    attractive.

    Is there a Big Book on this type of thing?

    , Jan 24, 2005

  2. GLC1173 Guest

    Edfan wrote:
    >Can anyone recommend an ecyclopedic >manual of digital photography that
    >would save me some time experimenting >with lighting and setup every
    >time a new situation pops up?

    I don't know of any. Even the software is poorly documented - even
    top-grade ones like PhotoShop.
    Why do you need such a guidebook? Experimenting only costs time with your
    digicam - not costly film and developing charges like film. Just experiment -
    and discard photos you don't like.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    <B>Dissident news - plus immigration, gun rights, weather, Internet Gun Show
    <I><A HREF="http://www.alamanceind.com">ALAMANCE INDEPENDENT:
    official newspaper of the Vast Right Wing Conspiracy</A></b></i>

    GLC1173, Jan 24, 2005

  3. Frank ess Guest

    wrote:
    > Can anyone recommend an ecyclopedic manual of digital photography that
    > would save me some time experimenting with lighting and setup every
    > time a new situation pops up?
    >
    > At the moment, I wish I could look up in a book how to photograph a
    > "see through" gauze looking ribbon which glows greenish in one
    > direction and copper color in the other if you twist it. Lighting it
    > is sort of a pain. I can see I'll be up a while playing with this and
    > taking 25 shots to see which technique works better. The project is
    > casual - but I do want the changing colors to be visible and
    > attractive.
    >
    > Is there a Big Book on this type of thing?

    Seems to me you've found the closest equivalent: r.p.d. will give you
    chapter and verse on (I expect) every phase of the art and craft of
    photography, or at least a bibliography of links and suggestions. If you
    can wade through the detritus there's enough good will and knowledge
    here to fill chapters on everything. There is no substitute for
    expertise. Bring your patience ang persistence.

    As to your lighting problem? It seems to me your description indicates
    it's going to require an eyes-on solution.

    Frank ess

    "Because of the Swiss Cheese nature of everyone's life experience and
    education, the Whoosh Bird can drop a load on anyone's head, without
    warning." -Albrecht Einstein

    Frank ess, Jan 24, 2005
  4. Chita Jing Guest

    "Frank ess" <> wrote in message
    > wrote:
    >> Can anyone recommend an ecyclopedic manual of digital photography that
    >> would save me some time experimenting with lighting and setup every
    >> time a new situation pops up?

    > As to your lighting problem? It seems to me your description indicates
    > it's going to require an eyes-on solution.

    How does the group resolve problems which need eyes-on inspection? Is
    there a "partner" binaries group off this one?

    Imagine a piece of loose gauze where the threads in one direction or a
    slightly different color than threads in the other direction. How would you
    light it to show the color change? You must twist the ribbon to make it
    reflect light -- but how would you light it?

    The reason for a Handbook is to save time. I found a web page detailing
    "how to photograph glass" once and it saved me oodles of time. It would be
    great to get a book like that.

    Chita Jing, Jan 24, 2005
  5. paul Guest

    Chita Jing wrote:

    > How does the group resolve problems which need eyes-on inspection? Is
    > there a "partner" binaries group off this one?

    There are binary groups but it's a lot easier to find some web space so
    folks can just click a link here. That is very helpful for interacting here.

    paul, Jan 24, 2005
  6. "Chita Jing" <> writes:

    > "Frank ess" <> wrote in message
    >> wrote:
    >>> Can anyone recommend an ecyclopedic manual of digital photography that
    >>> would save me some time experimenting with lighting and setup every
    >>> time a new situation pops up?

    >> As to your lighting problem? It seems to me your description indicates
    >> it's going to require an eyes-on solution.

    > How does the group resolve problems which need eyes-on inspection? Is
    > there a "partner" binaries group off this one?
    >
    > Imagine a piece of loose gauze where the threads in one direction or a
    > slightly different color than threads in the other direction. How would you
    > light it to show the color change? You must twist the ribbon to make it
    > reflect light -- but how would you light it?
    >
    > The reason for a Handbook is to save time. I found a web page detailing
    > "how to photograph glass" once and it saved me oodles of time. It would be
    > great to get a book like that.

    Since it's where *I* learned about dark-field and bright-field
    lighting for glass, I'll venture to suggest _Light -- Science and
    Magic_ by Hunter & Fuqua (Focal Press). You won't find an entry under
    "bicolor ribbons" in its index, I don't think. But you *will* learn
    all the basics, which will let you figure out bicolor ribbons and
    black leather and all sorts of other special situations.

    David Dyer-Bennet, Jan 24, 2005
  7. C J Campbell Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Can anyone recommend an ecyclopedic manual of digital photography that
    > would save me some time experimenting with lighting and setup every
    > time a new situation pops up?

    "Light and Lighting: The Definitive Guide for Serious Digital Photographers"
    by Michael Freeman. You may also want to look at "Close-up Photography" by
    the same author.

    C J Campbell, Jan 24, 2005
  8. Marvin Guest

    wrote:
    > Can anyone recommend an ecyclopedic manual of digital photography that
    > would save me some time experimenting with lighting and setup every
    > time a new situation pops up?
    >
    > At the moment, I wish I could look up in a book how to photograph a
    > "see through" gauze looking ribbon which glows greenish in one
    > direction and copper color in the other if you twist it. Lighting it is
    > sort of a pain. I can see I'll be up a while playing with this and
    > taking 25 shots to see which technique works better. The project is
    > casual - but I do want the changing colors to be visible and
    > attractive.
    >
    > Is there a Big Book on this type of thing?

    Wouldn't a book on lighting for film photography do? There are many of those.

    Marvin, Jan 25, 2005
  9. Guest

    THANKS SO MUCH for the recommendation of the Hunter and Fuqua book. I
    ordered it from Amazon.com and it's EXACTLY what I was looking for. The
    exhaustive content is organized logically. There was no problem finding
    exactly the type of setup which most resembled the siutation I was
    trying to resolve.

    I'll get years of use from it. This displays the power of the Net,
    IMHO. I don't think I would have found that book for ages if I'd had to
    wait until some bookseller had it in stock the one day I went roaming
    the malls.

    David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
    > "Chita Jing" <> writes:
    >
    > > "Frank ess" <> wrote in message

    that

    every

    > Since it's where *I* learned about dark-field and bright-field
    > lighting for glass, I'll venture to suggest _Light -- Science and
    > Magic_ by Hunter & Fuqua (Focal Press). You won't find an entry

    under
    > "bicolor ribbons" in its index, I don't think. But you *will* learn
    > all the basics, which will let you figure out bicolor ribbons and
    > black leather and all sorts of other special situations.
    > --
    > David Dyer-Bennet

    , Feb 17, 2005
  10. writes:

    > David Dyer-Bennet wrote:

    >> Since it's where *I* learned about dark-field and bright-field
    >> lighting for glass, I'll venture to suggest _Light -- Science and
    >> Magic_ by Hunter & Fuqua (Focal Press). You won't find an entry
    >> under "bicolor ribbons" in its index, I don't think. But you
    >> *will* learn all the basics, which will let you figure out bicolor
    >> ribbons and black leather and all sorts of other special
    >> situations.

    > THANKS SO MUCH for the recommendation of the Hunter and Fuqua book. I
    > ordered it from Amazon.com and it's EXACTLY what I was looking for. The
    > exhaustive content is organized logically. There was no problem finding
    > exactly the type of setup which most resembled the siutation I was
    > trying to resolve.
    >
    > I'll get years of use from it. This displays the power of the Net,
    > IMHO. I don't think I would have found that book for ages if I'd had to
    > wait until some bookseller had it in stock the one day I went roaming
    > the malls.

    I'm very glad it helped you.

    I found it by asking a friend who was then a student in a local art
    school for a good book on lighting. I've never yet encountered it on
    the shelf at a bookstore.

    So now I'm wondering what *other* wonderful photo books I'm missing
    out on because they're (I suspect) too technical and specialized for
    the mall market.

    David Dyer-Bennet, Feb 17, 2005