    the user to change it?

    Anyone?

    Jake
    Jacob Lane, MCP, Jan 18, 2005

  2. Jacob Lane, MCP

    Jeff Guest

    Although not allowing to connect to specific AP's, the
    best bet to allow your users to still have some freedom is
    to use a firewall on their computers. If using Windows
    XP, download SP2 and turn it on. Otherwise ZoneAlarms
    makes a solid firewall.

    Use the GPO to enable the firewall when they are not
    connected to the LAN and disable the firewall when they
    are on the corporate LAN. Make sure there user account
    has User rights only.

    highly mobile users.
    >Unfortunately, a lot of the users like to plop down at

    public access points
    >to check their e-mail and surf the web, etc. This is a

    problem because of
    >the highly sensitive nature of the work we do and we

    cannot afford to have a
    >breach of our data.
    >
    >I am wondering if there is way with Group Policy to

    explicitly specify what
    >access points or WiFi networks an XP machine can connect

    to and not allow

    Jeff, Jan 19, 2005

  3. Jacob Lane, MCP

    S. Pidgorny Guest

    Yes, there is wireless group policy that allows to set priority SSIDs.
    You'll have to update AD schema to Windows 2003 (AD can still be on Windows
    2000), and use W2K3 or XP Group Policy MMC.

    --
    Svyatoslav Pidgorny, MVP, MCSE
    -= F1 is the key =-

    S. Pidgorny, Jan 20, 2005
  4. Jacob Lane, MCP

    Pavel A. Guest

    If your notebooks are Centrino based, check with manufacturer support,
    whether the WLAN adapter supports list of mandatory APs.
    Some Centrino WLAN adapters support this.
    --PA

    Pavel A., Jan 22, 2005