Hard Disk Drive Problem

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by rfdjr1@optonline.net, Feb 14, 2004.

  1. Guest

    I lost my hard drive the other night. It's a Western Digital 80Gb
    drive partitioned into four equal parts. I tried to install it as a
    slave drive into a new system so I could copy data to the a new drive.
    But it wasn't being recognized in the new system. After calling
    Western Digital and speaking with tech support, I was told that
    somehow, the partition table was corrputed. Windows XP was only seeing
    one 80Gb drive. I was out of luck. Or so he said.

    Being bullheaded and not wanting to believe I'd lost 70Gb of data, I
    started playing around. Tonight, I installed the "corrupted" drive
    into my new system as the master drive, booted up and lo and behold,
    Windows 98SE (that's what was running on the old drive) came up fine
    and dandy. I was able to access files and put them on floppies to
    transfer to my new system after I put the new drive online again.

    What I'm wondering though is this. I installed the old drive as the
    master boot drive. It's drives C, D, E and F. I also left the new
    drive hooked up as a secondary drive, but it wasn't recognized in
    Windows 98. If it had been, I could have just done all my file
    transfer then and there. The old drive is an IDE drive. The new drive,
    a WD 120Gb drive is S-ATA. Is there a way, if I hook up the old drive
    as the boot drive again, and boot to Windows 98SE, to have the new
    S-ATA drive be recognized so I can transfer files? Thanks for any
    help.

    , Feb 14, 2004

  2. Win Guest

    Use the XP drive as master and your old srive as secondeay master
    your problems will dissapare.
    when you put your old drive back in old sys run a through scandick on it
    from dos scandisl/? will tell you how . I think scandisk /all will do it
    then go to WD site look for there dm program (disk manager) run all tests
    your HDD will then be toshed or kept depending what you found
    win

    Win, Feb 14, 2004

  3. °Mike° Guest

    Did you set the 98SE drive's jumper to slave?

    On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 22:35:43 -0500, in
    <>
    scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Feb 14, 2004
  4. Guest

    Yes, I tried that. Also tried with no jumper. Neither way worked.

    >Did you set the 98SE drive's jumper to slave?
    >

    >On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 22:35:43 -0500, in
    > <>
    > scrawled:
    >
    >>I lost my hard drive the other night. It's a Western Digital 80Gb
    >>drive partitioned into four equal parts. I tried to install it as a
    >>slave drive into a new system so I could copy data to the a new drive.
    >>But it wasn't being recognized in the new system. After calling
    >>Western Digital and speaking with tech support, I was told that
    >>somehow, the partition table was corrputed. Windows XP was only seeing
    >>one 80Gb drive. I was out of luck. Or so he said.
    >>
    >>Being bullheaded and not wanting to believe I'd lost 70Gb of data, I
    >>started playing around. Tonight, I installed the "corrupted" drive
    >>into my new system as the master drive, booted up and lo and behold,
    >>Windows 98SE (that's what was running on the old drive) came up fine
    >>and dandy. I was able to access files and put them on floppies to
    >>transfer to my new system after I put the new drive online again.
    >>
    >>What I'm wondering though is this. I installed the old drive as the
    >>master boot drive. It's drives C, D, E and F. I also left the new
    >>drive hooked up as a secondary drive, but it wasn't recognized in
    >>Windows 98. If it had been, I could have just done all my file
    >>transfer then and there. The old drive is an IDE drive. The new drive,
    >>a WD 120Gb drive is S-ATA. Is there a way, if I hook up the old drive
    >>as the boot drive again, and boot to Windows 98SE, to have the new
    >>S-ATA drive be recognized so I can transfer files? Thanks for any
    >>help.

    , Feb 14, 2004
  5. Steven Guest

    ive descovered that win xp is crap when it comes to detecting and using
    faulty hdd's , the chkdisk on xp is pritty much useless too..
    try windows 98 to access the faulty hdd, i have a faulty weston digital
    120gb drive it was less than a year old when it broke so maybe weston
    digital drives are flawed , i found with it after using it or a log time it
    gets warmer and you cant access it , leaveing it to cool for a few hours can
    ususally get it going again..

    Steve
    ps. has anyone else had problems with weston digital drives like when they
    die in less than a year?

    Steven, Feb 14, 2004