    if it turns out to be minor fix.

    geoff

    PS Yes, she has now learned the value of backing up !

    geoff, Dec 19, 2007

  2. geoff

    Alan Guest

    "geoff" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Daughter's HDD failed. Show up insome BGIOSs but not in others, and
    > won't even attempt to boot, so I'd say it's am electronic fault on
    > it's PCB.
    >
    > The recovery agencies I've sounded out so far will only give
    > worst-case estimates starting around $900.
    >
    > Anybody have any good experiences with such a service, preferably
    > around Wellingtgon, but not necessarily. I don't want to be tied
    > into a $900 fee if it turns out to be minor fix.
    >
    > geoff
    >
    > PS Yes, she has now learned the value of backing up !

    You could try SpinRite first (http://www.grc.com/spinrite.htm)

    It has saved hard disks for me in the past, and is a lot cheaper to
    try out than $900!

    --

    Alan.

    else associated with me.

    My current valid email address is:

    email address.

    ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb

    Alan, Dec 20, 2007

  3. geoff

    impossible Guest

    "geoff" <> wrote in message
    > Daughter's HDD failed. Show up insome BGIOSs but not in others, and won't
    > even attempt to boot, so I'd say it's am electronic fault on it's PCB.
    >
    > The recovery agencies I've sounded out so far will only give worst-case
    > estimates starting around $900.
    >
    > Anybody have any good experiences with such a service, preferably around
    > Wellingtgon, but not necessarily. I don't want to be tied into a $900 fee
    > if it turns out to be minor fix.
    >
    > geoff
    >
    > PS Yes, she has now learned the value of backing up !

    Forget about trying to boot the drive. Can you access any of the data files
    you want by simply plugging it into another machine?

    impossible, Dec 20, 2007
  4. geoff

    peterwn Guest

    On Dec 20, 2:18 pm, "impossible" <> wrote:
    > "geoff" <> wrote in message

    > > Daughter's HDD failed. Show up insome BGIOSs but not in others, and won't
    > > even attempt to boot, so I'd say it's am electronic fault on it's PCB.

    > > The recovery agencies I've sounded out so far will only give worst-case
    > > estimates starting around $900.

    > > Anybody have any good experiences with such a service, preferably around
    > > Wellingtgon, but not necessarily. I don't want to be tied into a $900 fee
    > > if it turns out to be minor fix.

    > > geoff

    > > PS Yes, she has now learned the value of backing up !

    > Forget about trying to boot the drive. Can you access any of the data files
    > you want by simply plugging it into another machine?

    Rather than re-plug drive into another machine, see if the
    systemrescuecd rescue system will 'see' and read the HD.
    See:
    http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page

    peterwn, Dec 20, 2007
  5. geoff

    no Guest

    On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 19:21:48 -0800 (PST), peterwn <> wrote:

    >On Dec 20, 2:18 pm, "impossible" <> wrote:
    >> "geoff" <> wrote in message

    >> > Daughter's HDD failed. Show up insome BGIOSs but not in others, and won't
    >> > even attempt to boot, so I'd say it's am electronic fault on it's PCB.

    >> > The recovery agencies I've sounded out so far will only give worst-case
    >> > estimates starting around $900.

    >> > Anybody have any good experiences with such a service, preferably around
    >> > Wellingtgon, but not necessarily. I don't want to be tied into a $900 fee
    >> > if it turns out to be minor fix.

    >> > geoff

    >> > PS Yes, she has now learned the value of backing up !

    >> Forget about trying to boot the drive. Can you access any of the data files
    >> you want by simply plugging it into another machine?

    >Rather than re-plug drive into another machine, see if the
    >systemrescuecd rescue system will 'see' and read the HD.
    >See:
    >http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page

    I have read many reports on freezing the drive, that gets you a few min's to back up the data..

    no , Dec 20, 2007
  6. geoff

    Gordon Guest

    On 2007-12-19, geoff <> wrote:

    > PS Yes, she has now learned the value of backing up !

    So she has paid the $900 bill then? ;-)

    Gordon, Dec 20, 2007
  7. geoff

    peterwn Guest

    On Dec 20, 5:09 pm, no wrote:
    > On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 19:21:48 -0800 (PST), peterwn <> wrote:
    > >On Dec 20, 2:18 pm, "impossible" <> wrote:
    > >> "geoff" <> wrote in message

    > >> Forget about trying to boot the drive. Can you access any of the data files
    > >> you want by simply plugging it into another machine?

    > >Rather than re-plug drive into another machine, see if the
    > >systemrescuecd rescue system will 'see' and read the HD.
    > >See:
    > >http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page

    > I have read many reports on freezing the drive, that gets you a few min's to back up the data..

    The opposite may also help. In one instance I left the machine on
    after it failed to boot so the drive warmed up to normal operating
    temperature and it booted fine. The calibration must have been
    getting marginal, and presumably would merely get worse.

    peterwn, Dec 20, 2007
  8. geoff

    Lodi Guest

    > On Dec 20, 5:09 pm, no wrote:
    >> On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 19:21:48 -0800 (PST), peterwn

    >> >Rather than re-plug drive into another machine, see if the
    >> >systemrescuecd rescue system will 'see' and read the HD. See:
    >> >http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page

    >> I have read many reports on freezing the drive, that gets you a few
    >> min's to back up the data..

    Freezing for an hour (seal plastic freezer bag) then booting with
    SystemRescue CD has done the trick for me several times. A (very) basic
    knowledge of Linux is needed. If you want point and click use Knoppix
    Rescue CD instead.

    Regards
    Lodi

    Lodi, Dec 20, 2007
  9. geoff

    geoff Guest

    impossible wrote:
    > "geoff" <> wrote in message
    >> Daughter's HDD failed. Show up insome BGIOSs but not in others, and
    >> won't even attempt to boot, so I'd say it's am electronic fault on
    >> it's PCB. The recovery agencies I've sounded out so far will only give
    >> worst-case estimates starting around $900.
    >>
    >> Anybody have any good experiences with such a service, preferably
    >> around Wellingtgon, but not necessarily. I don't want to be tied
    >> into a $900 fee if it turns out to be minor fix.
    >>
    >> geoff
    >>
    >> PS Yes, she has now learned the value of backing up !
    >>

    > Forget about trying to boot the drive. Can you access any of the
    > data files you want by simply plugging it into another machine?

    Other machine(s) will not boot with this drive attatched.

    geoff

    geoff, Dec 24, 2007
  10. geoff

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "geoff" typed:
    > impossible wrote:
    >> "geoff" <> wrote in message
    >>> Daughter's HDD failed. Show up insome BGIOSs but not in others, and
    >>> won't even attempt to boot, so I'd say it's am electronic fault on
    >>> it's PCB. The recovery agencies I've sounded out so far will only
    >>> give worst-case estimates starting around $900.
    >>>
    >>> Anybody have any good experiences with such a service, preferably
    >>> around Wellingtgon, but not necessarily. I don't want to be tied
    >>> into a $900 fee if it turns out to be minor fix.
    >>>
    >>> geoff
    >>>
    >>> PS Yes, she has now learned the value of backing up !
    >>>

    >> Forget about trying to boot the drive. Can you access any of the
    >> data files you want by simply plugging it into another machine?

    > Other machine(s) will not boot with this drive attatched.

    Not calling you a liar but I find that hard to believe. Unless there is a
    dead short in the 12V/5V electrical supply that causes the PSU to shut down
    instantly. Do the "other machines" actually get as far as BIOS or are they
    dead? (No BIOS, no beeps....)

    Have you tried it with a IDE - USB adapter? I find those handy at times, got
    one for ~$15 off Trademe that works just fine with normal IDE HDDs, laptop
    drives and optical drives.
    --
    TTFN,

    Shaun.

    "your a moron"
    "Neoren", alt.drugs.hard. 20 Oct 2007

    "another academic failure.... trying to prove that your smart"
    'blanking', nz.comp, 20 Dec 2007.

    ~misfit~, Dec 24, 2007
  11. geoff wrote:
    > impossible wrote:
    >> "geoff" <> wrote in message
    >>> Daughter's HDD failed. Show up insome BGIOSs but not in others, and
    >>> won't even attempt to boot, so I'd say it's am electronic fault on
    >>> it's PCB. The recovery agencies I've sounded out so far will only give
    >>> worst-case estimates starting around $900.
    >>>
    >>> Anybody have any good experiences with such a service, preferably
    >>> around Wellingtgon, but not necessarily. I don't want to be tied
    >>> into a $900 fee if it turns out to be minor fix.
    >>>
    >>> geoff
    >>>
    >>> PS Yes, she has now learned the value of backing up !
    >>>

    >> Forget about trying to boot the drive. Can you access any of the
    >> data files you want by simply plugging it into another machine?

    > Other machine(s) will not boot with this drive attatched.

    If the drive is dodge *never* boot it or do anything which might write to it.

    Connect it to the secondary ide port as master using a new cable, and then try
    and read it. Make an image onto another drive and work with that image to try
    and recover the files.

    I may be able to help you. Demunge my email address at your peril.

    Mark Robinson, Dec 24, 2007
  12. geoff

    hdd_doctor Guest

    On 19 Dec 2007, 21:46, "geoff" <> wrote:
    > Daughter's HDD failed. Show up insome BGIOSs but not in others, and won't
    > even attempt to boot, so I'd say it's am electronic fault on it's PCB.
    >
    > Therecoveryagencies I've sounded out so far will only give worst-case
    > estimates starting around $900.
    >
    > Anybody have any good experiences with such a service, preferably around
    > Wellingtgon, but not necessarily. I don't want to be tied into a $900 fee
    > if it turns out to be minor fix.
    >
    > geoff
    >
    > PS Yes, she has now learned the value of backing up !

    Hi

    Did you manage to rcover the data in the end or do you require any
    further help?

    hdd_doctor, Jan 12, 2008
  13. geoff

    geoff Guest

    hdd_doctor wrote:
    > On 19 Dec 2007, 21:46, "geoff" <> wrote:
    >> Daughter's HDD failed. Show up insome BGIOSs but not in others, and
    >> won't even attempt to boot, so I'd say it's am electronic fault on
    >> it's PCB.
    >>
    >> Therecoveryagencies I've sounded out so far will only give worst-case
    >> estimates starting around $900.
    >>
    >> Anybody have any good experiences with such a service, preferably
    >> around Wellingtgon, but not necessarily. I don't want to be tied
    >> into a $900 fee if it turns out to be minor fix.
    >>
    >> geoff
    >>
    >> PS Yes, she has now learned the value of backing up !

    > Hi
    >
    > Did you manage to rcover the data in the end or do you require any
    > further help?

    No, not yet.

    I have pretty much determined that it is the HDD electronics that is broken,
    and the data is likely all intact. Have obnly gone so far as looking for
    blown pico-fuses etc, without success.
    Does your name suggest you do such work ?

    geoff

    geoff, Jan 13, 2008