Hard Disk Problem

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Global_Killa, Feb 19, 2005.

  1. Global_Killa

    Global_Killa Guest

    Hey all,
    I've got a problem with a Maxtor 200GB hard disk. I use the disk as my
    backup drive and took it round to a friends so he could backup his stuff.
    After he had put all of the data that he needed backing up onto the hard
    disk, we wanted to use some of the data that I had already put on the hard
    disk but we got an "Access Denied" message. I thought that this could of
    been because I use a password on my computer at home. So we formatted his
    hard disk and installed Windows XP again.

    When we plugged the backup hard disk back in, and booted up. Before Windows
    had finished loading it started running a program on the backup hard disk,
    saying that it was deleting orphan files and something about recovery. The
    file names that where scrolling up the screen where the files we couldn't
    get into the first time.
    I think it might of said something about indexing, but things where
    scrolling up the screen too fast.
    At the end it said something about a security check.

    Once Windows had loaded, we could get access to everything on the hard disk.
    But then when we went to copy all of the backed up data back across, we
    noticed that everything was corrupted. The file sizes are what they should
    be, but nothing works apart from the odd few pictures.

    It's also happened to some of the files that where already on the hard disk.

    The only things we can think of is that we either gave the hard disk a
    static shock at some point or the program that Windows ran did something to
    the data.

    Anyone got any thoughts on what the problem could be? Any help appreciated.

    Thanks for any advice,

    --
    Global_Killa
    Global_Killa, Feb 19, 2005

  2. Global_Killa

    JTJersey Guest

    Is this a portable hard drive or are you attaching it to your buddies
    system in a Master/Slave comination?

    --
    Registered Linux User #267152
    JTJersey, Feb 19, 2005

  3. Global_Killa

    Global_Killa Guest

    "JTJersey" <> wrote in message

    > Is this a portable hard drive or are you attaching it to your buddies
    > system in a Master/Slave comination?
    >
    > --
    > Registered Linux User #267152

    The hard disk was set as a slave, and connects via IDE cable. For some
    reason when I installed XP on my system, it put this drive (slave) to drive
    letter 'C' and my master to drive letter 'D'. The jumper settings are
    correct on both drives, and the order that they are connected on the IDE
    cable. They also show up correct in the BIOS.

    When connected to my friends computer, the disk is still set to a slave and
    his a master. The slave shows up as drive letter 'D' and the master drive
    letter 'C'.

    --
    Global_Killa
    Global_Killa, Feb 19, 2005
  4. Global_Killa

    JTJersey Guest

    On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 20:59:21 +0000, Global_Killa wrote:

    > The hard disk was set as a slave, and connects via IDE cable. For some
    > reason when I installed XP on my system, it put this drive (slave) to
    > drive letter 'C' and my master to drive letter 'D'. The jumper settings
    > are correct on both drives, and the order that they are connected on the
    > IDE cable. They also show up correct in the BIOS.
    >
    > When connected to my friends computer, the disk is still set to a slave
    > and his a master. The slave shows up as drive letter 'D' and the master
    > drive letter 'C'.

    Is this a bootable drive? That is, does it have an operating system
    installed on it or is it simply a formatted drive that your using to store
    files on?

    --
    Registered Linux User #267152
    JTJersey, Feb 19, 2005
  5. Global_Killa

    Global_Killa Guest

    "JTJersey" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 20:59:21 +0000, Global_Killa wrote:
    >
    >> The hard disk was set as a slave, and connects via IDE cable. For some
    >> reason when I installed XP on my system, it put this drive (slave) to
    >> drive letter 'C' and my master to drive letter 'D'. The jumper settings
    >> are correct on both drives, and the order that they are connected on the
    >> IDE cable. They also show up correct in the BIOS.
    >>
    >> When connected to my friends computer, the disk is still set to a slave
    >> and his a master. The slave shows up as drive letter 'D' and the master
    >> drive letter 'C'.

    > Is this a bootable drive? That is, does it have an operating system
    > installed on it or is it simply a formatted drive that your using to store
    > files on?
    >
    > --
    > Registered Linux User #267152

    The hard disk is only used to store data, no os installed.

    --
    Global_Killa
    Global_Killa, Feb 19, 2005
  6. Global_Killa

    JTJersey Guest

    On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 23:40:20 +0000, Global_Killa wrote:

    > The hard disk is only used to store data, no os installed.

    Let me take this back a bit. Assuming both you and your friend are using
    WinXP and that the Maxtor 200gig hdd is only a blank disk used for
    backups, that makes it no more than a very large floppy disk. Unless
    you've encrypted the drive there should be no issue with access regardless
    of where you plug it in. (You could plug it into my Linux machine and I'd
    be able to see the files, pictures or whatever.) In that regard I'm
    having trouble understanding why you formatted and reinstalled Windows on
    your friends machine because a back up drive wasn't working right. This
    doesn't sound like a virus/trojan problem, but possibly a hard drive with
    mechanical issues. Try downloading "Max Blast" from the Maxtor web site
    and do a full check of the drive in case it's failing. Wish I could have
    been of more help. Good luck.
    --
    Registered Linux User #267152
    JTJersey, Feb 20, 2005
  7. Global_Killa

    Trent© Guest

    <> wrote:

    >"JTJersey" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Is this a portable hard drive or are you attaching it to your buddies
    >> system in a Master/Slave comination?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Registered Linux User #267152

    >The hard disk was set as a slave, and connects via IDE cable. For some
    >reason when I installed XP on my system, it put this drive (slave) to drive
    >letter 'C' and my master to drive letter 'D'. The jumper settings are
    >correct on both drives, and the order that they are connected on the IDE
    >cable. They also show up correct in the BIOS.
    >
    >When connected to my friends computer, the disk is still set to a slave and
    >his a master. The slave shows up as drive letter 'D' and the master drive
    >letter 'C'.

    So...you put both drives on the same controller?

    Have a nice one...

    Trent©

    Trent©, Feb 20, 2005