    I have been received "Hard Disk Full" messages, and some programs have
    crashed because it stopped them writing or reading.
    Can anyone advise on what to do?

    vistaashley, Jul 22, 2007

  2. vistaashley

    nospam Guest

    In article <>,
    vistaashley <> wrote:

    > Hi, I have a 10 Gig drive for C with 5Gb of space left, but just now,
    > I have been received "Hard Disk Full" messages, and some programs have
    > crashed because it stopped them writing or reading.
    > Can anyone advise on what to do?

    delete some files and/or get a bigger hard drive.

    nospam, Jul 22, 2007

  3. vistaashley wrote:
    > Hi, I have a 10 Gig drive for C with 5Gb of space left, but just now,
    > I have been received "Hard Disk Full" messages, and some programs have
    > crashed because it stopped them writing or reading.
    > Can anyone advise on what to do?

    Change your font to something we can all read.

    Dennis Pogson, Jul 22, 2007
  4. vistaashley

    N Guest

    "Dennis Pogson" <> wrote in message

    > Change your font to something we can all read.

    Change your reading font to something YOU can read.

    N, Jul 22, 2007
  5. vistaashley

    Ron Hunter Guest

    vistaashley wrote:
    > Hi, I have a 10 Gig drive for C with 5Gb of space left, but just now,
    > I have been received "Hard Disk Full" messages, and some programs have
    > crashed because it stopped them writing or reading.
    > Can anyone advise on what to do?

    First, today's computers require a LOT of HD storage, and those are VERY
    small partitions by today's standards. For instance, most current OSs
    require more than that just for the OS, and then there is a swapfile,
    and some storage set aside for an OS 'scratchpad', and backup areas.
    You could also defrag the HD and see if that helps.

    Ron Hunter, Jul 22, 2007
  6. vistaashley <> wrote:

    Hi, I have a 10 Gig drive for C with 5Gb of space left, but just now,
    I have been received "Hard Disk Full" messages, and some programs have
    crashed because it stopped them writing or reading.
    Can anyone advise on what to do?

    Hi Vistaashley:

    Some hard drives are partitioned so that you can run two operating systems.
    Your hard drive may be partitioned. Look up on the web how to see
    if it is partitioned, and how to remove the partition. I think you can
    go to "My Computer", and right click on C:, then click on properties
    to see if there is a partition. You may also be able check it by clicking
    on "Control Panel", click the "System" icon, then the "Hardware" tab, and
    then "Device Manager". Check properties on your C:.

    --

    SeeYaa:) Harbin Osteen KG6URO

    When American Citizens with dual citizenship pledges allegiance
    to the flag, to which flag do they pledge allegiance too?

    This is YOUR Future:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7WJeqxuOfQ
    -

    Harbin Osteen, Jul 22, 2007
  7. vistaashley

    ASAAR Guest

    On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 03:40:01 -0500, Ron Hunter wrote:

    > First, today's computers require a LOT of HD storage, and those are VERY
    > small partitions by today's standards. For instance, most current OSs
    > require more than that just for the OS, and then there is a swapfile,
    > and some storage set aside for an OS 'scratchpad', and backup areas.
    > You could also defrag the HD and see if that helps.

    And check the hard drive, since it may have several "temp" folders
    (many apps create their own), each containing gigabytes of files
    that for one reason or another were never deleted and no serve no
    purpose other than to waste hard drive space.

    ASAAR, Jul 22, 2007
  8. vistaashley wrote:
    > Hi, I have a 10 Gig drive for C with 5Gb of space left, but just now,

    I suppose you meant 5 GB rather than 5 Gb?

    > I have been received "Hard Disk Full" messages, and some programs have
    > crashed because it stopped them writing or reading.
    > Can anyone advise on what to do?

    Quite difficult without more information.
    As someone else suggested maybe your HD is partitioned into two partitions.
    Or which file system are you using? FAT is known to have a limit for the
    maximum number of files in the root directory.
    Or run a file system check and a defrag.
    You could also have cought a virus.
    Or, or, or, ...

    jue

    J¨¹rgen Exner, Jul 22, 2007
  9. Dennis Pogson wrote:
    > vistaashley wrote:
    >> Hi, I have a 10 Gig drive for C with 5Gb of space left, but just now,
    >> I have been received "Hard Disk Full" messages, and some programs
    >> have crashed because it stopped them writing or reading.
    >> Can anyone advise on what to do?

    > Change your font to something we can all read.

    Why? The font he uses on his computer has nothing to do with how anyone else
    will see his posting.
    After all he (correctly!) posted "Content-Type: text/plain" and thus his
    posting didn't even contain any font information or settings.

    jue

    Jürgen Exner, Jul 22, 2007
  10. vistaashley

    Roy G Guest

    "vistaashley" <> wrote in message
    > Hi, I have a 10 Gig drive for C with 5Gb of space left, but just now,
    > I have been received "Hard Disk Full" messages, and some programs have
    > crashed because it stopped them writing or reading.
    > Can anyone advise on what to do?

    There really only is one sensible answer, and that is to go and buy yourself
    a new HDD.

    A 10 Gig HDD is far too small, even the cheapest of Laptops available today
    have at least 40 Gig.

    If you are using the machine for Digital Photography, then even a 300 Gig
    would not be too large.

    Roy G

    Roy G, Jul 22, 2007
  11. vistaashley

    Stewy Guest

    In article <>,
    vistaashley <> wrote:

    > Hi, I have a 10 Gig drive for C with 5Gb of space left, but just now,
    > I have been received "Hard Disk Full" messages, and some programs have
    > crashed because it stopped them writing or reading.
    > Can anyone advise on what to do?

    The computer may be committing some of that capacity to virtual memory
    especially if you haven't enough RAM. Windows (I'm assuming that) allows
    apps to bleed RAM and the more programs you have, the less free RAM you
    have.
    If you have a spare RAM slot, I'd suggest upgrading and also buying an
    external drive - 160gb seems to be a lot cheaper these days - here in pricey Japan they cost
    around $150.

    Stewy, Jul 22, 2007
  12. vistaashley

    jmc Guest

    Suddenly, without warning, Roy G exclaimed (7/22/2007 8:23 PM):
    > "vistaashley" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi, I have a 10 Gig drive for C with 5Gb of space left, but just now,
    >> I have been received "Hard Disk Full" messages, and some programs have
    >> crashed because it stopped them writing or reading.
    >> Can anyone advise on what to do?
    >>

    > There really only is one sensible answer, and that is to go and buy yourself
    > a new HDD.
    >
    > A 10 Gig HDD is far too small, even the cheapest of Laptops available today
    > have at least 40 Gig.
    >
    > If you are using the machine for Digital Photography, then even a 300 Gig
    > would not be too large.
    >
    > Roy G

    What he said. I have 207GB of photos currently. Egads!

    As far as 5GB of space left, are you sure? And are you sure it's the C:
    drive that's full? If your drive is partitioned, and either your apps
    are on a different drive than C:, or whatever app is complaining is not
    on C:, it could be a completely different partition that's running out
    of space.

    At any rate 10GB is too small unless the only thing on C: is your
    operating system. XP takes up 9.76GB on my C: partition (only thing
    there), with 2.75GB free (hmmm... worrisome), and I'm receiving no errors.

    And I thought my hubby had the smallest HD around. He recently swapped
    out the old 13.5GB drive for my (very) old, relatively huge 40Gb drive.

    Me? I have just under 1.5TB of storage, half in and half out of the case.

    jmc

    jmc, Jul 22, 2007
  13. vistaashley

    Allen Guest

    vistaashley wrote:
    > Hi, I have a 10 Gig drive for C with 5Gb of space left, but just now,
    > I have been received "Hard Disk Full" messages, and some programs have
    > crashed because it stopped them writing or reading.
    > Can anyone advise on what to do?

    First, are you using a PC or a Mac? Either one should have a program to
    clean out temporary files, etc. Use Help to find out how to do that.

    Second, if a PC, what operating system: Windows 98, XP or Vista? (I know
    nothing about Macs. I would think that it must be Win98 or older or you
    probably couldn't have gotten the newer ones to run at all.

    Third, do you have USB capability? If so, external disc drives are very
    cheap. As for internal discs, it is possible that the BIOS in that box
    will not support an internal drive bigger than the one you have.

    No matter what the answers to these questions are, you will have
    constant trouble in today's world with that tiny (by today's standards)
    disc. At one time that would have been a huge disc; th first hard discs
    for the PC were only _one thousandth_ that big, but, as they say, that
    was then, this is now.
    Good luck.
    Allen

    Allen, Jul 22, 2007
  14. "vistaashley" <> wrote in message
    > Hi, I have a 10 Gig drive for C with 5Gb of space left, but just now,
    > I have been received "Hard Disk Full" messages, and some programs have
    > crashed because it stopped them writing or reading.
    > Can anyone advise on what to do?

    I'm not surprised with such a microscopically small hard drive.
    Mike.

    Mike Cawood, HND BIT, Jul 22, 2007
  15. vistaashley

    Victek Guest

    > Hi, I have a 10 Gig drive for C with 5Gb of space left, but just now,
    > I have been received "Hard Disk Full" messages, and some programs have
    > crashed because it stopped them writing or reading.
    > Can anyone advise on what to do?

    What OS are you using? Assuming you are running Windows you can:

    1) Run the Disk Cleanup utility to delete unnecessary files.
    2) Delete all security update folders from C:\Windows
    3) Defrag the hard disk

    As others have already mentioned, you may also want to think about getting a
    larger hard drive, as 10 gig won't go far if you're taking/storing digital
    photos.

    Victek, Jul 22, 2007
  16. vistaashley

    Dave Cohen Guest

    Allen wrote:
    > vistaashley wrote:
    >> Hi, I have a 10 Gig drive for C with 5Gb of space left, but just now,
    >> I have been received "Hard Disk Full" messages, and some programs have
    >> crashed because it stopped them writing or reading.
    >> Can anyone advise on what to do?
    >>

    > First, are you using a PC or a Mac? Either one should have a program to
    > clean out temporary files, etc. Use Help to find out how to do that.
    >
    > Second, if a PC, what operating system: Windows 98, XP or Vista? (I know
    > nothing about Macs. I would think that it must be Win98 or older or you
    > probably couldn't have gotten the newer ones to run at all.
    >
    > Third, do you have USB capability? If so, external disc drives are very
    > cheap. As for internal discs, it is possible that the BIOS in that box
    > will not support an internal drive bigger than the one you have.
    >
    > No matter what the answers to these questions are, you will have
    > constant trouble in today's world with that tiny (by today's standards)
    > disc. At one time that would have been a huge disc; th first hard discs
    > for the PC were only _one thousandth_ that big, but, as they say, that
    > was then, this is now.
    > Good luck.
    > Allen

    Congratulations Allen, as first responder to ask what the hell the op is
    running you get the award of the week. Judging by the wording of the
    post it doesn't sound like the drive is partitioned. Machines don't
    normally come partitioned over and above small system recovery stuff
    that Dell and Compaq but hopefully not too many others burden us with.
    So if it was partitioned he would have created the partition and if he
    knows enough to do that we wouldn't be seeing the post.
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, Jul 22, 2007
  17. ¦¯ "vistaashley" <> ?¦Ã¦Ñ¦Á¦×¦Å ¦Ò¦Ó¦Ï ¦Ì?¦Í¦Ô¦Ì¦Á
    > Hi, I have a 10 Gig drive for C with 5Gb of space left, but just now,
    > I have been received "Hard Disk Full" messages, and some programs have
    > crashed because it stopped them writing or reading.
    > Can anyone advise on what to do?

    encoding:Simplified chinese GB2312
    So, our chinese friend...

    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios, Jul 22, 2007
  18. vistaashley

    AnyOldMouse Guest

    In article <nAFoi.5589$Nf4.4858@trndny08>,
    "Jürgen Exner" <> wrote:

    > After all he (correctly!) posted "Content-Type: text/plain" and thus his
    > posting didn't even contain any font information or settings.

    In his headers

    charset is a specification of font. He probably is unaware of it.
    --
    anonymous

    AnyOldMouse, Jul 22, 2007
  19. AnyOldMouse wrote:
    > In article <nAFoi.5589$Nf4.4858@trndny08>,
    > "Jürgen Exner" <> wrote:
    >
    >> After all he (correctly!) posted "Content-Type: text/plain" and thus
    >> his posting didn't even contain any font information or settings.

    > In his headers

    > charset is a specification of font. He probably is unaware of it.

    No, it is not. As its name suggests it is a specification of the character
    set aka encoding.
    It has absolutely nothing to do with fonts.

    Fonts would be e.g. Arial or Times Roman or Verdana or ....

    jue

    Jürgen Exner, Jul 23, 2007
  20. vistaashley

    ASAAR Guest

    On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 23:54:44 GMT, Jürgen Exner wrote:

    >> charset is a specification of font. He probably is unaware of it.

    > No, it is not. As its name suggests it is a specification of the character
    > set aka encoding.
    > It has absolutely nothing to do with fonts.
    >
    > Fonts would be e.g. Arial or Times Roman or Verdana or ....

    Yes, sort of. Arial and Times Roman and Verdana are typefaces,
    and fonts refer typefaces having a specific size and style. So 12
    point Arial italic is one font, and 7 point Arial bold is another
    font. See :

    http://www.techterms.com/definition/typeface
    http://www.techterms.com/definition/font

    ASAAR, Jul 23, 2007