *then* install the recovery console.
    Toolman Tim, Jul 21, 2005