Hands on classes vs. Study Material

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by Richard H, Dec 5, 2004.

  1. Richard H

    Richard H Guest

    Hi,

    Can anyone give me some advice on taking the week-long set of classes for
    MCDST versus just studying the material on my own? I have been
    troubleshooting desktops and some networking for 3.5 years with that being an
    average of %15 of my workday. I have reviewed both course topics and I feel
    pretty confident with most of the topics so I would be filling in some gaps.
    What I don't know would probably be easy to pick up. I really want to get my
    career moving quickly and don't want the study for this exam to get drawn
    out. I can devote 5 to 7 hours per week to study.

    For someone at my level, is paying $2000+ for the hand-on course really
    providing that much value over studying the material? I would be willing to
    pay for the course if it was really worth it. I need to make a decision in
    the next week. Thanks very much to anyone with advice.

    Best,

    Richard

    Richard H, Dec 5, 2004

  2. Richard H

    Wayne Guest

    As long as you are sure you understand the objectives at
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/exams/70-271.asp and
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/exams/70-272.asp and you've tried the
    sample exam questions those sites reference then give it a go :)
    Also try http://assessment.learning.microsoft.com/test/home.asp and see what
    the result is.

    Good luck,

    Wayne McGlinn
    Brisbane, Oz
    MCDST

    Wayne, Dec 5, 2004

  3. Richard H

    Jason Guest

    Richard,

    Your question seems to be one of the most common on this forum whether
    others are asking it as directly as you are or not. The value of training
    cannot be under or overstated, because learning is different for everyone.
    That said, there are some general observations that can be made about the
    value of different learning methods and techniques. Having been both a
    student and a teacher, I find that experience is often the best educator,
    both personally and professionally. Someone can show me something or
    explain something to me, but uintil I do it myself a few times, it doesn't
    really sink in.

    Thus, the question is: what is the value of "filling in the gaps", as you
    say. The answer will depend on answering another question. If you desire
    to fill the gaps to pass the exam, the value is minimal because it sounds
    like you are almost (if not already) at the point of passing. If your
    desire to fill the gaps is to expand your own breadth and depth of knowledge
    as well as to contribute toward your future success in the IT industry, then
    the value of "filling the gaps" increases. This holds true for anyone
    wanting to sit the exam.

    From a personal perspecitve, it seems like you are quite literally there,
    if not already. Take an assessment exam available at:
    http://assessment.learning.microsoft.com/test/home.asp and buy a study guide
    to read through and fill whatever gaps you can that way. Then, just sit an
    exam. If you do not pass, take advantage of the money spent and look at the
    areas of weakness, and focus heavily on that or those areas in the study
    guide. It also does not hurt to read through the XP resource guide
    available at:
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/...indows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prork_overview.asp

    It's not the best book to read for enjoyment, but if you read that entire
    piece you are virtually guaranteed of passing at least 271, and pretty close
    to 272 as well. Best of luck and keep us posted on your successes!

    Jason

    Jason, Dec 5, 2004
  4. Richard H

    Jason Guest

    Forgot, MS has also put out some free elearning tools that can help, located
    at:
    https://www.microsoftelearning.com/eLearning/offerDetail.aspx?offerId=11583

    Jason, Dec 5, 2004
  5. Richard H

    starrynight Guest

    Dear all,
    This is a good topic of conversation. I think whether you pass or not
    depends on the type of person you are, combined with experience either on
    the job already or experience on your own computer. I don't have a job as a
    helpdesk technician, I'm a designer. However I have been taking courses at
    my local college and have been reading tons of books and doing a lot of
    practices on the internet. I really think it's a matter of how much time and
    effort you spend reading, memorizing and practicing, all combined. I don't
    have experience on a domain but I feel the few courses I have taken have
    prepared me enough to pass these 2 exams. It really depends on a lot of
    different variables. I wish each and every one of you good luck.
    -starrynight

    starrynight, Dec 6, 2004
  6. Jason, you're a class act! Nice answers, very straightforward. Wish others
    were as helpfull.

    Roger

    Roger Courtney, Dec 19, 2004
  7. Richard H

    joe Guest

    I see helpful answers that I can use to determine what
    route to take > Hands on classes or Study Material.

    I don't have any experience other than personal computer
    knowledge. Will I find any problems studying the materials
    on my own to seat for the exam? Thank you!

    joe, Dec 25, 2004
  8. Richard H

    Guest Guest

    An intense course is best for you and anyone like you. The
    Training Camp would be a good start.

    Guest, Feb 3, 2005