    it works when the phone is plugged directly into the BT socket but not
    through the 486.
    Anyone else got this sorted out ?

    muzz, Mar 11, 2006

  2. muzz

    Sean Guest

    muzz wrote:
    > Hello all. Just got myself a Grandstream HT 486 rev2. I am using it
    > with VOIPstunt and it's working well apart from one thing. If someone
    > phones me on my VOIP number then caller ID works, but if they phone me
    > on my normal landline number it does not.
    > I make my phone calls through Toucan but I have caller ID from BT and
    > it works when the phone is plugged directly into the BT socket but not
    > through the 486.
    > Anyone else got this sorted out ?

    Most ATAs which allow you to connect to the PSTN stop CLI... on BT lines
    anyway.

    BT CLI is not compatable... It's very unlinkly it will ever work with
    the ATA you have :(

    Sean, Mar 11, 2006

  3. muzz

    DJ Guest

    In message <duvcuk$b98$2surf.net>, Sean
    <> writes
    >muzz wrote:
    >> Hello all. Just got myself a Grandstream HT 486 rev2. I am using it
    >> with VOIPstunt and it's working well apart from one thing. If someone
    >> phones me on my VOIP number then caller ID works, but if they phone me
    >> on my normal landline number it does not.
    >> I make my phone calls through Toucan but I have caller ID from BT and
    >> it works when the phone is plugged directly into the BT socket but not
    >> through the 486.
    >> Anyone else got this sorted out ?
    >>

    >Most ATAs which allow you to connect to the PSTN stop CLI... on BT
    >lines anyway.
    >
    >BT CLI is not compatable... It's very unlinkly it will ever work with
    >the ATA you have :(

    I think the problem is that the HT486 is only PSTN passthrough, and the
    BT phone is connected to the IP side of the box monitoring the IP side
    of things. When an incoming IP call rings the BT phone it passes the
    CLID by means of audio frequency tones to the phone.
    The phone cannot monitor both the IP line and the BT line.
    And if the BT line rings, I think the HT486 detects the ringing current
    and switches the BT line through to the phone. But it might not switch
    it fast enough to enable the phone to see the incoming audio freq CLID
    tones. And hence you will not see it on the phone.

    I have an Atcom AG-168v here, and I had the same problem.
    My answer was to set the AG-168 to default to the BT line, where it is
    always connected via the switching relay in the box to the BT line and
    hence will see the incoming CLID.
    It also sees the CLID from the IP side, and when the IP side incoming
    rings, the relay switches over to the IP line and sees the CLID.
    I presume that the delay from the onset of ringing current on the IP
    side to the sending of the CLID is longer than BT, hence long enough for
    the relay to switch and the phone to see the CLID.

    If I want to make a call on the IP line I just press the recall button
    on the dect phone and it gives me the IP line with a different dialling
    tone.

    --
    DJ

    DJ, Mar 11, 2006
  4. muzz

    Jono Guest

    muzz wrote:

    > Hello all. Just got myself a Grandstream HT 486 rev2. I am using it
    > with VOIPstunt and it's working well apart from one thing. If someone
    > phones me on my VOIP number then caller ID works, but if they phone me
    > on my normal landline number it does not.
    > I make my phone calls through Toucan but I have caller ID from BT and
    > it works when the phone is plugged directly into the BT socket but not
    > through the 486.
    > Anyone else got this sorted out ?

    Are you sure there are no settings you can tweak for CLID?

    I'm using 2 or 3 Sipura SPA3000s, which all pass CLID to the phones for
    inbound PSTN calls.

    In fact, I've just installed one at my Mum's to /mend/ CLID - she has a
    Telewest line which *WILL NOT* pass CLID to her phones. The spa3000 does,
    however, successfully capture CLID from the TW line (& voip) /and/ passes
    it to the phones.

    Jono, Mar 12, 2006
  5. muzz

    Guest

    On 11 Mar 2006 12:36:35 -0800, "muzz" <> wrote:

    >If someone
    >phones me on my VOIP number then caller ID works, but if they phone me
    >on my normal landline number it does not.

    Yes, and if you look at the specs of the 486 on one of the websites
    selling it, they say that it does not currently support CLID on the
    passthrough connector.

    I'm hoping that the "currently" implies that at some firmware upgrade
    it may do, but maybe I'm being over-optimistic.

    , Mar 12, 2006
  6. muzz

    muzz Guest

    Thanks for the replies. I have since encountered another problem with
    the 486. The sound quality at my end has deteriorated to almost
    inaudible, although it's fine at the other end of the line !
    I am currently in talks with the support team from whence it came and
    intend to send it back.

    muzz, Mar 14, 2006