    Adaptor/DECT. Anybody any advice or recommendations?

    Regards

    Mike N
    Safesheep, May 10, 2006

  2. Safesheep wrote:
    > I am just beginning to think about using VOIP. I have looked at various
    > providers, starting with SKYPE. I have also looked at others such as
    > VOIPTALK as they offer more services such as fax to email. I can see
    > advantages in using Skype due to the large number of users, including
    > several of my friends, however I suspect I will also sign up to Voiptalk
    > (or similar) for the extra features.
    >
    > I know that Skype use their own system whereas Voicetalk use SIP so I am
    > looking for an inexpensive handset that will work with both services -
    > or any other I may sign up to. There is also the question of USB versus
    > Adaptor/DECT. Anybody any advice or recommendations?
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Mike N

    I have some unopened Atcom AT-320EE's you could have for £35 + p&p, will
    work with voiptalk etc. but will not work with SkyPE.
    Thomas Kenyon, May 10, 2006

  3. Safesheep

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Safesheep" <> wrote in message
    > I am just beginning to think about using VOIP. I have
    > looked at various providers, starting with SKYPE. I have
    > also looked at others such as VOIPTALK as they offer more
    > services such as fax to email. I can see advantages in
    > using Skype due to the large number of users, including
    > several of my friends, however I suspect I will also sign
    > up to Voiptalk (or similar) for the extra features.
    > I know that Skype use their own system whereas Voicetalk
    > use SIP so I am looking for an inexpensive handset that
    > will work with both services - or any other I may sign up
    > to. There is also the question of USB versus
    > Adaptor/DECT. Anybody any advice or recommendations?

    You will not find anything that will work with both Skype and SIP. Skype
    use their own proprietary protocol that isn't compatible with anything
    else.

    My personal recommendation is don't bother with Skype unless you know
    loads of people that are already on it; I don't care for any system that
    requires a PC to be on in order to use it, I prefer to make my phone calls
    on a telephone..!

    As to SIP providers, it's entirely up to you. I like Sipgate, but certain
    people here will tell you they are crap, which may be their experience but
    certainly isn't mine. It's certainly worth trying out as it is totally
    free to sign up and you don't have to add credit unless you want to make
    calls to the PSTN. Anyway, make up your own mind.

    As to ATA's, personally I like the Sipura range, also AVM do some nice
    stuff if you want an all-in-one with router and modem included.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, May 10, 2006
  4. Safesheep

    paul123 Guest

    Ivor Jones wrote:
    > You will not find anything that will work with both Skype and SIP. Skype
    > use their own proprietary protocol that isn't compatible with anything
    > else.

    It IS possible on one device, BUT you'll need to plug into your USB
    port on your PC:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Skype-VoIPStunt...ryZ61841QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

    Having said it is possible, a SIP hardware solution is probably
    preferable. Having to have your PC on to make a call is a hassle.

    Paul
    paul123, May 10, 2006
  5. Safesheep

    Safesheep Guest

    Thanks for this.

    I have a basic headset/microphone so I may try that for Skype, but I
    will probably register with Voiptalk as my main supplier and use an
    adapter and DECT phone. I note the reference to the Sipura adapters but
    are they significantly better than Grandstream which are a bit cheaper
    (I am a pensioner on a tight budget!)

    Regards

    Mike N

    Safesheep, May 11, 2006
  6. Safesheep

    Safesheep Guest

    Voiptalk

    I am thinking of signing up with VOIPTALK as my service supplier.

    Has anybody got any experience (good or bad) of this company?

    Regards

    Mike N
    Safesheep, May 11, 2006
  7. Safesheep

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Safesheep" <> wrote in message
    > Thanks for this.
    >
    > I have a basic headset/microphone so I may try that for
    > Skype, but I will probably register with Voiptalk as my
    > main supplier and use an adapter and DECT phone. I note
    > the reference to the Sipura adapters but are they
    > significantly better than Grandstream which are a bit
    > cheaper (I am a pensioner on a tight budget!)

    IMHO, yes. The build quality is significantly better for a start.

    Ivor
    --
    A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
    Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
    Ivor Jones, May 11, 2006
  8. Safesheep

    paul123 Guest

    Safesheep wrote:
    > Thanks for this.
    >
    > I have a basic headset/microphone so I may try that for Skype, but I
    > will probably register with Voiptalk as my main supplier and use an
    > adapter and DECT phone. I note the reference to the Sipura adapters but
    > are they significantly better than Grandstream which are a bit cheaper
    > (I am a pensioner on a tight budget!)
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Mike N

    I have a Linksys (Sipura) 3000 ATA and a grandstream 386 ATA. Pricewise
    there is a significant difference. In performance terms they are
    completely different "beasts". The grandstream might have some
    shortcomings, but it DOES do the job well enough. If your budget is a
    little tight, then maybe a grandstream will suit your pocket better....

    Having said all that, the PAP2 ATA can be had for a similar price as
    the 386. The Linksys PAP2 (Sipura in other clothes) won't allow
    incoming through your landline, whilst the 386 will (on one line at
    least).

    > I am thinking of signing up with VOIPTALK as my service supplier.
    >
    > Has anybody got any experience (good or bad) of this company?

    I have been using Voiptalk (silver account) for a year and a half and
    have no hesitation in recommending them. Unlike many voip companies,
    they do give a good service - a couple of minor issues in the early
    days were quickly sorted out on their ticket support system. I also
    phoned on a billing issue and they sorted it instantly (they even gave
    me a fiver's worth of free credit for the trouble!).

    Oh, I'm assuming you have a router to plug an adaptor into?
    paul123, May 11, 2006
  9. Safesheep

    Guest

    On Thu, 11 May 2006 09:44:53 GMT, Safesheep
    <> wrote:

    >I have a basic headset/microphone so I may try that for Skype, but I
    >will probably register with Voiptalk as my main supplier and use an
    >adapter and DECT phone.

    I really wouldn't bother with Skype. Skype is good for people like
    your Mum who wants a dead easy installation and no messing with router
    settings.

    If you managed to ask about it here, the right place, you will be able
    to do proper SIP VOIP.

    You can get free software that lets you use your headset/mic with
    Voiptalk (though I'd suggest you try sipgate.co.uk first - it is
    completely free, so why not?)

    Still better with a SIP ATA, but you can try it all for free.
    , May 12, 2006
  10. Safesheep

    Guest

    On Fri, 12 May 2006 00:04:35 +0100, wrote:

    >You can get free software that lets you use your headset/mic with
    >Voiptalk (though I'd suggest you try sipgate.co.uk first - it is
    >completely free, so why not?)

    BECAUSE SIPGATE IS CRAP THAT'S WHY NOT .
    , May 12, 2006
  11. Safesheep

    Paul Cupis Guest

    Netiquette (was: Re: Handsets and things)

    wrote:
    > On Fri, 12 May 2006 00:04:35 +0100, wrote:
    >> You can get free software that lets you use your headset/mic with
    >> Voiptalk (though I'd suggest you try sipgate.co.uk first - it is
    >> completely free, so why not?)

    > BECAUSE SIPGATE IS CRAP THAT'S WHY NOT .

    I DON'T THINK THEY HEARD YOU AT THE BACK.

    RFC1855.
    Paul Cupis, May 12, 2006
  12. Safesheep

    Ivor Jones Guest

    Re: Netiquette (was: Re: Handsets and things)

    "Paul Cupis" <> wrote in message
    > wrote:
    > > On Fri, 12 May 2006 00:04:35 +0100,
    > > wrote:
    > > > You can get free software that lets you use your
    > > > headset/mic with Voiptalk (though I'd suggest you try
    > > > sipgate.co.uk first - it is completely free, so why
    > > > not?)

    > > BECAUSE SIPGATE IS CRAP THAT'S WHY NOT .

    > I DON'T THINK THEY HEARD YOU AT THE BACK.
    >
    > RFC1855.

    A waste of time, he wouldn't understand what that means and even if he did
    he'd not take any notice.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, May 12, 2006
  13. Safesheep

    The Invalid Guest

    Re: Netiquette (was: Re: Handsets and things)

    On Fri, 12 May 2006 01:01:36 +0100, Paul Cupis <>
    wrote:

    > wrote:
    >> On Fri, 12 May 2006 00:04:35 +0100, wrote:
    >>> You can get free software that lets you use your headset/mic with
    >>> Voiptalk (though I'd suggest you try sipgate.co.uk first - it is
    >>> completely free, so why not?)

    >> BECAUSE SIPGATE IS CRAP THAT'S WHY NOT .

    >I DON'T THINK THEY HEARD YOU AT THE BACK.
    >
    >RFC1855.

    Its OK he's a sad old man.
    The Invalid, May 12, 2006
  14. Safesheep

    Guest

    On Thu, 11 May 2006 23:52:53 GMT, wrote:

    >>Voiptalk (though I'd suggest you try sipgate.co.uk first - it is
    >>completely free, so why not?)

    >BECAUSE SIPGATE IS CRAP THAT'S WHY NOT .

    No, it's your opinion that is crap.

    Sipgate is free, and it works well for many thousands of people.

    I use voip.co.uk because their tariffs suit my use better, and there
    are more services, but Sipgate is fine.

    Why don't you grow up and get a life instead of this childish
    vendetta?
    , May 12, 2006
  15. Safesheep

    alex Guest

    paul123 wrote:
    > Ivor Jones wrote:
    >
    >>You will not find anything that will work with both Skype and SIP. Skype
    >>use their own proprietary protocol that isn't compatible with anything
    >>else.

    > It IS possible on one device, BUT you'll need to plug into your USB
    > port on your PC:
    > http://cgi.ebay.com/Skype-VoIPStunt...ryZ61841QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    >
    > Having said it is possible, a SIP hardware solution is probably
    > preferable. Having to have your PC on to make a call is a hassle.
    >
    > Paul

    The main problem we've had is finding products where the buttons and the
    software talk to each other. We get sent loads of phones where the
    keypads and stuff just don't work.

    alex
    alex, May 13, 2006