    so, anyways, any suggestions? i mean, surely there has to be a way to
    backup data off of an OEM hard drive without booting off of that hard
    drive?
    yawnmoth, Dec 17, 2003

  2. yawnmoth wrote:
    > i'm running Windows XP SP1a, have a USB2.0 HDD enclosure hooked up
    > into a USB1.1 port, and am having problems reading certain hard
    > drives. specifically, when i insert OEM hard drives, from IBM laptops
    > (i've tried two), the hard drive is simply not recognized. It doesn't
    > show up in Disk Manager, so... even if i wanted to do what seems to
    > be the common suggestion (ie. reformat), i couldn't, because Windows
    > doesn't even see a hard drive for me to format. of course, that said,
    > i *don't* want to reformat, anyways. i want to backup data.
    >
    > also, i *know* my USB2.0 HDD enclosure works, with the given setup,
    > because it works with non-OEM hard drives (although i haven't tried
    > any non-OEM hard drives that weren't formated, before i inserted them
    > in there).
    >
    > so, anyways, any suggestions? i mean, surely there has to be a way to
    > backup data off of an OEM hard drive without booting off of that hard
    > drive?

    Without looking I'd say that the most likely problem is that the jumper
    setting is incorrect on the drive. I know that many OEM's have started
    using cable select vs. master/slave-I'm not sure how this would affect a
    drive connected via USB.
    Calvin Crumrine, Dec 17, 2003

  3. yawnmoth

    yawnmoth Guest

    On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 10:07:55 -0900, Calvin Crumrine
    <> wrote:

    >yawnmoth wrote:

    <snip>
    >Without looking I'd say that the most likely problem is that the jumper
    >setting is incorrect on the drive. I know that many OEM's have started
    >using cable select vs. master/slave-I'm not sure how this would affect a
    >drive connected via USB.

    that wound up being the problem. i'm now using cable select.
    however, the jumper that i'm using is kinda big and in fact the only
    way that i can use it is to have the hard drive not fully connected to
    the pins... ah well.

    anyways, thanks for the tip! :)
    yawnmoth, Dec 18, 2003