    Is it possible to use these together or do I need a different type?

    Any help appreciated
    Steve
    rednose, Sep 27, 2003

  2. rednose

    Capt. Monty Guest

    In article <>,
    rednose <> wrote:

    > I'm about to buy a 2nd hard drive to be used for video editing and Dvd
    > ripping.
    > My present HD is a GENERIC IDE DISK TYPE47 41gb
    > The one I'm looking at is a Maxtor IDE ATA133 120gb 7200rpm.
    > Is it possible to use these together or do I need a different type?
    >
    > Any help appreciated
    > Steve

    That should work fine as long as the connections are correct. One
    should be a master (preferably the first HD) and slave and set up
    accordingly. Also make sure the OS recognizes it as a second partition
    (correct me if I'm wrong). The Maxtor should come with software on disc
    or downloadable from the Web. The kind of HD shouldn't matter, unless
    you were dealing with an external one.
    Capt. Monty, Sep 27, 2003

  3. rednose

    Eugene Kent Guest

    Make sure that your mother board will accept a 120 gb hard drive.
    I once tried to place a 60 gb hard drive on a mother board supporting a 400
    mh Intel Pentium processor. But it would only accept 30 gb's. The rest of
    the hard drive was useless.

    Eugene Kent, Sep 27, 2003
  4. rednose

    Mistoffolees Guest

    Eugene Kent wrote:

    > Make sure that your mother board will accept a 120 gb hard drive.
    > I once tried to place a 60 gb hard drive on a mother board supporting a 400
    > mh Intel Pentium processor. But it would only accept 30 gb's. The rest of
    > the hard drive was useless.

    The computer should be able to support the 60 GB hard drive but the largest
    size of any single partition can only be around 32 GB. And this is with FAT32.
    If a second, extended partition had been created, the remaining 30 GB could
    then be used.
    Mistoffolees, Sep 27, 2003
  5. rednose

    Cubzilla Guest

    "Mistoffolees" <> wrote in message

    > Eugene Kent wrote:
    >
    > > Make sure that your mother board will accept a 120 gb hard drive.
    > > I once tried to place a 60 gb hard drive on a mother board supporting a

    400
    > > mh Intel Pentium processor. But it would only accept 30 gb's. The rest

    of
    > > the hard drive was useless.

    > The computer should be able to support the 60 GB hard drive but the

    largest
    > size of any single partition can only be around 32 GB. And this is with

    FAT32.
    > If a second, extended partition had been created, the remaining 30 GB

    could
    > then be used.

    Don't we need to consider the type of bus the new disk can run best on ?

    I.e. the chance is that it will be ATA133, mixing new/old technology is not
    recommended i.e. avoid bottle necks where possible

    Regards
    Cubzilla, Sep 27, 2003