Handling persistants popups!

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by RJM, May 19, 2008.

  1. RJM

    RJM Guest

    Hello to you all. Recently I have been receiving popups ( if that is
    the term) that ignore all options to close them, any actions taken
    only result with the popup doing it's thing. The only way to get rid
    of it is end firefox process in the task manager.

    The most persistant being video activex object. Even when there should
    be no animation. Just now I visited a site and was immediately greated
    with a window ( not activex) offering specials that just kept taking
    me to another page of their catalog, no matter what I did, except
    ending the process.

    Any way to combat this anoying occurance and potential hazzard? I have
    block popups enabled in Firefox and similarly in the antivirus/spy
    progs.

    Firefox v 2.0.0.14 WinXP SP2

    Thanks

    Bob.

    RJM, May 19, 2008

  2. RJM wrote:
    > Just now I visited a site and was immediately greated
    > with a window ( not activex) offering specials that just kept taking
    > me to another page of their catalog, no matter what I did, except
    > ending the process.

    how about posting such a site so someone can see whats going
    on. There are popup and there are /popups/ , and they
    aren't the same.

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, May 19, 2008

  3. RJM

    RJM Guest

    On Sun, 18 May 2008 17:54:17 -0700, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
    <> wrote:

    >RJM wrote:
    >> Just now I visited a site and was immediately greated
    >> with a window ( not activex) offering specials that just kept taking
    >> me to another page of their catalog, no matter what I did, except
    >> ending the process.

    >how about posting such a site so someone can see whats going
    >on. There are popup and there are /popups/ , and they
    >aren't the same.

    Thanks will get the url next time one "pops up"

    Was aware that my term may be ambiguous thus the addition of "if that
    is the term"

    Back soon. Thanks

    Bob

    RJM, May 19, 2008