    Is it something simillar to a modem bank?

    Thanks,

    Ali

    Ali, Dec 27, 2003

  2. Ali

    Miguel Cruz Guest

    Ali <> wrote:
    > I have a question about prepaid calling card services where you have
    > to dial a local number, enter a pin, then dial your number.
    >
    > What system/technology do companies use to handle simultaneous calls
    > to one phone number, and then switch them on to an IP based network?
    > Is it something simillar to a modem bank?

    Typically you would get a T1 (or many) which provides 23 phone lines on a
    digital interface. They can all have the same phone number - information
    about what number was dialed is delivered in a parallel control channel, so
    there's no need for a one-number to one-line correspondence.

    miguel
    --
    Hundreds of travel photos from around the world: http://travel.u.nu/

    Miguel Cruz, Dec 27, 2003

  3. Ali

    Ali Guest

    (Miguel Cruz) wrote in message news:<9dlHb.28125$Q%>...
    > Ali <> wrote:
    > > I have a question about prepaid calling card services where you have
    > > to dial a local number, enter a pin, then dial your number.
    > >
    > > What system/technology do companies use to handle simultaneous calls
    > > to one phone number, and then switch them on to an IP based network?
    > > Is it something simillar to a modem bank?

    > Typically you would get a T1 (or many) which provides 23 phone lines on a
    > digital interface. They can all have the same phone number - information
    > about what number was dialed is delivered in a parallel control channel, so
    > there's no need for a one-number to one-line correspondence.
    >
    > miguel

    Can you give me an example of a digital interface?

    Do you have any links to hardware or articles relating to this?

    Ali, Dec 29, 2003
  4. Ali

    Miguel Cruz Guest

    Ali <> wrote:
    > (Miguel Cruz) wrote:
    >> Ali <> wrote:
    >>> I have a question about prepaid calling card services where you have
    >>> to dial a local number, enter a pin, then dial your number.
    >>>
    >>> What system/technology do companies use to handle simultaneous calls
    >>> to one phone number, and then switch them on to an IP based network?
    >>> Is it something simillar to a modem bank?

    >> Typically you would get a T1 (or many) which provides 23 phone lines on a
    >> digital interface. They can all have the same phone number - information
    >> about what number was dialed is delivered in a parallel control channel, so
    >> there's no need for a one-number to one-line correspondence.

    > Can you give me an example of a digital interface?

    http://www.digium.com/index.php?menu=wildcard_t100p

    miguel
    --
    Hundreds of travel photos from around the world: http://travel.u.nu/

    Miguel Cruz, Dec 29, 2003
  5. Ali

    FastBusy Guest

    One of the more common is the Cisco access server 5xxx series. Search
    for Cisco as5300 and see what you get.

    What you have is a devise that contains an IVR, IP gateway, router,
    and PSTN interface all in the same box.

    PRI is going to be the most common PSTN interface here in North
    America for calling cards and other multi user dial in cases.

    A PRI is an ISDN t-1 with 23, or 24 channels that allow more flexible
    calling and call control options that other PSTN services.

    FastBusy, Dec 29, 2003
  6. Ali

    Ali Guest

    (Ali) wrote in message news:<>...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a question about prepaid calling card services where you have
    > to dial a local number, enter a pin, then dial your number.
    >
    > What system/technology do companies use to handle simultaneous calls
    > to one phone number, and then switch them on to an IP based network?
    > Is it something simillar to a modem bank?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Ali

    Thanks guys. Its a great place to start

    Ali