    JethroUK© Guest

    Anyone know of a stand alone hard disk recorder that's not linked to any
    particular broadcaster (i.e. just like any video recorder) for around 200 ?

    JethroUK©, Apr 13, 2004

  2. "JethroUK©" <> wrote in message
    news:LaXec.16294$4N3.1722@newsfe1-win...
    > Anyone know of a stand alone hard disk recorder that's not linked to any
    > particular broadcaster (i.e. just like any video recorder) for around 200

    ?

    Tivo is the only flexible solution - get one for less than 200 quid on eBay.

    - Simon.

    Simon Heather, Apr 13, 2004

  3. JethroUK©

    Andy Guest

    JethroUK© wrote:
    > Anyone know of a stand alone hard disk recorder that's not linked to
    > any particular broadcaster (i.e. just like any video recorder) for
    > around 200 ?

    Well, there's batch of Freeview PVRs, made by Pace, Fusion, and Humax. Ok,
    they're tied to Freeview, but there's no sub or minimum contract involved.
    Check http://www.radioandtelly.co.uk/pvr.html for brief details of the
    choices available to you.

    Andy

    Andy, Apr 13, 2004
  4. JethroUK©

    Martin Guest

    Pace Twin from Argos

    Well featured DTTV unit

    Martin, Apr 13, 2004
  5. JethroUK©

    JethroUK© Guest

    "Simon Heather" <> wrote in message
    > "JethroUK©" <> wrote in message
    > > Anyone know of a stand alone hard disk recorder that's not linked to

    any
    > > particular broadcaster (i.e. just like any video recorder) for around

    200
    > ?
    >
    > Tivo is the only flexible solution - get one for less than 200 quid on

    eBay.

    i thought tivo was linked to sky subscription?

    JethroUK©, Apr 13, 2004
  6. i thought tivo was linked to sky subscription?

    Tivo has its own sub of £10 a month or one off payment of £200 - well worth
    it as now almost into my 3rd yr ;-)

    If you already have SKY then it will get the programme info for those
    channels too - but if not then it will just get the norm 1-5 channs.

    Roger the cabin boy, Apr 13, 2004
  7. JethroUK©

    JethroUK© Guest

    "Martin" <> wrote in message news:407c5309@212.67.96.135...
    > Pace Twin from Argos
    >
    > Well featured DTTV unit

    doesn't this only record freeview channels?

    JethroUK©, Apr 13, 2004
  8. JethroUK©

    JethroUK© Guest

    "Roger the cabin boy" <> wrote in message
    > i thought tivo was linked to sky subscription?
    >
    > Tivo has its own sub of £10 a month or one off payment of £200 - well

    worth
    > it as now almost into my 3rd yr ;-)
    >
    > If you already have SKY then it will get the programme info for those
    > channels too - but if not then it will just get the norm 1-5 channs.

    i cant figure out what the subscription (or for that matter the outright
    price) might be for (rental for the machine? - i doubt it) - i dont
    subscribe to my video/dvd recorder, so assume there is 'some link',
    'somewhere' with 'some' tv service that i dont want - i just want a recorder
    (hard drive one) - i'm going to read up about tivo - thanx

    JethroUK©, Apr 13, 2004
  9. JethroUK©

    Andy Guest

    JethroUK© wrote:
    > doesn't this only record freeview channels?

    But that's pretty much all you'd want from a video recorder? If you have
    Sky, go for Sky+. Given the finite amount of storage space, hard drive
    recorders are only really suited for short term storage of stuff you've
    taped off tv. If you want to archive things for a long period of time
    you'll need to archive to either dvd or vid.

    Andy

    Andy, Apr 13, 2004
  10. JethroUK©

    JethroUK© Guest

    "Andy" <> wrote in message
    > JethroUK© wrote:
    > > doesn't this only record freeview channels?

    > But that's pretty much all you'd want from a video recorder? If you have
    > Sky, go for Sky+. Given the finite amount of storage space, hard drive
    > recorders are only really suited for short term storage of stuff you've
    > taped off tv. If you want to archive things for a long period of time
    > you'll need to archive to either dvd or vid.
    >
    > Andy

    i have cable (neither sky or freeview & dont want either) - i just want a
    recorder - seems strange that all hard drive recorders are commited to a
    particular provider (unlike video/dvd recorders)

    JethroUK©, Apr 13, 2004
  11. JethroUK©

    guv Guest

    On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 23:27:46 +0100, "JethroUK©" <>
    wrote:

    >> i thought tivo was linked to sky subscription?
    >>
    >> Tivo has its own sub of £10 a month or one off payment of £200 - well

    >worth
    >> it as now almost into my 3rd yr ;-)
    >>
    >> If you already have SKY then it will get the programme info for those
    >> channels too - but if not then it will just get the norm 1-5 channs.
    >>

    > i cant figure out what the subscription (or for that matter the outright
    >price) might be for (rental for the machine? - i doubt it) - i dont
    >subscribe to my video/dvd recorder, so assume there is 'some link',
    >'somewhere' with 'some' tv service that i dont want - i just want a recorder
    >(hard drive one) - i'm going to read up about tivo - thanx

    The subscription for Tivo (and $ky+ for that matter) is for the TV
    program schedule downloads. You can use it without them (albeit very
    clumsily) but ultimately pointless. Its certainly a bloody nice peice
    of kit. Ive just added another 120gig HD in mine, so storage is never
    going to be a problem. (I think its now 186 hours of basic recording
    time - or 48 hours of highest quality.)

    I would admit I was skepical about coughing up for a lifetime sub of
    £200 - but IMHO its money well spent.

    --

    Marquee Hire at cheap rates from www.37b.co.uk

    guv, Apr 14, 2004
  12. but ultimately pointless. Its certainly a bloody nice peice
    of kit. Ive just added another 120gig HD in mine, so storage is never
    going to be a problem. (I think its now 186 hours of basic recording
    time - or 48 hours of highest quality.)

    I ordered 2 (120 GB) drives thinking they were "separate" drives and so one
    for each Tivo - but they were actually a "pair" and had been configured so.
    Went to install one of them and ruined it all - had to send one back to be
    re-configured. Upon its return i popped BOTH drives into ONE of the
    machines and now have over 80 hrs of Best quality ;-)
    Only downside was I then needed "another" drive for the second Tivo so
    ordered another 120GB drive ;-) which now acts as a "bedroom machine" with
    its limited ;-) capacity LOL

    Must add on a personal note Pacelink were BRILLIANT with their customer
    service and speed and I highly recommend them if u are after a drive.

    Roger the cabin boy, Apr 14, 2004
  13. JethroUK©

    JethroUK© Guest

    "..The subscription for Tivo (and $ky+ for that matter) is for the TV
    program schedule downloads. You can use it without them .."

    i suspected something like that - i have cable & like i say, i just want an
    independant recorder - must be one out there somewhere :eek:)

    JethroUK©, Apr 14, 2004
  14. JethroUK©

    Iain Miller Guest

    Ive just added another 120gig HD in mine, so storage is never
    > going to be a problem. (I think its now 186 hours of basic recording
    > time - or 48 hours of highest quality.)

    Small one then (!) :)

    I.

    (Who's Tivo has 2x120Gb disks - 286 hrs basic, 82 hours best - its the best
    piece of kit I own!)

    Iain Miller, Apr 14, 2004
  15. JethroUK©

    Gary Guest

    "JethroUK©" <> wrote in message

    > "Andy" <> wrote in message
    > > JethroUK© wrote:
    > > > doesn't this only record freeview channels?

    > > But that's pretty much all you'd want from a video recorder? If you

    have
    > > Sky, go for Sky+. Given the finite amount of storage space, hard drive
    > > recorders are only really suited for short term storage of stuff you've
    > > taped off tv. If you want to archive things for a long period of time
    > > you'll need to archive to either dvd or vid.
    > >
    > > Andy
    > >

    > i have cable (neither sky or freeview & dont want either) - i just want a
    > recorder - seems strange that all hard drive recorders are commited to a
    > particular provider (unlike video/dvd recorders)

    Tivo will do cable also.

    Gary, Apr 14, 2004
  16. JethroUK©

    GF Guest

    On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 20:24:56 +0100, "JethroUK©" <>
    wrote:

    >Anyone know of a stand alone hard disk recorder that's not linked to any
    >particular broadcaster (i.e. just like any video recorder) for around 200 ?

    Panasonic is making combination DVD/Hard Drive recorders. They set up
    just like a VCR but will record to HD or DVD instead of tape. Not sure
    if the UK has them but they are going for around $500 US. You can do
    some light editing on them and dub to DVD.

    Here's a link:
    http://www2.butterflyphoto.com/shop/product.aspx?ref=cnet&sku=DMR-E80H

    GF, Apr 14, 2004
  17. JethroUK©

    Tricky Dicky Guest

    "Gary" <> wrote in message

    > "JethroUK©" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Andy" <> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > But that's pretty much all you'd want from a video recorder? If you

    > have
    > > > Sky, go for Sky+. Given the finite amount of storage space, hard

    drive
    > > > recorders are only really suited for short term storage of stuff

    you've
    > > > taped off tv. If you want to archive things for a long period of time
    > > > you'll need to archive to either dvd or vid.
    > > >
    > > > Andy
    > > >

    > > i have cable (neither sky or freeview & dont want either) - i just want

    > > recorder - seems strange that all hard drive recorders are commited to a
    > > particular provider (unlike video/dvd recorders)
    > >

    > Tivo will do cable also.

    Is there not a machine manufactured by Kiss that is just a very bog standard
    HD recorder but with DivX capability?

    Tricky

    Tricky Dicky, Apr 14, 2004
  18. JethroUK©

    Nigel Barker Guest

    On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 21:59:13 +0100, "Roger the cabin boy"
    <> wrote:

    >i thought tivo was linked to sky subscription?
    >
    >Tivo has its own sub of £10 a month or one off payment of £200 - well worth
    >it as now almost into my 3rd yr ;-)
    >
    >If you already have SKY then it will get the programme info for those
    >channels too - but if not then it will just get the norm 1-5 channs.

    What about the twenty odd that you get on Freeview? Does Tivo support DVB-T?

    --
    Nigel Barker
    Live from the sunny Cote d'Azur

    Nigel Barker, Apr 14, 2004
  19. JethroUK©

    Nigel Barker Guest

    On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 00:09:59 +0100, guv <> wrote:

    >The subscription for Tivo (and $ky+ for that matter) is for the TV
    >program schedule downloads. You can use it without them (albeit very

    All Sky subscribers have access to the Electronic Programme Guide. In fact all
    users of a BSkyB digibox have access to the EPG whether they are subscribers or
    not. With Sky+ what you pay for is the ability to record to disk.

    Nigel Barker, Apr 14, 2004
  20. JethroUK©

    Nigel Barker Guest

    On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 02:29:28 +0100, "Gary" <>
    wrote:

    >Tivo will do cable also.

    Great but they have all but pulled out of the UK market. They will sell you a
    subscription but you can't buy a new machine. A shame as the ones that they have
    in the US are really neat, lots of choice for different programme providers too.
    There is one that is like a Sky+ but with a DVD recorder for archiving plus you
    get the far more intelligent software on the Tivo vs. Sky+

    Nigel Barker, Apr 14, 2004