    Do any of you have constructive, non sarcastic suggestions of what I
    need to do to stop the problem?

    Thank you.

    Grandpa Chuck, Jan 31, 2009

  2. Grandpa Chuck

    JAMES Guest

    "Grandpa Chuck" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > many of my hand tools are becoming rusty even though they are in a
    > good metal tool box and there is no humidity to speak of this time of
    > the year in our basement.
    >
    > Do any of you have constructive, non sarcastic suggestions of what I
    > need to do to stop the problem?
    >
    > Thank you.

    Use WD 40

    JAMES, Jan 31, 2009

  3. On Sat, 31 Jan 2009 16:22:14 -0500, "JAMES" <>
    wrote:

    >"Grandpa Chuck" <> wrote in message
    >> many of my hand tools are becoming rusty even though they are in a
    >> good metal tool box and there is no humidity to speak of this time of
    >> the year in our basement.
    >>
    >> Do any of you have constructive, non sarcastic suggestions of what I
    >> need to do to stop the problem?
    >>
    >> Thank you.

    >Use WD 40

    Thanks James.

    Been there; done that. It helps for awhile.
    We even bought a can of past wax and rubbed that on with a rag.
    One thing that has become clear is that the cheap tools are much more
    prone to rust then are the more expensive tools. I don't normally buy
    cheap tools, but when can't afford the better quality ones sometimes I
    am forced to.

    As soon as it starts to warm up and we start having that Iowa humidity
    I will turn the dehumidifier on which sets directly in from of the
    tool box with a garden hose running over to the floor drain on the
    opposite end of the basement.

    Grandpa Chuck, Jan 31, 2009
  4. Grandpa Chuck

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2009-01-31, Grandpa Chuck <> wrote:
    > many of my hand tools are becoming rusty even though they are in a
    > good metal tool box and there is no humidity to speak of this time of
    > the year in our basement.
    >
    > Do any of you have constructive, non sarcastic suggestions of what I
    > need to do to stop the problem?
    >
    > Thank you.

    You and your rusty tools <G> ...

    <http://groups.google.com/group/24hoursupport.helpdesk/browse_thread/thread
    /1128699a37374716?q=%22hand+tools+%22+author:Grandpa+author:Chuck> or
    <http://xrl.us/beegqr> (July 2007 79 articles archived)

    <http://groups.google.com/group/24hoursupport.helpdesk/browse_thread/thread
    /2ac15c719ef73f6b?q=%22hand+tools+%22+author:Grandpa+author:Chuck> or
    <http://xrl.us/beegqt> (January 2008 59 articles archived)

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Jan 31, 2009
  5. Grandpa Chuck

    Buffalo Guest

    Grandpa Chuck wrote:
    > many of my hand tools are becoming rusty even though they are in a
    > good metal tool box and there is no humidity to speak of this time of
    > the year in our basement.
    >
    > Do any of you have constructive, non sarcastic suggestions of what I
    > need to do to stop the problem?
    >
    > Thank you.

    Oil them up some and/or use WD-40 and then put a fairly large oil
    impregnated cloth on top to the tools inside the toolbox.
    That usually helps a lot and make sure the tool box is not sitting on a
    concrete floor or on a large metal surface.

    Buffalo, Jan 31, 2009
  6. Grandpa Chuck

    Buffalo Guest

    alan wrote:
    > "Whiskers" <> wrote in message
    >> On 2009-01-31, Grandpa Chuck <> wrote:
    >>> many of my hand tools are becoming rusty even though they are in a
    >>> good metal tool box and there is no humidity to speak of this time
    >>> of the year in our basement.
    >>>
    >>> Do any of you have constructive, non sarcastic suggestions of what I
    >>> need to do to stop the problem?
    >>>
    >>> Thank you.

    >> You and your rusty tools <G> ...

    <http://groups.google.com/group/24hoursupport.helpdesk/browse_thread/thread
    >> /1128699a37374716?q=%22hand+tools+%22+author:Grandpa+author:Chuck> or
    >> <http://xrl.us/beegqr> (July 2007 79 articles archived)

    <http://groups.google.com/group/24hoursupport.helpdesk/browse_thread/thread
    >> /2ac15c719ef73f6b?q=%22hand+tools+%22+author:Grandpa+author:Chuck> or
    >> <http://xrl.us/beegqt> (January 2008 59 articles archived)
    >>
    >> --
    >> -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    >> -- Whiskers
    >> -- ~~~~~~~~~~

    > I had a feeling his inquiry was familiar. Wonder what kind of a kick
    > he gets out of his "rusty tools" inquiries?

    He's probably just trying to get more ideas on what to do.
    After reading some of the suggestions, I would bet that there is moisture
    being trapped between the rubber drawer liners and the metal bottom of his
    drawer trays in his metal cabinet.

    Buffalo, Jan 31, 2009
  7. On Sat, 31 Jan 2009 15:41:36 -0600, "philo" <> wrote:

    >"Grandpa Chuck" <> wrote in message
    >> many of my hand tools are becoming rusty even though they are in a
    >> good metal tool box and there is no humidity to speak of this time of
    >> the year in our basement.
    >>
    >> Do any of you have constructive, non sarcastic suggestions of what I
    >> need to do to stop the problem?
    >>
    >> Thank you.

    >As the mentioned, a little oil or wd-40
    >

    >though the best way to keep them from rusting is to simply use them.
    >
    >btw: a little rust probably won't hurt anything anyway.
    >
    >I still have tools that were my grandfathers...they must be 80 years old or
    >so!

    It doesn't seem to harm them except I have to really fight with the
    extra long needle nose pliers to get them to open and close. I have
    used Naval Gel on some of them and then the 3 in 1 oil, WD40, or some
    other lubricant.

    Grandpa Chuck, Feb 1, 2009
  8. On Sat, 31 Jan 2009 21:51:30 +0000, Whiskers
    <> wrote:

    >On 2009-01-31, Grandpa Chuck <> wrote:
    >> many of my hand tools are becoming rusty even though they are in a
    >> good metal tool box and there is no humidity to speak of this time of
    >> the year in our basement.
    >>
    >> Do any of you have constructive, non sarcastic suggestions of what I
    >> need to do to stop the problem?
    >>
    >> Thank you.

    >You and your rusty tools <G> ...
    >
    ><http://groups.google.com/group/24hoursupport.helpdesk/browse_thread/thread
    >/1128699a37374716?q=%22hand+tools+%22+author:Grandpa+author:Chuck> or
    ><http://xrl.us/beegqr> (July 2007 79 articles archived)
    >
    ><http://groups.google.com/group/24hoursupport.helpdesk/browse_thread/thread
    >/2ac15c719ef73f6b?q=%22hand+tools+%22+author:Grandpa+author:Chuck> or
    ><http://xrl.us/beegqt> (January 2008 59 articles archived)

    Fortunately that one has never rusted - - so far. LOL But then it gets
    more use than the others.

    Grandpa Chuck, Feb 1, 2009
  9. On Sat, 31 Jan 2009 14:17:06 -0800, "alan" <>
    wrote:

    >"Whiskers" <> wrote in message
    >> On 2009-01-31, Grandpa Chuck <> wrote:
    >>> many of my hand tools are becoming rusty even though they are in a
    >>> good metal tool box and there is no humidity to speak of this time of
    >>> the year in our basement.
    >>>
    >>> Do any of you have constructive, non sarcastic suggestions of what I
    >>> need to do to stop the problem?
    >>>
    >>> Thank you.

    >> You and your rusty tools <G> ...
    >>
    >> <http://groups.google.com/group/24hoursupport.helpdesk/browse_thread/thread
    >> /1128699a37374716?q=%22hand+tools+%22+author:Grandpa+author:Chuck> or
    >> <http://xrl.us/beegqr> (July 2007 79 articles archived)
    >>
    >> <http://groups.google.com/group/24hoursupport.helpdesk/browse_thread/thread
    >> /2ac15c719ef73f6b?q=%22hand+tools+%22+author:Grandpa+author:Chuck> or
    >> <http://xrl.us/beegqt> (January 2008 59 articles archived)
    >>
    >> --
    >> -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    >> -- Whiskers
    >> -- ~~~~~~~~~~

    >I had a feeling his inquiry was familiar. Wonder what kind of a kick he
    >gets out of his "rusty tools" inquiries?

    I don't know, but so far I haven't gotten any will prevent the rust
    from coming back. It is a serious question, by the way.

    Grandpa Chuck, Feb 1, 2009
  10. On Sat, 31 Jan 2009 16:50:10 -0700, "Buffalo" <>
    wrote:

    >alan wrote:
    >> "Whiskers" <> wrote in message

    >>> You and your rusty tools <G> ...
    >>>

    ><http://groups.google.com/group/24hoursupport.helpdesk/browse_thread/thread
    >>> /1128699a37374716?q=%22hand+tools+%22+author:Grandpa+author:Chuck> or
    >>> <http://xrl.us/beegqr> (July 2007 79 articles archived)
    >>>

    ><http://groups.google.com/group/24hoursupport.helpdesk/browse_thread/thread
    >>> /2ac15c719ef73f6b?q=%22hand+tools+%22+author:Grandpa+author:Chuck> or
    >>> <http://xrl.us/beegqt> (January 2008 59 articles archived)
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    >>> -- Whiskers
    >>> -- ~~~~~~~~~~

    >> I had a feeling his inquiry was familiar. Wonder what kind of a kick
    >> he gets out of his "rusty tools" inquiries?

    >He's probably just trying to get more ideas on what to do.
    >After reading some of the suggestions, I would bet that there is moisture
    >being trapped between the rubber drawer liners and the metal bottom of his
    >drawer trays in his metal cabinet.

    I took the rubber liners out of the drawers and replaced it with the
    open weave plastic or rubber such as you might use in a kitchen
    cupboard.

    Grandpa Chuck, Feb 1, 2009
  11. On Sat, 31 Jan 2009 14:59:16 -0700, "Buffalo" <>
    wrote:

    >Grandpa Chuck wrote:
    >> many of my hand tools are becoming rusty even though they are in a
    >> good metal tool box and there is no humidity to speak of this time of
    >> the year in our basement.
    >>
    >> Do any of you have constructive, non sarcastic suggestions of what I
    >> need to do to stop the problem?
    >>
    >> Thank you.

    >Oil them up some and/or use WD-40 and then put a fairly large oil
    >impregnated cloth on top to the tools inside the toolbox.
    >That usually helps a lot and make sure the tool box is not sitting on a
    >concrete floor or on a large metal surface.

    The tool boxes are the stackable ones that are on wheels.

    Grandpa Chuck, Feb 1, 2009
  12. On Sat, 31 Jan 2009 17:03:22 -0500, "dadiOH" <>
    wrote:

    >Grandpa Chuck wrote:
    >> many of my hand tools are becoming rusty even though they are in a
    >> good metal tool box and there is no humidity to speak of this time of
    >> the year in our basement.
    >>
    >> Do any of you have constructive, non sarcastic suggestions of what I
    >> need to do to stop the problem?

    >Put some camphor in the box. You should be able to get it at a drug store;
    >if not, just use moth balls.
    >
    >If you can get some of those little packets of silica gel that often come
    >with things that could be damaged by humidity, toss them in too. They need
    >to be dried out in a slow oven from time to time.

    It is rather humorous. I had a one pint plastic container with loose
    silica in it. I hadn't looked at it for a month or more. When I did it
    had at least a half an inch of water covering it. I had been running
    the dehumidifier but I have a problem with it freezing up. Then I have
    to shut it off until it completely thaws before turning it back on. I
    checked the coils to see if they were dirty. They weren't.

    Grandpa Chuck, Feb 1, 2009
  13. Grandpa Chuck

    Dan C Guest

    On Sat, 31 Jan 2009 21:19:54 +0000, Grandpa Chuck wrote:

    > many of my hand tools are becoming rusty even though they are in a good
    > metal tool box and there is no humidity to speak of this time of the
    > year in our basement.
    >
    > Do any of you have constructive, non sarcastic suggestions of what I
    > need to do to stop the problem?

    Haven't you asked this very same question a few times already?

    Use plastic fucking tools, you dumb old codger.

    Dan C, Feb 1, 2009
  14. On Sat, 31 Jan 2009 18:38:57 -0600, Lookout <>
    wrote:

    >On Sat, 31 Jan 2009 16:50:10 -0700, "Buffalo" <>
    >wrote:
    >

    >>alan wrote:
    >>> "Whiskers" <> wrote in message

    >><http://groups.google.com/group/24hoursupport.helpdesk/browse_thread/thread
    >>>>

    >><http://groups.google.com/group/24hoursupport.helpdesk/browse_thread/thread

    >>> I had a feeling his inquiry was familiar. Wonder what kind of a kick
    >>> he gets out of his "rusty tools" inquiries?

    >>He's probably just trying to get more ideas on what to do.
    >>After reading some of the suggestions, I would bet that there is moisture
    >>being trapped between the rubber drawer liners and the metal bottom of his
    >>drawer trays in his metal cabinet.
    >>

    >Do as your grandfather did and put a light coating of oil on them when
    >you store them

    Larger tools such as we use in the garden are put in a bucket of sand
    with motor oil in it.

    Grandpa Chuck, Feb 1, 2009
  15. On 01 Feb 2009 01:26:43 GMT, Dan C <>
    wrote:

    >On Sat, 31 Jan 2009 21:19:54 +0000, Grandpa Chuck wrote:
    >
    >> many of my hand tools are becoming rusty even though they are in a good
    >> metal tool box and there is no humidity to speak of this time of the
    >> year in our basement.
    >>
    >> Do any of you have constructive, non sarcastic suggestions of what I
    >> need to do to stop the problem?

    >Haven't you asked this very same question a few times already?

    Something similar early last summer.

    >Use plastic fucking tools, you dumb old codger.

    Isn't the respect from low lifes such as you a wonderful thing? People
    like you should not be allowed to participate in newsgroups at all.

    If the previous answers that I got several month ago had worked I
    would not be asking again.

    Call me an old codger if you like, but at least give me the respect
    that I deserve. After all I have been using hand tools for more years
    then you have been wasting air.

    Grandpa Chuck, Feb 1, 2009
  16. Grandpa Chuck

    Dan C Guest

    On Sun, 01 Feb 2009 03:57:01 +0000, Grandpa Chuck wrote:

    >>Haven't you asked this very same question a few times already?

    > Something similar early last summer.

    Similar? How about "exactly".

    >>Use plastic fucking tools, you dumb old codger.

    > Isn't the respect from low lifes such as you a wonderful thing? People
    > like you should not be allowed to participate in newsgroups at all.

    A repetitive troll doesn't earn any "respect", you dipshit.

    > If the previous answers that I got several month ago had worked I would
    > not be asking again.

    Buy new tools, dumbass. They actually make them so they don't rust
    nowadays.

    > Call me an old codger if you like, but at least give me the respect that
    > I deserve. After all I have been using hand tools for more years then
    > you have been wasting air.

    **** you, doofus. You haven't earned any respect, and trolls don't get
    any, ever.

    Dan C, Feb 1, 2009
  17. Grandpa Chuck

    Old Gringo Guest

    On Or About This Time And Date In History Grandpa Chuck Stumbled Over
    To The Keyboard And Pecked Out The Following::
    > On Sat, 31 Jan 2009 17:03:22 -0500, "dadiOH" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Grandpa Chuck wrote:
    >>> many of my hand tools are becoming rusty even though they are in a
    >>> good metal tool box and there is no humidity to speak of this time of
    >>> the year in our basement.
    >>>
    >>> Do any of you have constructive, non sarcastic suggestions of what I
    >>> need to do to stop the problem?

    >> Put some camphor in the box. You should be able to get it at a drug store;
    >> if not, just use moth balls.
    >>
    >> If you can get some of those little packets of silica gel that often come
    >> with things that could be damaged by humidity, toss them in too. They need
    >> to be dried out in a slow oven from time to time.

    > It is rather humorous. I had a one pint plastic container with loose
    > silica in it. I hadn't looked at it for a month or more. When I did it
    > had at least a half an inch of water covering it. I had been running
    > the dehumidifier but I have a problem with it freezing up. Then I have
    > to shut it off until it completely thaws before turning it back on. I
    > checked the coils to see if they were dirty. They weren't.

    Freezing up is a sign it's low on freon.

    --
    Old Gringo
    Just West Of Nowhere

    Old Gringo, Feb 1, 2009
  18. Grandpa Chuck

    Old Gringo Guest

    On Or About This Time And Date In History Grandpa Chuck Stumbled Over
    To The Keyboard And Pecked Out The Following::
    > On Sat, 31 Jan 2009 14:17:06 -0800, "alan" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> "Whiskers" <> wrote in message

    >>> You and your rusty tools <G> ...
    >>>
    >>> <http://groups.google.com/group/24hoursupport.helpdesk/browse_thread/thread
    >>> /1128699a37374716?q=%22hand+tools+%22+author:Grandpa+author:Chuck> or
    >>> <http://xrl.us/beegqr> (July 2007 79 articles archived)
    >>>
    >>> <http://groups.google.com/group/24hoursupport.helpdesk/browse_thread/thread
    >>> /2ac15c719ef73f6b?q=%22hand+tools+%22+author:Grandpa+author:Chuck> or
    >>> <http://xrl.us/beegqt> (January 2008 59 articles archived)
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    >>> -- Whiskers
    >>> -- ~~~~~~~~~~

    >> I had a feeling his inquiry was familiar. Wonder what kind of a kick he
    >> gets out of his "rusty tools" inquiries?

    > I don't know, but so far I haven't gotten any will prevent the rust
    > from coming back. It is a serious question, by the way.

    Buy better quality tools.

    Old Gringo, Feb 1, 2009
  19. Grandpa Chuck

    elaich Guest

    "JAMES" <> wrote in news:qb3hl.432$z9.31
    @bignews1.bellsouth.net:

    > Use WD 40

    PB Blaster has a lot more kerosene content than WD40.

    Come to think of it, just use kerosene.

    elaich, Feb 1, 2009
  20. Grandpa Chuck

    VanguardLH Guest

    Grandpa Chuck wrote:

    > many of my hand tools are becoming rusty even though they are in a
    > good metal tool box and there is no humidity to speak of this time of
    > the year in our basement.
    >
    > Do any of you have constructive, non sarcastic suggestions of what I
    > need to do to stop the problem?
    >
    > Thank you.

    Again with the rusty tools. So are we going to hear each year about
    your rusting tools during winter? Follow the advice you were given last
    year.

    http://groups.google.com/group/24ho..._frm/thread/2ac15c719ef73f6b/a504d7bb0fc1f8d6

    VanguardLH, Feb 1, 2009