    don't have one anyway) and much less likely to get damaged or stolen while
    in transit.

    Rob
    Rob Graham, Nov 17, 2005

  2. Rob Graham

    Pete D Guest

    Do a search on "Vosonic" http://www.vosonic.com/

    Pete D, Nov 17, 2005

  3. "Rob Graham" <> wrote:
    > Has anyone used one of these IPOD like thingies that is a card reader with
    > hard disk in it. Seems such a good idea for downloading and clearing a
    > card
    > while on the move - much less of a hassle than lugging a laptop around (I
    > don't have one anyway) and much less likely to get damaged or stolen while
    > in transit.

    The Epson P-2000 (which I own) and P-4000 (bigger disk) are very nice but
    very pricey. The screen is sharp and contrasty. Nice a lot of the time, but
    for outdoor (i.e. high-contrast) shots, the shadows go black really quickly,
    even when there's plenty of detail in the file. The Epson doesn't allow you
    to zoom in on RAW files, only jpegs. Sigh.

    They don't clear the card, though. You'll have to do that in the camera.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan
    David J. Littleboy, Nov 17, 2005
  4. Rob Graham wrote:
    > Has anyone used one of these IPOD like thingies that is a card reader with a
    > hard disk in it. Seems such a good idea for downloading and clearing a card
    > while on the move - much less of a hassle than lugging a laptop around (I
    > don't have one anyway) and much less likely to get damaged or stolen while
    > in transit.
    >
    > Rob

    I have the Vosonic VP300 and I would rate it as just about "ok". The
    main crib is its battery life which isn't too great with the built-in
    Li-Ion. My unit's battery died soon after arrival and I have been using
    it mostly on AC since then although I've built a 8AA battery pack for
    it. Purely for photo archival, this looks better to me:
    http://hyperdrive.com/shop/index.php

    At $149 for just the casing, the hyperdrive is a bit expensive but the
    good thing is that it doesn't require an external battery pack like so
    many other OTG USB drives and the hyperdrive has a built-in 3 hour
    charger for 2500mah NiMH batteries. Put in another $50-$80 for a
    40-80GB drive and you are all set to go. 80GB of backup on one battery
    charge, as claimed, should let you flush that 1GB card 80 times!!!
    Thats VERY useful and efficient in my books.

    Hope this helps,

    - Siddhartha
    Siddhartha Jain, Nov 17, 2005
  5. Rob Graham wrote:
    > Has anyone used one of these IPOD like thingies that is a card reader
    > with a hard disk in it. Seems such a good idea for downloading and
    > clearing a card while on the move - much less of a hassle than
    > lugging a laptop around (I don't have one anyway) and much less
    > likely to get damaged or stolen while in transit.
    >
    > Rob

    I have the Epson P-2000 and have been very pleased with it. It would be
    nice if it were a little quicker, and if you could re-organise images in a
    slide-show, but these are minor criticisms. The basic storage and card
    download function works well.

    David
    David J Taylor, Nov 17, 2005
  6. Rob Graham

    JB Guest

    On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 17:48:34 +0900, "David J. Littleboy"
    <> wrote:

    >"Rob Graham" <> wrote:
    >> Has anyone used one of these IPOD like thingies that is a card reader with
    >> hard disk in it. Seems such a good idea for downloading and clearing a
    >> card
    >> while on the move - much less of a hassle than lugging a laptop around (I
    >> don't have one anyway) and much less likely to get damaged or stolen while
    >> in transit.

    >The Epson P-2000 (which I own) and P-4000 (bigger disk) are very nice but
    >very pricey. The screen is sharp and contrasty. Nice a lot of the time, but
    >for outdoor (i.e. high-contrast) shots, the shadows go black really quickly,
    >even when there's plenty of detail in the file. The Epson doesn't allow you
    >to zoom in on RAW files, only jpegs. Sigh.
    >
    >They don't clear the card, though. You'll have to do that in the camera.

    The P-2000 has a configuration option to clear the card after
    download.

    /JB
    --
    jbjb AT uk2 DOT net
    JB, Nov 17, 2005
  7. On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 08:34:07 -0000, in rec.photo.digital "Rob Graham"
    <> wrote:

    >Has anyone used one of these IPOD like thingies that is a card reader with a
    >hard disk in it. Seems such a good idea for downloading and clearing a card
    >while on the move - much less of a hassle than lugging a laptop around (I
    >don't have one anyway) and much less likely to get damaged or stolen while
    >in transit.

    I have an Archos Gmini 220 20 GB MP3 player with a CF card reader.
    --
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
    Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!), Nov 17, 2005
  8. Rob Graham

    Jim A Guest

    I have been using a Smartdisk Flashtrax for 3 years and am very pleased
    with it although having seen the Epson I think it has a better display.

    Jim A, Nov 17, 2005
  9. Rob Graham

    Mark² Guest

    Jim A wrote:
    > I have been using a Smartdisk Flashtrax for 3 years and am very
    > pleased with it although having seen the Epson I think it has a
    > better display. Rob Graham wrote:
    >> Has anyone used one of these IPOD like thingies that is a card
    >> reader with a hard disk in it. Seems such a good idea for
    >> downloading and clearing a card while on the move - much less of a
    >> hassle than lugging a laptop around (I don't have one anyway) and
    >> much less likely to get damaged or stolen while in transit.
    >>
    >> Rob

    I have both (the Flashtrax and the P-2000).
    Between the two, there is absolutely NO comparison, save for the hard-disk
    size...which isn't too far different.
    The P-2000 is simply in an entirely different league.
    The most amazing aspect is the screen. You will NEVER see a better looking
    screen on any device of any size. They've squeezed a full 640x480 VGA
    screen into a small space, and the resulting images are truly stunning. The
    screen on my equally expensive Flashtrax is a blocky joke by comparison.

    I highly...HIGHLY...recommend the Epson. Had the 80GB version been out
    sooner, I'd have bought it, but my 40GB is more than adequate.

    Fantastic device, and worth the price.

    -Mark
    Mark², Nov 17, 2005
  10. "JB" <> wrote:
    > "David J. Littleboy" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>They don't clear the card, though. You'll have to do that in the camera.

    > The P-2000 has a configuration option to clear the card after
    > download.

    Oops. Time to RTFM...

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan
    David J. Littleboy, Nov 17, 2005
  11. Jim A <> wrote:
    : I have been using a Smartdisk Flashtrax for 3 years and am very pleased
    : with it although having seen the Epson I think it has a better display.

    Having a good display is definately something to concider. Once the images
    have been copied from the memory card to the HD you will want to check
    that they have all transferred correctly (even spot checking is good)
    BEFORE you erase the memory card for reuse. Nothing feels worse than to
    make the copy and erase the card only to find later that the transfer had
    a problem and you lost the entire "roll". So the better the display the
    better. IMHO

    Randy

    ==========
    Randy Berbaum
    Champaign, IL
    Randy Berbaum, Nov 17, 2005
  12. Rob Graham

    jb Guest

    > Do a search on "Vosonic" http://www.vosonic.com/

    I have one and second the notion. They're strictly one-function
    devices, though some versions do more and not very well.
    jb, Nov 17, 2005
  13. Rob Graham

    Lorem Ipsum Guest

    "jb" <> wrote in message

    >> Do a search on "Vosonic" http://www.vosonic.com/

    > I have one and second the notion. They're strictly one-function devices,
    > though some versions do more and not very well.

    Which one would you recommend, jb?
    Lorem Ipsum, Nov 17, 2005
  14. Rob Graham

    jb Guest

    > Which one would you recommend, jb?

    The 2160. Buy a hard disk from another vendor.
    jb, Nov 17, 2005
  15. Rob Graham

    gambo1953 Guest

    Rob Graham wrote:
    > Has anyone used one of these IPOD like thingies that is a card reader with a
    > hard disk in it. Seems such a good idea for downloading and clearing a card
    > while on the move - much less of a hassle than lugging a laptop around (I
    > don't have one anyway) and much less likely to get damaged or stolen while
    > in transit.
    >
    > Rob

    I have successfully used the X-Drive, but in reality I have continued to
    add Compact Flash cards to my kit and have not used it in a
    year....However, it does work as advertised...a little slower than I
    would like but that became irrelevant when I added a second capable card
    to use while the first was downloading...
    gambo1953, Nov 17, 2005
  16. Rob Graham

    Pete D Guest

    "jb" <> wrote in message

    >> Which one would you recommend, jb?
    >>

    > The 2160. Buy a hard disk from another vendor.

    I have a 3310 and am happy with it, very good bang for the buck, a friend
    has a 6230 and they are very good although there is some compatibility
    issues with some file types, mind you they are updating the firmwhere all
    the time so it's all good.

    I also know several people that have earlier ones and have bought them from
    www.powerinnumbers.com.au at good prices.
    Pete D, Nov 18, 2005
  17. Rob Graham

    Steven Wandy Guest

    > The P-2000 has a configuration option to clear the card after
    > download.

    I have been seriously considering one of these, but don't I read all the
    time
    to allow the camera to erase/format the cards to avoid any possible problems
    with the camera actually reading/writing to the card?
    Steven Wandy, Nov 18, 2005
  18. "Rob Graham" <> writes:

    > Has anyone used one of these IPOD like thingies that is a card reader with a
    > hard disk in it. Seems such a good idea for downloading and clearing a card
    > while on the move - much less of a hassle than lugging a laptop around (I
    > don't have one anyway) and much less likely to get damaged or stolen while
    > in transit.

    I use a CompactDrive PD6A when I'm expecting to be out shooting for awhile,
    keeping it in my camera bag. When I'm on vacation, I use both the CompactDrive
    and a laptop, copying the cards to the CompactDrive during the day, and then
    copying the CompactDrive to the laptop at night. I don't delete data on the
    CompactDrive until I have fully processed all of the pictures and uploaded
    them. This way the data is in two places (cards + CompactDrive during the day,
    and CompactDrive and laptop at night). While I worry about reliability, having
    the data in two places also means if I accidently delete the files when using
    them on the laptop, I still have a copy of them. Note, my first portable
    storage device, I did knock it off the able, and had the disk drive fail, so
    you do have to worry about that.

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email:
    Michael Meissner, Nov 19, 2005
  19. Steven Wandy wrote:
    >> The P-2000 has a configuration option to clear the card after
    >> download.
    >>

    > I have been seriously considering one of these, but don't I read all
    > the time
    > to allow the camera to erase/format the cards to avoid any possible
    > problems with the camera actually reading/writing to the card?

    Could you please re-phrase your comment or question as I am having
    difficulty understanding just what you mean!
    David J Taylor, Nov 20, 2005
  20. On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 18:44:49 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "Steven Wandy"
    <> wrote:

    >> The P-2000 has a configuration option to clear the card after
    >> download.
    >>

    >I have been seriously considering one of these, but don't I read all the
    >time
    >to allow the camera to erase/format the cards to avoid any possible problems
    >with the camera actually reading/writing to the card?

    That would be formatting the card in the camera is generally recommended.
    Shouldn't be an issue moving or deleting files or those of us using card
    readers would be having all sorts of issues, and we don't.
    Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!), Nov 20, 2005